External storage device not working, games won't play

Discus and support External storage device not working, games won't play in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I am not knowledgeable about this stuff so idk what's going on. I have an external storage device that used to work but awhile back I noticed when it... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Sephen ��� Flemming, Jul 14, 2023.

1. External storage device not working, games won't play

I am not knowledgeable about this stuff so idk what's going on. I have an external storage device that used to work but awhile back I noticed when it was plugged in my games wouldn't start. I unplugged it to play my games but now my Xbox storage is full and I was wondering what was wrong so I can play games with it again. Also, I've tried to uninstall a game from the device and it wouldn't uninstall either.

:)

Sephen ��� Flemming, Jul 14, 2023
  2. Sephen 👌🏾👽 Win User

I have a Xbox series x.

The storage device is detected most of the times. I'm not sure the last time it worked. I am not getting any error codes.
  3. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Sephen 👌🏾👽 Flemming,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Does it mean you cannot play the game when using the external storage and the games directly installed in Xbox hard drive? If the external storage is detected and still won't able to play the games, it is possible that the issue is on your external storage. If your device does not play when using either the hard drive and external storage, then the problem will be on your Xbox console.

If we may ask also, did you try resetting your console to factory defaults by keeping your games and apps? If not yet, follow the steps below:

• Press the Xbox button  to open the guide.
    • Select Profile & system > Settings > System > Console info > Reset console.
    • On the Reset your console? screen, you'll see three options: Select Reset and keep my games & apps. Use this option as your first choice when troubleshooting. It will reset the OS and delete all potentially corrupted data without deleting your games and apps.

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

4. Tomm_A Win User

Hello Sephen 👌🏾👽 Flemming,

Greetings!

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

It appears that the external storage of your Xbox Console is not working when playing games. Let us check on this together and sort this out. Rest assured that we will provide enough information on how to resolve your concern.

We would like to ask few questions to help us isolate the issue further.

1. What type of Xbox Console are you using?

2. When the external storage device is connected to your console, does your console detect it?

3. When was the last time it was working?

4. Are you getting an error message or error code?

If your console does not detect the external storage device, it is possible that your console needs an update. For your reference on how to troubleshoot when external storage is not detected, see the link below:

We look forward to your response. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

5. Tomm_A Win User

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

6. WPAK Win User

Xbox one games crashing upon launch

Hi there,

just to be sure, are the games installed on the internal storage device or an external storage device?

If they are installed on an external storage device, please try and see what happens if the game is installed on the internal storage device and the external storage device is disconnected.
Thema:

1. External storage device not working, games won't play - Similar Threads - External storage device

2. How do I download a game and save it to external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I download a game and save it to external storage: It's not recognizing my phone is hooked up 514d0140-7277-4cdc-a56e-2413691971e0
  3. Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One S not registering external storage when it was fine this morning until I ended my...: My xbox is not detecting my external hard drive anymore. It was fine when I turned on the xbox this morning and started streaming. I could see all of my installed games and everything was fine....
  4. My external storage device says it’s full but it’s empty. How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external storage device says it’s full but it’s empty. How do I fix this?: My Seagate Xbox External Storage device says that it is full while’s it’s not. I tried restarting the Xbox, power cycles, resetting the Xbox, and other usb ports but it still says it’s full how do...
  5. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  6. Xbox one S digital external storage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one S digital external storage: If I add an external storage to my Xbox one s all digital console, will I have to transfer games back and forth to be able to use them? Or does it work together, variations playing off of the...
  7. Okay so external storage device

in XBoX on Consoles
    Okay so external storage device: I have tried literally every "Useful" tip under the sun at this point and it's STILL not being detected, it was working fine one night then I woke up and it hasn't worked ever since....
  8. If my external storage device stops working can I get a new one and keep all of my data?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If my external storage device stops working can I get a new one and keep all of my data?: My external storage device isn't being read and I don't know if it's the USB ports going bad or the hard drive. I just want to know if I can keep my data. ( Also I own a 2014 Xbox One)...
  9. Xbox Series S Storage problem moving games from external storage Device to internal Storage

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Series S Storage problem moving games from external storage Device to internal Storage: Instale un disco duro externo en mi Xbox series S para almacenar juegos de que algunos juegos optimizados para la nueva generación no pueden ser reproducidos directamente del disco duro y tienen...
  10. I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps on disconnecting.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps on disconnecting.: I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps saying it's disconnected and the reconnected and giving me an error code 0x87e1001f when I play a game in my external drive when...