External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

Discus and support External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an xbox 360 that was running off a 8GB USB thumb drive with NO internal drive. I just purchased an seagate 2TB external usb game drive for xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SnobbyOrc179266, Dec 5, 2015.

1. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

I have an xbox 360 that was running off a 8GB USB thumb drive with NO internal drive.

I just purchased an seagate 2TB external usb game drive for xbox which is compatible with both the xbox one and xbox 360. When I started a game it asks where I want to store the game and I chose the external 2TB drive. I get the error “Device not allowed”.
    “The game only permits installing HD content on the Xbox 360 Hard Drive”. I bought a genuine Xbox USB external drive was expecting it to work seamlessly.

:)

SnobbyOrc179266, Dec 5, 2015
  2. Sailorwes
    Sailorwes Guest
    Hard Drive.

Installed Seagate 2TB for Xbox 360. Formatted by xbox and everything appeard .

Went to install Battlefield 4 on Hard Drive.

Error Message.

Device Not allowed.

The Game only permits installing HD content on the Xbox 360 Hard Drive.

Do not know what could be the problem here.

Any advice?

Ty

Wes Watson

Sailorwes, Dec 5, 2015
  3. NiKki NiNe
    NiKki NiNe Guest
    Transferring Installed Games from one External HD to another External HD?

Okay so I recently installed all of my physical games (100+ 360 games) onto a 2TB external HD. I was running out of room on my 2TB Xbox One external drive so I upgraded that to a 4tb drive. My original Xbox one 2tb HD was the green Seagate 'xbox' branded
    unit So I want to use that now for my 360. So I want to tranfer everything from a 2tb external drive to a different 2tb external drive.

When I go to transfer the data, it will only let me transfer downloadable content and downloaded games purchased from the xbox store - it will not let me transfer installed game data. Is this normal?

I really dont want to have to re-install 100+ games, that took me like 3 days to complete!

Thanks

-Nick

NiKki NiNe, Dec 5, 2015
  4. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

some external devices might not work or you might need to format them again to be compatable with your system. Personally i have never seen this problem so if you can try to get the hard drive replaced for a different one.

SkyDoes360 ED, Dec 6, 2015
  5. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest
    Which game are you trying to download? It is not very often but I have seen games actually require an official Xbox hard drive.

Also, Seagate drives are known for having issues with Xbox consoles.

onyxishere, Dec 6, 2015
  6. The game I was trying to load from disc to the 2TB drive was Battlefield 4. It does look like it requires an HD drive.

SnobbyOrc179266, Dec 6, 2015
  7. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest
    Battlefield 4 cannot be installed and played on the Xbox 360 slim model's 4GB internal flash drive without an additional hard drive with a minimum of 2GB of space available. Hard drives are sold separately for the Xbox 360 slim, Arcade, and Core models
    but must be internal for this content to work.

help.ea.com/.../battlefield-4-xbox-360-install-guide

onyxishere, Dec 6, 2015
  8. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error

I am having same issue with Need for Speed Rivals, have tried formatting reinstalling nothing seems to work, please help, I have Seagate 2TB game drive for Xbox

FinestEarth851, Oct 31, 2018
  9. FinestEarth851 Win User

I am having same issue with Need for Speed Rivals, have tried formatting reinstalling nothing seems to work, please help, I have Seagate 2TB game drive for Xbox
  10. SnobbyOrc179266 Win User

The game I was trying to load from disc to the 2TB drive was Battlefield 4. It does look like it requires an HD drive.
  11. onyxishere Win User

Which game are you trying to download? It is not very often but I have seen games actually require an official Xbox hard drive.

Also, Seagate drives are known for having issues with Xbox consoles.
  12. onyxishere Win User

Battlefield 4 cannot be installed and played on the Xbox 360 slim model's 4GB internal flash drive without an additional hard drive with a minimum of 2GB of space available. Hard drives are sold separately for the Xbox 360 slim, Arcade, and Core models
    but must be internal for this content to work.

help.ea.com/.../battlefield-4-xbox-360-install-guide
  13. SkyDoes360 ED Win User

some external devices might not work or you might need to format them again to be compatable with your system. Personally i have never seen this problem so if you can try to get the hard drive replaced for a different one.
Thema:

1. External Seagate 2TB Game Drive for Xbox 360 gets Device not allowed error - Similar Threads - External Seagate 2TB

2. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  3. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  4. Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?: After the update to the Xbox console recently my external hard drive isn’t connecting to my Xbox anymore. I have the Xbox series x and a 5T external Seagate hard drive. Is it happening to others...
  5. Games are not working on seagate external hard drive?

in XBoX on Windows
    Games are not working on seagate external hard drive?: I got the seagate external hard drive optimized for Xbox x/s but I can’t play some games such as apex or overwatch, I thought the seagate external hard drive let you play Xbox x/s optimized games...
  6. Why does my Seagate external hard drive its full but its empty

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Seagate external hard drive its full but its empty: I have a seagate hard drive and I've been trying to get ot to work but I can't it says 100% full but also thats theirs nothing at all on it even when i check it on my computer its says that theirs...
  7. Seagate external expansion ssd card not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate external expansion ssd card not working: I bought a external seagate expansion card 2TB to use on my Xbox series S and it’ll allow me to down things to it and once I try to play any game off of it it’ll play 2-3 minutes then kicks you...
  8. Help with my external drive by seagate

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Help with my external drive by seagate: So I downloaded a game called “Conan Exiles on to my external drive storage and when I went to go play the game it bugged out and said “could no longer detect external drive” or something like...
  9. My Seagate Xbox external drive will appear and disappear on my xbox

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My Seagate Xbox external drive will appear and disappear on my xbox: I have tried every possible method of fixing it such as plugging it in different ports and changing my power settings. It will appear for a couple of minutes but then just disappear off of my Xbox...
  10. External seagate hard drive light not on but is still getting power

in XBoX on Consoles
    External seagate hard drive light not on but is still getting power: Hi if anyone can help with this I will be so grateful. But my hard drive went out on me with all my games in it and now I'm having the problem of the hard drive light not coming on, but I can feel...