External Hard Drive power settings when set as default. Best settings?

Discus and support External Hard Drive power settings when set as default. Best settings? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, i recently purchased an external 2 TB Western Digital Passport X drive for Xbox. By default, the option "turn storage off when xbox is off" is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by IrfanIntekhab, Jan 28, 2016.

1. External Hard Drive power settings when set as default. Best settings?

Hi, i recently purchased an external 2 TB Western Digital Passport X drive for Xbox. By default, the option "turn storage off when xbox is off" is checked, my Hard drive i have selected as default to download all the games and apps into.

My question is, if i keep the external hard drive as default and purchase a game from my mobile device, previously it would download the game, when xbox was switched off, but now my external storage would be switched off due to this option. Will it still
    download the game?

i don't want to keep my drive turned on always as it sounds like it would wear off quickly.

but i dont know hence, what is the recommended setting for longevity of the drive? to keep the "turn storage off when xbox is off" option checked or unchecked?

:)

IrfanIntekhab, Jan 28, 2016
  2. Morbidpsycho
    Morbidpsycho Guest
    External Hard Drive

Not sure , I'll check and let you know what I find.

ok , I found out how to do it . Find the settings then go to System then from System find the column that has Storage listed at the top. Underneath it should have "Manage Storage" . Then when I click on that it says Storage Select a device to see its options and I have an Internal and my formatted X box external hard drive . Move the Highlight from the Internal to the External hard drive and click the "A" button on the controller and it brings up a list
    View Contents , Install here by default , Rename , and Format.
    So just highlight the Install here by Default and your games will install on the External hard drive instead of the Internal.

I hope this helps out .

Morbidpsycho, Jan 28, 2016
  3. DogRox1
    DogRox1 Guest
    How to make external hard drive the main download drive?

hi, I'm just up dating my post about the external hard drive., as found a new issue. It seems that when I set the Power and Startup set to "Instant On", and the setting "When Xbox is off turn off storage", is unchecked, and I'm using the external hard drive
    at the main download hard drive. When I'm downloading updates, games or DLC it seems to NOT want to work automatically in sleep mode when I shut the Xbox off. Although the power light stays on the power supply, and still connected to network, as I can see
    the light on my switcher, i notice the external hard drive power is off. and nothing is getting downloaded. updates and DLC do not get downloaded to the external hard drive in instant on mode? it seems I have to put it back into energy saving mode before
    I start downloading, and let the Xbox stay on the whole time. is there another setting that I missing to fix this?

DogRox1, Jan 28, 2016
  4. John Dowding
    John Dowding Guest

I don't think it does, mine is set the same, and If I download games from here, I have to manually install when I get home, console and game updates seem to work fine though which is a bit odd..

John Dowding, Jan 28, 2016
  5. Farscape247
    Farscape247 Guest
    i have the 2tb western digital passport, when the console is in instant on and storage is set to turn off, it still downloads, it just starts the hdd up and downloads then goes back to sleep

Farscape247, Jan 28, 2016
  6. John Dowding
    John Dowding Guest
    ^That's what I thought was supposed to happen but my 4TB only seems to do updates not game installs...mmmm...maybe I need to check settings..

John Dowding, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Farscape247
    Farscape247 Guest
    might have my wires crossed, are you using the usb3 passport usb powered drive or the one that runs on main power.

Farscape247, Jan 29, 2016
  8. Farscape247
    Farscape247 Guest

i think there is an app for the pc that gives you options to adjust the sleep and power saving features of the drive from within the firmware, a proper WD app. I just can't remember where to find it, think you can disable the auto shutdown so the OS that
    the HDD is attached to controls it instead. If i make sense

Farscape247, Oct 31, 2018
  9. Farscape247 Win User

i think there is an app for the pc that gives you options to adjust the sleep and power saving features of the drive from within the firmware, a proper WD app. I just can't remember where to find it, think you can disable the auto shutdown so the OS that
    the HDD is attached to controls it instead. If i make sense
  10. Farscape247 Win User

i have the 2tb western digital passport, when the console is in instant on and storage is set to turn off, it still downloads, it just starts the hdd up and downloads then goes back to sleep
  11. John Dowding Win User

I don't think it does, mine is set the same, and If I download games from here, I have to manually install when I get home, console and game updates seem to work fine though which is a bit odd..
  12. Farscape247 Win User

might have my wires crossed, are you using the usb3 passport usb powered drive or the one that runs on main power.
  13. John Dowding Win User

^That's what I thought was supposed to happen but my 4TB only seems to do updates not game installs...mmmm...maybe I need to check settings..
Thema:

1. External Hard Drive power settings when set as default. Best settings? - Similar Threads - External Hard Drive

2. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  3. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  4. Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze: I had my fiest ever freeze in the my games and apps library and my console makes an electric noise when the hdd storage device is in and stops when I unplug it. I was wondering could my external...
  5. External Hard drives?

in XBoX on Windows
    External Hard drives?: yeah i have a 500gb 3.0 usb external and wondering can i play games from my external if they are not optimized for series x/s? i have an xbox series s if that help?...
  6. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  7. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  8. My external hard drive won't record multiple videos

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external hard drive won't record multiple videos: The new Xbox next gen capture update has ruined my recording experience with recording long form gameplay on the Next Gen Xbox. I used to be able to record multiple hours worth of video content to...
  9. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  10. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99