External hard drive causing xbox to stop working

Discus and support External hard drive causing xbox to stop working in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; So I have no idea what's going on so I'll lay out what I did and maybe someone can help. I just started up my xbox one to play nba 2k. The power to my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by STONEWALL9001, Mar 6, 2016.

1. External hard drive causing xbox to stop working

So I have no idea what's going on so I'll lay out what I did and maybe someone can help. I just started up my xbox one to play nba 2k. The power to my external HD was unplugged so when I started the game it went to install and told me it was going to install
    a 2.4 GB update. I realized my hard drive want plugged in and then plugged it in. My xbox then stopped working. Controllers shut off, hdmi kept going in and out of registering on my TV (always a black screen or no signal detected) and my xbox light was on
    showing the console was on. My xbox now works fine without the hard drive plugged in, but when I plug in the hard drive, the controllers again disconnect and the system no longer works. Once I again unplug the hard drive, the system boots up as if it had been
    hard reset. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

:)

STONEWALL9001, Mar 6, 2016
  2. Xbox One will not recognize second external hard drive

Hello All:

I have an xbox one. I have been using two external hard drives with it. Recently the xbox stopped recognizing that the second hard drive was connected. I figured the hard drive quit working, so I purchase a new 4tb Seagate Xbox External Hard Drive to
    use. I plugged it in and the xbox did not recognize it either. I have done hard reboots, switch usb ports, switch cables, etc... and nothing that I do gets the xbox to recognize either the original second external hard drive that was working perfectly or
    the new second external hard drive. Even when I remove the first external hard drive, and hard reboot, the xbox will still not recognize the either the new external hard drive or the drive that had worked well in the past as a second external hard drive.
    I figure something is wrong with my xbox one. Please advise what I should do.

Thank you!

murphiemurphie, Mar 6, 2016
  3. MichaelF99
    MichaelF99 Guest
    my 3.0 usb ports aren't working kinda

yeah a controller is working for my xbox one but my external hard drive which is a 3tb seagate is not working so my usb ports work fine its just for some reason the external hard drive isn't so any other suggestions or should i just get a new hard drive
    and try again

MichaelF99, Mar 6, 2016
  4. Hoskayra Win User

Xbox and controller not working

hello again Gus

The fact that your controller stops unpairing and your games load smoother when your external hard drive is disconnected suggests that the external hard drive might be causing the issues you've been experiencing.

Here are some possible explanations and next steps:

Possible explanations:

Overworked USB port: Connecting an external hard drive draws additional power from the USB port. If the port is overloaded, it might be causing the controller to disconnect and games to lag.
    Incompatible hard drive: Not all external hard drives are compatible with Xbox consoles. An incompatible drive might cause performance issues and instability.
    Hardware issues: The hard drive itself might be malfunctioning or experiencing hardware failures.
    Next steps:

Test with another USB port: Try connecting the external hard drive to another USB port on your Xbox. This will help determine if the issue is specific to a particular port.
    Format the hard drive: Reformatting the hard drive can fix any corrupted data or file system issues that might be causing performance problems. However, remember that this will erase all data on the drive, so back up your important files before proceeding.
    Use a different external hard drive: If you have another external hard drive, try connecting it to your Xbox and see if the issues persist. This will help determine if the problem is specific to the original hard drive.

I hope this helps! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.
  5. Herminator95 Win User

Can’t sign in to Xbox profile after factory reset

I eventually got in to work with the help of an Xbox expert. My external hard drive was malfunctioning and that was causing the problem.
  6. HelpFF Win User

Why did my Xbox uninstall and delete my profile?

I noticed that my external hard drive stopped working. Which had everything on it.
  7. SammyVS Win User

Destiny 2 "Problem reading game content"

It's just to isolate the problem. If it works without the external hard drive, it may be the cause of the problem.
  8. Francia J. Win User

Game not start

If that didn't work, may I ask if you have an external hard drive plugged into your console? A corrupted hard drive may cause issues.
Thema:

External hard drive causing xbox to stop working

1. External hard drive causing xbox to stop working - Similar Threads - External hard drive

2. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  3. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  4. Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze: I had my fiest ever freeze in the my games and apps library and my console makes an electric noise when the hdd storage device is in and stops when I unplug it. I was wondering could my external...
  5. External Hard drives?

in XBoX on Windows
    External Hard drives?: yeah i have a 500gb 3.0 usb external and wondering can i play games from my external if they are not optimized for series x/s? i have an xbox series s if that help?...
  6. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  7. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  8. My external hard drive won't record multiple videos

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external hard drive won't record multiple videos: The new Xbox next gen capture update has ruined my recording experience with recording long form gameplay on the Next Gen Xbox. I used to be able to record multiple hours worth of video content to...
  9. External hard drive is confusing.

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard drive is confusing.: So this is my first post on here and frankly I'm confused. My external hard drive isn't that old but from the very beginning of owning it, it's been weird with actually connecting to my Xbox...
  10. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99