External hard disk for Xbox One X: can I buy a USB key?

Discus and support External hard disk for Xbox One X: can I buy a USB key? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I need an external hard disk for my xbox One x. I think that I need not more than 256/512GB at maximum and if possible i would like to avoid to buy... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by legolas119, Apr 19, 2021.

1. legolas119
    legolas119 Guest

Hi

I need an external hard disk for my xbox One x. I think that I need not more than 256/512GB at maximum and if possible i would like to avoid to buy an external hdd. I would prefer a little usb key 3.0 like this one:

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07857Y17V/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Do you know if it should be fast enough in order to load games? Or is it better an external hdd like these:

https://www.amazon.it/Seagate-Unit%C3%A0-Drive-portatile-bianco/dp/B01065S79E?th=1&tag=toms-bestof-21&ascsubtag=12096-hard-disk-esterni-ps4-xbox-one&linkCode=ogi

https://www.amazon.it/Toshiba-canvio-HDTB410EK3AA-esterno-portatile-dp-B07997KKSK/dp/B07997KKSK/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B005X7AXXE/?tag=hardisketerno-21

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06VVS7S94/?tag=hardisketerno-21&th=1

Thank you for your help!

:)

legolas119, Apr 19, 2021
  2. legolas119 Win User

ah, really? I thought that I could use a usb key 3.0 too..

o, if I buy for example this WD: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06W55K9N6/?tag=hardisketerno-21&th=1, in order to configure it for xbox one x, I should only connect it to the console and then a pop up message will suggest the actions that I have to do in order to configure it, is that right?

Last question: if I set it as primary storage, all my new games, the dlc, the games updates and so on will automatically be saved in this external drive, is this correct? Currently I only have 35GB free in my internal hdd and i would like to keep them free: so, for this reason, if i have a game installed in my internal hdd, if I have to download new updated or DLC, i can install them in the external drive, correct?

thank you very much
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi

USB Flash can't be used for Xbox One Game storage.

The hard drives you linked should all work fine. The Xbox branded drive is already configured for use on the console.
  4. legolas119 Win User

i tried every port...and I tried to format it with pc, but i don't solve the issue...microsoft told me that even if it is an USB hdd, it isn't supported...so I returned it to Amazon immediately and i will buy the Seagate hdd officially supported by xbox one, so i will be sure that it is supported..
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

Yes that drive should work. It will ask you to format it for game storage.

Once it's set up and set as default, all new content goes to this drive.
  6. SwordofWhedon Win User

Try a different port. The hard drive must be formatted to be used
Thema:

1. External hard disk for Xbox One X: can I buy a USB key? - Similar Threads - External hard disk

2. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  3. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  4. Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can my external hard drive cause my xbox series x to freeze: I had my fiest ever freeze in the my games and apps library and my console makes an electric noise when the hdd storage device is in and stops when I unplug it. I was wondering could my external...
  5. External Hard drives?

in XBoX on Windows
    External Hard drives?: yeah i have a 500gb 3.0 usb external and wondering can i play games from my external if they are not optimized for series x/s? i have an xbox series s if that help?...
  6. I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I just got a 5tb external hard drive and it is only showing 456.7GB of available storage?: It was purchased from Walmart and everything looks to be original. Had the correct seal and says 5tb on it. 49ee7566-fc65-42c2-aef9-ed50d09771ff
  7. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  8. My external hard drive won't record multiple videos

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external hard drive won't record multiple videos: The new Xbox next gen capture update has ruined my recording experience with recording long form gameplay on the Next Gen Xbox. I used to be able to record multiple hours worth of video content to...
  9. External hard disk

in XBoX on Consoles
    External hard disk: Hello everyone I'm just looking for an advice here if someone could give me a definitive answer to a question that has been bugging me for a while. I've recently bought a new external hard...
  10. Can i leave my games on a external hard disk in order to the new owner to play them without...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can i leave my games on a external hard disk in order to the new owner to play them without...: I want to be sure if i leave all my games on the external hard disk, the new owner will not be able to access to my bank details. Thanks for your help f7d7f530-859f-424a-bf74-f0ee5e971e30