Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

Discus and support Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, As the title suggests my ethernet connection between my xboxone console and my internet router keeps constantly dropping, however the wireless... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SecretAgentSam, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

Hi,

As the title suggests my ethernet connection between my xboxone console and my internet router keeps constantly dropping, however the wireless connection works perfectly fine and never drops. The result of this connection problem are my xboxone console constantly
    discconecting from xbox live and multiplayer games or any other interent based activity on the console, however as i mentioned before when using WIFI this never happens. I have tried a few different ethernet cables (all of which are working completely fine
    with other devices) and I have also tried all other ethernet ports on my router and the same thing happens. Other devices in my home such as laptops and desktop PC's are not having this issue at all.

A sample of the logs from my router showing the connection dropping are as follows:

Feb 3 21:04:18 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:19 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 3 21:04:23 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:25 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 3 21:04:31 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:33 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 3 21:04:37 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:39 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 3 21:04:44 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:45 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 3 21:04:52 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link DOWN.

Feb 3 21:04:54 syslog: eth1 (Int switch port: 0) (Logical Port: 0) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

As i mentioned earlier its the same scenario if i use any of the other ethernet ports on my router and as you can see from the logs this is a constant thing that happens continuasly every 5 seconds or so, so as you can imagine it makes using an etherent
    connection for my console impossible. This even happens while the console is turned off in "instant on" mode.

My Interent Service Provider is SKY just incase that has any relevance to this problem although I am pretty sure the router is not to blame here as no other devices in my home suffer from this problem.

Any help is really appreciated.

:)

SecretAgentSam, Feb 3, 2016
  2. Shaftexx
    Shaftexx Guest
    Ethernet Connection Between XBox One & PC Causing Issues..........

Now my issue is trying to make my ethernet connection work between my XBox One & PC, without my PC's wifi constantly disconnecting & reconnecting... My router is in another room, so there's nothing I can do. I created a "shared" connection between my XBox
    One & my PC. If I disable the ethernet connection on my computer, the wifi stays active 100%, but as soon as I re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi on my PC drops, reconnects, drops, etc.... Very annoying......... Can someone help???

Shaftexx, Feb 3, 2016
  3. Jamesx82x
    Jamesx82x Guest
    How to Connect Internet Cable directly to Xbox 360

Need a bit more info here like do you have a modem or is your router a modem/router combo?

The router which provides your wifi needs to have ethernet ports to connect to your 360 or you need to bypass your router and connect direct to 360 as you said you tried.

If you have a modem you need to unplug it and plug it back in and make sure the 360 is set to a wired connection and not wireless still.

if the ethernet cable you have going into your router doesnt come from a modem but directly from a drop like how Verizon Fios is set up sometimes then you should just need to make sure 360 is set up for a wired connection and not wireless.

Your best bet is to buy an extra ethernet cable which it appears you dont have yet and go direct from router to 360 and not lose your wifi in the process by skipping the router. The cable is going to be under $10

Jamesx82x, Feb 3, 2016
  4. Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

It's possible you have a bad port on the Xbox , but in my experience , it's almost always the router....only way to really be sure is to either try another router at you location or take the Xbox to a differant location and plug it in..

RobertBuckalew, Feb 3, 2016
  5. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Try a power fail/restart on all your network equipment. Then perform a hard reset on your console as follows Hold the power button on the console for 10 seconds or until the power shuts down completely. Unplug the power cord from the back of the console
    for 5 minutes. Plug the power cord back in and restart the console. Once it is back up and operational test for results.

If that doesn't work you may have a bad LAN card in the console that needs to be replaced
    http://support.xbox.com/

If you can take your console to a friends and try it wired on their router that will tell you for sure if it is a console or a router issue.

Good Luck!

{Parity}, Feb 3, 2016
  6. I have already tried a hard reset on all equipment (unplugging everything completely for 5 minutes and this did not fix the issue. Today I will take the console to my parents house and test it with their router and post the results back here.

SecretAgentSam, Feb 3, 2016
  7. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    Thanks looking forward to getting your results. Good Luck!

{Parity}, Feb 4, 2016
  8. Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

OK, so instead of taking my console to my parents house i got my ISP (Sky) to send me a brand new router by claiming my old one was totally broke. It arrived this morning. Now basically the situation is that i turned on the xbox and everything seemed fine,
    I had it on for a good hour at least and there were no disconnections or anything of the sort, checked router logs during this time and nothing, no links dropping or anything, empty log, great.

But when i turned the console off into "instant on" mode and then checked the logs i gert this constantly:

Feb 5 09:07:53 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:07:55 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:08 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:10 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:12 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:13 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:18 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:20 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:27 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:29 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:30 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:32 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:38 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:40 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:47 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:49 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:52 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:08:53 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:08:59 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:09:01 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:09:07 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:09:09 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:09:49 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:09:50 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:10:38 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:10:40 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:13:14 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:13:16 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:14:39 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:14:41 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Feb 5 09:15:13 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link DOWN.

Feb 5 09:15:14 syslog: eth3 (switch port: 2) Link UP 10 mbps full duplex

So basically my question becomes this; is it fixed or isn't it? is this normal behaviour for the console and router to be having while turned of in instant on mode? you will also notice in the new logs that now instead of just getting "Link Down - Link up
    100MPS" i am getting "Link up 10MPS" sometimes, I never had this before on the old router.

So is it just coincidence that the console worked for an hour while i had it powered on? (i did sometimes used to get it where it would seemingly work for a perioid of time). It seems pretty definitive now that that this router behavior only happens while
    the console is powered off in "instant On" mode, since I am still under warranty do you suggest that there may still be an issue with the console that is worth sending it in for, or can someone who is more tech saviey tell me that this router behaviour between
    the console and router is normal? Again no other devices connected through ethernet cause this "Link down - Link Up" behaviour.

Thanks.

SecretAgentSam, Feb 4, 2016
  9. Also forgot to mention that although this problem now seems like a non-problem since it's happening when the console is powered off, it means that things like xboxone glass and the Windows 10 Xbox app can not connect to the console while it's turned off
    since the console completely disappears and reappears from the LAN all the time.

SecretAgentSam, Feb 4, 2016
  10. EdragonXX
    EdragonXX Guest
    I did not get it at the moment. This log looks like something trying to wake up your console when your console is sleep mode (switched off but using INSTANT ON mode). Or does it same when your are playing? It should not. It should happen only you switch
    console off and then you have your devices (phones) who are checking your console again and again and again.

Switch your other devices OFF (for testing) and your log should be clear after that.

EdragonXX, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Just turned off my phone and fully removed power from my pc. So now that is every device that could possibly be trying to connect to the console turned off. I Hard reset the console and router again and its still happening. Also yes it does happen when the
    console is on just not as frequently. Since my posts from this morning i have had the console on for a good 3 hours and within that time i have had this "link down - link up" connection drop multiple times. Its just not as frequent as when the console is off.
    As you can see from logs when console is off its literally happening every 5 seconds non-stop. Also i am no expert but i do know a bit about PC's and technology in general and as far as i can tell from my own knowledge and using google, the fact that the router
    logs are sometimes saying 10 MBPS instead of 100 MBPS is a bad sign. Apparantly no hardware these days runs at 10 MBPS especially an xboxone.

SecretAgentSam, Feb 5, 2016
  12. taidara
    taidara Guest
    What is the model number of your Sky hub?

So far, I've only seen this behaviour on the Sky hub.

This make me wonder if there's a protocol that is not employed with your Sky hubs protocol stack, which operates on your Xbox One when its power mode is set to Instant-on.

Does your parents also use the Sky hub?

This is not a normal behaviour when an interface, on each devices, that automatically negotiates the speed and try to pick the best option that both devices supports and agree upon.

taidara, Feb 6, 2016
  13. Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

My sky hub is model number SR102. I never used my parents router after I just had a new one sent me by sky so it's identical to the last one. My parents have a totally different ISP alltogether, do you think it's worth testing the Xbox using a totally different
    ISP?

SecretAgentSam, Feb 6, 2016
  14. {Parity}
    {Parity} Guest
    I do. If they are using a different provider with different hardware it, IMO, would definitely be worth trying it. Keep us informed. Good Luck!

{Parity}, Feb 6, 2016
  15. taidara
    taidara Guest
    May I ask if you have your Xbox One directly plugged into the wall outlet?

taidara, Feb 6, 2016
Thema:

Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops

1. Ethernet Connection between Console and Router constantly drops - Similar Threads - Ethernet Connection between

2. Xbox Series X Ethernet connection flickering on/off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Ethernet connection flickering on/off: My series X has been connected via Ethernet for months now with no issue, after a change in provider, it is no longer working on a wired connection (which I need as the wifi does not reach me)....
  3. Series X thinks there’s an Ethernet cable plugged in and won’t connect to WiFi

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X thinks there’s an Ethernet cable plugged in and won’t connect to WiFi: Xbox series X thinks there’s an Ethernet cable plugged in when there isn’t and won’t connect to WiFi. Tried restarting, changing network settings, wiggling an Ethernet cable in and unplugging it...
  4. My xbox series X disconnects and connects when connected to an ethernet port i havr tried...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox series X disconnects and connects when connected to an ethernet port i havr tried...: my xbox is basically missing a key a feature. 50b9ab2e-b479-4799-b40c-3dffc6bebe5f
  5. Series x thinks im connected to Ethernet when im not, part 2 electric boogaloo

in XboX Insiders
    Series x thinks im connected to Ethernet when im not, part 2 electric boogaloo: Tried to turn on my xbox today and it wont let me connect to wifi. Did all the troubleshooting tips i found online. Then stumbled upon a post from this sub where an apparent xbox employee respoded...
  6. Xbox series s not connecting with ethernet cable but wireless working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s not connecting with ethernet cable but wireless working: Recently had some internet issues but that all sorted now and now my Xbox won’t work using a ethernet cable just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or problem...
  7. My xbox uses a wired connection through an ethernet, yet I am experiencing 100% packet loss...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My xbox uses a wired connection through an ethernet, yet I am experiencing 100% packet loss...: My download and upload speed are fairly below average (17mbps and 1.6mbps), yet haven't been an issue in the past. Latency and MTU also are looking normal. My wireless connection for phones etc...
  8. When plugging my XBox Series X into a wired ethernet connection, it causes my internet to...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When plugging my XBox Series X into a wired ethernet connection, it causes my internet to...: I got a new XBox Series X for Christmas, plugged it into my wired ethernet connection (the same one I was using for my PS4 console with no issues), and shortly after I did this I noticed my...
  9. anyone else have a problem with series x not connecting properly when using ethernet...

in XBoX on Consoles
    anyone else have a problem with series x not connecting properly when using ethernet...: ive tried every fix possible, im far from stupid and been using computers/consoles since the 70s, starting with atari 2600 to coding on a zx spectrum 48k when i was 12. there is definitely a...
  10. Should I hook an Ethernet cable which is connected to my Xbox to my modem or my router?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Should I hook an Ethernet cable which is connected to my Xbox to my modem or my router?: I was just wondering on whether I should hook up an Ethernet - which is connected to my Xbox - to my router or modem. I recently got a new modem which is supposedly to be a lot better than the...