Error code 0x87e00196, can't fix it [on PC]

Discus and support Error code 0x87e00196, can't fix it [on PC] in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Alright, so I was researching this error code and issue and found my way to Microsoft's help page. I followed the Administrative terminal commands that... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by p4XcORPU5, Dec 22, 2022.

1. p4XcORPU5
    p4XcORPU5 Guest

Alright, so I was researching this error code and issue and found my way to Microsoft's help page. I followed the Administrative terminal commands that the page suggested I use in order to force a reinstall of gaming services (for reference: Error 0x87e00196 occurs when you try to manage a game on Windows | Xbox Support). After a system reboot, and giving it another shot, I'm still getting this error code.

How or where am I getting this error code?

I'm trying to install the Minecraft Launcher and/or Minecraft Dungeons (via the Xbox app on PC). Both of these things immediately give me this error code right after I choose which drive to install it to (doesn't matter which drive I choose, but I have 4 of them).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

p4XcORPU5, Dec 22, 2022
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello p4XcORPU5,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today and we hope that all is well.

We understand that you are trying to fix the error code and install Minecraft Launcher into your computer. We appreciate you have provided the troubleshooting you perform that is related to your issue. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner.

Before we do troubleshoot, let us isolate first if this issue happens only on specific app/game.

1. May we ask if you have tried installing apps and games on Microsoft Store aside from Minecraft Launcher?
    2. Please share a screenshot of the issue and conceal any personal information.
    3. Are we having issues with Xbox games too?
    4. May we ask for the Windows version and edition of your computer or laptop? Please type WINVER into the Windows search bar and hit Enter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

Method 1:

Please see the troubleshooting available on this link for installation and launching - Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox App for Windows

Method 2:

Repair your apps and clear cache the Microsoft Store. Please use this guide for repairing Xbox app.

Please go to Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Select the app you want to fix. Select the Advanced options link under the name of the Microsoft Store. On the page that opens, select Repair if it's available. If it isn't available, select Reset.

Clear the store cache by typing “wsreset” in the Windows search bar. Run this as admin and wait for the screen to close and open the store automatically.

Method 3: Run system scans

Run a full system scan. This will check and restore corrupted system files.

In Windows search bar, search for Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.

Copy the command below one line at a time and paste it on Command Prompt:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC /scannow

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Good day!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Microsoft Moderator
  4. p4XcORPU5 Win User

I never quite figured out what the issue was, aside from possibly having had the initial install of the current version of Windows under another email I created, and then later switched to my main one. Maybe that was the error.

Either way, I've switched to my Windows 11 laptop and everything is fine there so I'll probably just keep using this.
  5. Kathy A. Win User

Hello p4XcORPU5,

Thank you for the information and screenshots you shared with us.

After reading your response, there could be two possible reasons why this happens:

• Microsoft Store and Xbox app could be using different accounts.
    • There is a need to install a certain game service or app/system update for your computer.
    Looking closely of your screenshot this error code is related to this support article: Error 0x87e00196 occurs when you try to manage a game on Windows | Xbox Support.

May we know if you have already performed this?

We look forward for your response.

Regards,

6. p4XcORPU5 Win User

Hey there! Here's my Windows version:

[​IMG]

Here is the error I'm getting with the Minecraft Launcher:

[​IMG]

Here's the error from attempting to install Minecraft Dungeons separately:

[​IMG]

Here's what happens when I try to install one of them via the Microsoft Store instead of the Xbox app:

[​IMG]

I tested out a different game via the Xbox app (Fallout Shelter) and it installed with no issue. I also attempted the troubleshooting you mentioned and all of them reported no damage or errors except for sfc/ scannow, which replaced and repaired anything that was damaged. Alternatively, the repair functions in Apps/Features also did nothing to remedy these errors.

I'm at a loss for what could possibly be done here, or why it's just specifically the Minecraft Launcher and Minecraft Dungeons, while I'm able to use Minecraft for Windows and Minecraft Java by themselves without issue.
Thema:

1. Error code 0x87e00196, can't fix it [on PC] - Similar Threads - Error code 0x87e00196

2. Issue With Downloading Games (Error Code 0x87e00196)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Issue With Downloading Games (Error Code 0x87e00196): I have been having issues all morning with downloading MSFS on PC. I force stopped, reset, and uninstalled the Xbox app and Gaming services but have had no luck with being able to download this...
  3. Any fix for error code 0x87e00196?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Any fix for error code 0x87e00196?: Every time I've tried to install a game on the Xbox app since I got a new SSD the error code above pops up. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling multiple times as well as resetting and...
  4. Error code 0x87e00196

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error code 0x87e00196: The Xbox software always takes a little while to open, and whenever I try to install a game, it fails with the error code 0x87e00196. 9038d064-8c0f-4892-a009-358467bbe947
  5. Resolve error code 0x87e00196

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Resolve error code 0x87e00196: How do I Resolve error code 0x87e00196 afe8988a-e3d9-4450-a939-19757fe9b8b9
  6. Gaming services error code 0x87e00196 fix out there?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Gaming services error code 0x87e00196 fix out there?: I have tried countless times of Terminating and resetting, Using powershell, restarting services, changed region and time with the no. Of times of reboot, I've lost count. Is there any possible...
  7. Halo Infinite won't install - Error code 0x87e00196

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Halo Infinite won't install - Error code 0x87e00196: I have never had installation issues with games on the Xbox App before; this included Halo Infinite multiplayer. When I purchased the campaign over Christmas, it bugged out multiple times trying...
  8. I can't uninstall or reinstall gaming services (Forza 5 won't download) Error code: 0x87E00196

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't uninstall or reinstall gaming services (Forza 5 won't download) Error code: 0x87E00196: I couldn't run forza 5, so I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall. When I would try an reinstall it would say an error occurred. I then tried everything, resetting the store, using powershell but...
  9. Error code 0x87E00196

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Error code 0x87E00196: I'm unable to download games or Gaming Services. I have one game (Unpacking) that I deleted from my game library, but it's stuck wanting to update. When I go to gaming services it just says...
  10. Unable to download a game off Microsoft store + Xbox app PC Error Code: 0x87E00196

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to download a game off Microsoft store + Xbox app PC Error Code: 0x87E00196: When i try to download a game on Microsoft store or xbox app it comes up with as problem, the error code is Code: 0x87E00196 and so far none of the videos related to this topic don't work. I have...