Downloading from Xbox app on PC causing SSD to freeze momentarily

Discus and support Downloading from Xbox app on PC causing SSD to freeze momentarily in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I'm on PC, Windows 10. I'm downloading Forza Motorsport from the Xbox app on my SSD, and while downloading, my SSD usage suddenly spikes to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by wamicmurshed, Jan 12, 2024.

1. wamicmurshed
    wamicmurshed Guest

Hello, I'm on PC, Windows 10. I'm downloading Forza Motorsport from the Xbox app on my SSD, and while downloading, my SSD usage suddenly spikes to 100%, with no activity, and it freezes. It stays frozen at 100% usage for 5-10 seconds before it unfreezes and download resumes again.

I also downloaded Forza Horizon 5 from Steam on this same SSD, and when playing Forza Horizon 5, the SSD freezes too in the same way, causing my game to freeze as well with the message "Low streaming bandwidth". This only happens on Forza games and the Xbox app downloads. Any other game being played on the same SSD, the freezes do not occur. Any idea why this happens, and what can be done to diagnose and fix it?

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz RAM

ASUS ROG Strix B550-f Motherboard

Samsung 970 evo plus (the SSD in question)

RTX 3080

:)

wamicmurshed, Jan 12, 2024
  2. iTsFx Win User

Games are not downloading correctly to portable SSD

Hello, I'm Felipe and I'm an independent Community Advisor, and I'll do my best to help you.

It sounds like there may have been an issue with the download or transfer process. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

Check to see if the Xbox app is installed on your home PC. If it is not, you will need to download and install it.

Make sure your portable SSD is connected to your home PC and recognized by the system.

Open the Xbox app on your home PC and go to Settings > System > Storage. Make sure that your portable SSD is selected as the default install location.

Try downloading Ark again from the Xbox app and see if it installs to the correct location on your portable SSD.

If the above steps do not work, try deleting the partial download of Ark from your home PC and then re-downloading it from the Xbox app on your work PC.

If none of these steps work, it may be worth contacting Xbox support for further assistance.
  3. Claytron_9333 Win User

Xbox PC App installed games are gone and "There was a problem load install locations. Try again." error

Well, I seem to have solved this issue for myself. I actually tried to get MS support but they bounced me around different departments 4-5 times and then after a 30 minute hold, I was disconnected.

Posting here to for anyone who finds it useful in the future.

The only commonality that I found between my two computers with this issue is that they use a SSD for game installs that is not the same as the one that the OS and xbox app run on.

After updating to Windows 11, something about this caused issues for the xbox app. I had some suspicions about this given the text of the error. When I looked into it, Windows/xbox app were now set up to use the SSD that the OS is not (not my gaming SSD) for game and app installs. The games had previously been installed on the gaming SSD. I tried changing back to the gaming SSD but it did not solve the issue (in Settings > System > Storage > Advanced Storage > "Where new content is saved").

Despite being set up to use the OS SSD, the xbox app didn't seem to be writing to it or was unable to connect to it. I could even see that it files in the xbox games folder in the gaming SSD were still being updated somehow based on the file timestamps.

It was as if no matter what I changed, the xbox app was trying to work with the old gaming SSD. So I formatted the old gaming SSD. In the time while it was formatting, the error in the xbox app went away. And as soon as the format was done and the drive was back online, the error came back. Also, the xbox app immediately starting making folders in the SSD that I had just formatted. So regardless of what I changed, it was always trying to use the gaming SSD.

Next I turned off the PC and physically unplugged the gaming SSD. Again, with that SSD gone, the error went away. I plugged it back in and the error came back. Even when it was unplugged and the error was gone, it would not allow me to download games on the OS SSD (it would just put downloads into Pending). During this time I reinstalled the xbox app, gaming services, etc to try to break its obsession with the old gaming SSD. I found an article that pointed me toward registry entries to see where Windows was set up to install apps and games and it said the OS SSD but it would never write there.

So finally I reinstalled the OS on the OS SSD without the Gaming SSD plugged in. From there I was able to use the xbox app without the error and download games to the OS SSD. I plugged in the gaming SSD, formatted it and now I'll use it for Steam, Battle.net, etc but for whatever reason I can not use it with the xbox app without getting the error.

To summarize:

• The issue for me related to games being installed on a different drive from Windows/xbox.
    • Removing the gaming SSD cleared the error but I still couldn't download games to any drive.
    • The only way I could get windows to switch to a different drive was an OS reinstall.
    • I dare not try to use a separate SSD for xbox app games again.
  4. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Install games to external SSD to play on different PC

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today STEVELO539

If you've already set up and downloaded games to that external SSD in your laptop
    You can only use the games downloaded from there

Because the games are attached to the "laptop ID" and the Xbox app only recognizes the games that matches with that "ID"

If maybe you want to use the external SSD with your PC and laptop you need to create a new NTFS partition and re-download the games that you want to play on PC there
  5. deen matti Win User

xboxinstaller wont work

i cant use the xbox app cause the same thing happens when i try to download something in the microsoft store it just freezes
  6. XBF Ihssane Z Win User

can not download game to ssd only from xbox app for pc

Thema:

1. Downloading from Xbox app on PC causing SSD to freeze momentarily - Similar Threads - Downloading app causing

2. Double Input only on games downloaded with the PC Xbox app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Double Input only on games downloaded with the PC Xbox app: Been having double input problems only on the games I’ve downloaded from the PC Xbox app. Makes it really weird to play, my inputs will swap between keyboard and controller. Does anyone know how...
  3. Why cant my xbox series s download any apps?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why cant my xbox series s download any apps?: Ive been trying to download dolby atoms but every time i try to install it, it just cancels it saying “installation has stopped” i thought maybe it was just this app but when i tried downloading...
  4. I keep getting a 0x80248014 error when downloading apps

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting a 0x80248014 error when downloading apps: Every time i try to install youtube or other apps on my xbox it gives me the 0x80248014 error code. Does anyone know why its giving me this problem? and how do i fix it?...
  5. I can download games but i can’t download apps please help!!

in XboX Insiders
    I can download games but i can’t download apps please help!!: Okay so i have a xbox one s and i haven’t turned it on in a few years, at least until today. I turned it on and updated it and everything was fine, until i tried installing netflix. Before this, i...
  6. Can't download Xbox App on pc.

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't download Xbox App on pc.: My xbox app asked for an update. I tried over and over and it wouldn't update. I uninstalled the app and tried reinstalling. when installing the app, the Microsoft app store won't even give me the...
  7. Abysmal download speed in the Microsoft Store and Xbox App

in XBoX on Consoles
    Abysmal download speed in the Microsoft Store and Xbox App: I am furious! It's been a while that I have abysmal download speed in the Windows Store and Xbox Application on PC. Everything related to Microsoft is just outrageously slow! Flight simulator...
  8. Cant download the XBOX App on PC

in XboX Insiders
    Cant download the XBOX App on PC: Hello there. I know it is a problem for thousands of players being unable to download games, getting logged out constantly and just having trouble with the XBOX App in general. Today I couldnt...
  9. How to download Xbox clips on PC? [Windows 11 & The New Xbox App]

in XBoX on Windows
    How to download Xbox clips on PC? [Windows 11 & The New Xbox App]: If you are trying to backup your Xbox clips on PC there is no first party solution right now that I am aware of. there are 3rd party resources. I haven't tried this yet but this was mentioned by a...
  10. Windows 11 - Xbox App - Xbox Game Pass - Just Caus 4 : Reloaded - Download stuck at 100%

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Windows 11 - Xbox App - Xbox Game Pass - Just Caus 4 : Reloaded - Download stuck at 100%: Hello, I've never had any issue before when using the Xbox App but now my download of Just Cause 4 is over and I can't play it because it gives me an error message. I've tried lots of things and...