Dolby Surround Upmixer - Bad for Sound Quality?

Discus and support Dolby Surround Upmixer - Bad for Sound Quality? in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I have been using the Xbox One X with Atmos enabled since it launched. After a while, MS added Upmixing in the Dolby Access app, since... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/CommanderROR9, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Dolby Surround Upmixer - Bad for Sound Quality?

Hi everyone!

I have been using the Xbox One X with Atmos enabled since it launched. After a while, MS added Upmixing in the Dolby Access app, since you can't use your AVRs Upmixers when the Xbox it outputting PCM/Atmos all the time and leaving the height Channels empty when the Game doesn't offer native Atmos Sound. A while back, they added an option in the app that allows you to turn that Upmixing on or off. Now, I've left it on most of the time, but the day before yesterday, I decided to turn it off. I haven't done much testing yet, but somehow it seems the Audio is much clearer and cleaner that way. It might be my imagination, and it was just a brief test, but I would like to discuss it with others out there and see what kind of conclusion you arrive at.

Test it with Games that have no native Atmos Output and see whether you get a less "noisy" and more precise Audio localisation, like I believe I got...

Thanks!

submitted by /u/CommanderROR9
    [link] [comments]

/u/CommanderROR9, Feb 11, 2020
  2. SirStephenH Win User

Xbox 360 and Digital Optical Audio

Is your sound bar stereo or surround? Many sound bars take a surround input and produce a quasi surround effect through their speaker array. Being that it takes an optical input I'd say that's probably the case. You should output the highest quality audio
    to your sound bar that it can support.

Digital Stereo and Dolby Digital output in different formats, PCM for Digital Stereo and AC3 for Dolby Digital. Your sound bar might just not be able to handle the PCM stream for some reason. You should confer with your sound bar's manual to make sure that
    it fully supports whatever you throw at it.

It sounds like Dolby Digital works just fine with it so I'd suggest just sticking with that. There's a good chance that it will sound better and it definitely wouldn't hurt.
  3. R3T1CAL Win User

Xbox One Support

4. Ish00tYouRun Win User

Playing game sound with turtle beach x11

It is certainly still surround sound, Uncompressed Digital still supports surround, likely even pumps through full 5.1... it just can't be called dolby digital... Turtle beach has it's own audio processor anyway that does a great job emulating full 5.1 surround.
    I can hear footsteps just like I could on 360 all the same. Audio quality is still probably better than 360 because there's less compression...even without dolby.
  5. SandM1tch Win User

Turtle beach only in stereo

They added Dolby digital 5.1 in the recent march update so the optical surround sound should work the way you are connecting the base station. Try re-pairing the headset to the base station or check if you have dolby digital selected and not a PCM option.

Advice for your surround sound system: If you can, always connect the optical sound from the source device (xbox) to your surround sound system. This will prevent any delay an extra device (your TV) may impose upon your audio since its going through one
    decoder (TV) to another (surround sound system).

They are definitely forcing users to buy HDMI surround sound equipment to consolidate the HDCP dilemna. Too bad they don't realize gamers use headsets ;)
  6. drivesafely Win User

Optical Out with No Surround Sound

to ICESTORM#: Regarding Dolby Surround Sound: MY CABLE BOX USES DOLBY SURROUND SOUND, IT IS ADVERTISED ON EVERY MOVIE I RENT OR WATCH. MY XBOX ONE HAS TO USE A SILLY BETA APP TO GET SURROUND SOUND THROUGH HDMI OUT BUT CAN NOT GET IT FOR THE OPTICAL OUT
    PORT.
Thema:

Dolby Surround Upmixer - Bad for Sound Quality?

1. Dolby Surround Upmixer - Bad for Sound Quality? - Similar Threads - Dolby Surround Upmixer

2. Samsung HW-S60B soundbar connected to earc on Samsung qn90b with xbox series x dolby atmos...

in XboX Insiders
    Samsung HW-S60B soundbar connected to earc on Samsung qn90b with xbox series x dolby atmos...: If i just use the tv volume the dolby atmos works perfectly. As soon as i engage qsymphony, the awful audio lag comes back. Even when sound only goes thru soundbar.. same audio LAG is there. I’ve...
  3. Why Doesn't Dolby Vision Work With The Max App on Xbox Series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why Doesn't Dolby Vision Work With The Max App on Xbox Series X?: I have an Xbox Series X, and Dolby Vision is supposedly supported when using the Max app. I have found, though, that movies or TV shows on Max that are supposed to support Dolby Vision simply do...
  4. Why wont my Dolby access update

in XBoX on Windows
    Why wont my Dolby access update: Hello. So whenever I try and update my dolby access app it will install the 2.54 MB but when finished it will say installation stopped and will repeatedly do this I have restarted my Xbox S hard...
  5. I am having a problem updating Dolby Access. It gives me the error 0x87e5002c. Can anyone...

in XBoX on Windows
    I am having a problem updating Dolby Access. It gives me the error 0x87e5002c. Can anyone...: I am having a problem updating Dolby Access. It gives me the error 0x87e5002c. Can anyone help me? Thanks. 72ed5c02-8478-488b-b57c-f7648f660063
  6. Dolby audio problems after latest update

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby audio problems after latest update: Alpha Ring — Dolby atmos and Dolby digital no longer works after the latest update. No audio from the system, games, movies or blu-ray when Dolby output selected. Anyone else having Dolby audio...
  7. Can't enable Dolby dts headphone:X since April console update!

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't enable Dolby dts headphone:X since April console update!: My console downloaded the April update last night and now no matter what I do I can't enable Dolby dts headphone:X. A little annoying since A: it sounds better than windows sonic and B: I paid $20...
  8. Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos and Xbox One S disconnecting issue: I am having a problem with my setup. The TV and the Xbox One S detect each other perfectly for Dolby Atmos - and it shows the sign when it's on - but every two or so minutes, the sound cuts out...
  9. Dolby Atmos for headphones issue

in XBoX on Consoles
    Dolby Atmos for headphones issue: Hi all, Recently bought the Microsoft Wireless Headset for my Series X . I paid for the for Dolby Atmos app but I am having an extremely annoying issue with the licence. It keeps advising that I...
  10. Audio cut outs with Dolby Atmos headphones surround on

in XboX Insiders
    Audio cut outs with Dolby Atmos headphones surround on: I've been wearing the same headset and for months never had issues, but since the last week or two, I've noticed split second audio cut outs on Xbox when Dolby Atmos for headphones is on. I do not...