Does the XboX Series X support mechanical hard drives to expand storage?

Discus and support Does the XboX Series X support mechanical hard drives to expand storage? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Can regular hard drives be used to expand the Xbox Series X storage or only the Seagate Storage Expansion Card can be used? Also, the games that are... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by The_Hermit_1971, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Does the XboX Series X support mechanical hard drives to expand storage?

Can regular hard drives be used to expand the Xbox Series X storage or only the Seagate Storage Expansion Card can be used? Also, the games that are sold on xbox.com, are they digital downloads only, or will I actually get the disc by mail?

:)

The_Hermit_1971, Jan 3, 2021
  2. ngocphi Win User

Internal Storage Xbox One X

Quick resume isn't a xbox one feature it's a series feature

You can expand the internal memory in a series x by using the xbox storage cards

As they are nvme

You cannot use a mechanical or ssd drive
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X eternal hard drive

Hi,

If your game is now a Series X optimised title, it can no longer be played off an external hard drive. It must be moved to either the internal storage or an optional expansion card.

External USB hard drives are too slow to play Series X optimised games. None Series X games will still run from your external drive. The internal storage in the Series X is a fast NVME SSD. These drives are several times faster than mechanical hard drives.
  4. JosephG7 Win User
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?

It would just like to add that Series X|S games are developed to only use faster storage. Not only is this storage totally different to a mechanical hard drive, the way games are loaded is also different. In addition, the Xbox Series X|S hardware can leverage additional resources to load to games from internal SSD or external SSD's even faster, what Microsoft calls its Xbox 'Velocity Architecture'.

As previously stated, you're never going to be able load your Xbox Series X games from an external hard drive. They're just too slow.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Storage for xbox

The expansion card is a Solid State Drive (SSD). This runs the same speed as the Series X|S internal storage as already stated above.

Without getting too technical, this storage is basically a fast Flash Storage chip, 1TB in size on a PCB (printed circuit board) with a controller chip and some RAM. Basically, fast storage with no moving parts.

Most Seagate Game Drives are standard slow mechanical hard drives with lots of moving parts. These slow drives can not be used for Series X|S games. But they can used to archive these titles.
Thema:

Does the XboX Series X support mechanical hard drives to expand storage?

1. Does the XboX Series X support mechanical hard drives to expand storage? - Similar Threads - Does Series support

2. Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s: Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s b3f13c6f-8e8c-44ec-acb8-1c3d462029de
  3. Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s: Acer nitro VG240Y M3biip 180hz does it support 120Hz on Xbox series s f9cc34c0-3cba-4f78-a401-6962a2669e48
  4. Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?

in XBoX on Windows
    Does the Xbox series x have Dolby vision playback support for 4k blu ray discs ?: Does the Xbox series x support Dolby vision playback for the 4k blu ray disc movies ? not streaming capability I seem to be able to activate HDR but not Dolby vision for movie discs , is there a...
  5. Does this monitor support the series s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does this monitor support the series s?: A 24" monitor support the 120hz? because I saw this one video of someone using a 165hz monitor and the xbox doesn't support it so i've just been 2nd guessing it f2af81b6-4d00-4b95-8d1b-fa6e698bed16
  6. Does the Xbox series X support a 100hz monitor?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the Xbox series X support a 100hz monitor?: I bought a 100hz monitor for my Xbox but I only have the option for 60fps f4abc8a5-f55e-44cc-82da-7d1b06efdf7a
  7. Xbox series X does not support streaming ROBLOX games

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Xbox series X does not support streaming ROBLOX games: i have tried to stream roblox on my xbox series x and it closes the stream or goes black when i enter a game, i have tried starting up the stream while in the lobby and while in the main menu, my...
  8. xbox series x microsoft rewards does not support the market. error

in XBoX Accessibility
    xbox series x microsoft rewards does not support the market. error: i have seen that portugal is supported in the microsoft rewards program, but when i open the xbox rewards on xbox it says that the market is not supported. b4032b97-b198-447e-84db-262a3258479f
  9. Does Xbox Series X Support 1000hz Polling Rate

in XboX Insiders
    Does Xbox Series X Support 1000hz Polling Rate: Whenever I use a keyboard and mouse on my Series X in games and applications, I experience shudder and lag. It feels like the Xbox is not using the full polling rate of my mouse. So I was...
  10. Does Xbox Series X Support 1000hz Polling Rate

in XboX Insiders
    Does Xbox Series X Support 1000hz Polling Rate: Whenever I use a keyboard and mouse on my Series X in games such as MW2, I experience shudder and lag. It feels like the Xbox is not using the full polling rate of my mouse. So I was wondering,...