Do I need to remove my sons account from family?

Discus and support Do I need to remove my sons account from family? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I bought a new Xbox X and have set it to my home with my account which has Xbox ultimate. My son uses my old Xbox one and has been using my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Matt B6, Dec 28, 2023.

1. Matt B6
    Matt B6 Guest

Hi

I bought a new Xbox X and have set it to my home with my account which has Xbox ultimate.

My son uses my old Xbox one and has been using my ultimate pass to play games. I am aware this cant continue as it doesn't work over 2 consoles. I purchased him a game pass core membership and inputted the code on his account. This however seems to have had no effect. Games are still coming up as not available due to them being attached to my account.

I should add that his account was set up through family to allow me to monitor it.

Do I need to detach the accounts?

If so does this remove my ability to use parental management?

Do I need to uninstall the content he has downloaded and re-download through game pass core?

Is there another fix?

If there is any additional info required let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Matt B6, Dec 28, 2023
  2. Vanessaez Win User

Hi Matt B,

I apologize for the misinformation I provided in my previous response about family subscriptions. After researching your correction, I was able to verify that being part of a family group does not grant direct access to all subscriptions. Thank you, Smwutches, and my apologies again, Matt B.

Best regards,
    Vanessa.
  3. Smwutches Win User

The information above is incorrect. You do not have to remove them from the family in order for them to use their subscription. Being in a family does not cause anyone to "inherit" a subscription as that is not how they are shared. Keep in mind a Core subscription primarily gives the user online multiplayer. It has very few games compared to Game Pass Ultimate. So depending on what games he is trying to play, they may just not be included with his subscription.
  4. Vanessaez Win User

Hi Matt B, My name is Vanessa, an independent advisor, and I'm here to guide you on your case.

Yes, you need to remove your child's account from the family in order for them to use their Xbox Game Pass Core subscription. When a child account is in an adult's family, it inherits access to the adult's Xbox Game Pass subscriptions. In this case, your child is inheriting your Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription, which allows you to play games on two consoles at the same time.

If you remove your child's account from the family, you will need to re-configure it as an adult account. This will allow you to assign them an Xbox Game Pass Core subscription, which only allows you to play games on one console at a time.

To remove your child's account from the family, follow these steps:

Sign in to your Xbox account on the Xbox website.
    Click on the "My Family" menu.
    Search for your child's account and click on "Remove."
    Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
    Once you have removed your child's account from the family, you can assign them an Xbox Game Pass Core subscription. To do this, follow these steps:

Sign in to your child's account on the Xbox website.
    Click on the "My Account" menu.
    Click on "Subscriptions."
    Click on "Add a subscription."
    Select "Xbox Game Pass Core."
    Enter the Xbox Game Pass Core subscription code.
    Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
    Once you have assigned the Xbox Game Pass Core subscription to your child's account, the games should appear as available to play. If they do not, it is possible that you will need to uninstall the content that they downloaded and re-download it through Xbox Game Pass Core.

If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.

Best regards,
    Vanessa.
  5. Matt B6 Win User

Hi Vanessa

Thank you for your speedy reply. I have since hit another issue. When trying to remove the account it is coming up with the message that I must have the permission of who set the account up. It was myself that set it up, I am the organizer of the family account and the only other account attached to it.

As a result it will not let me remove him.
  6. Scott Hall3 Win User

How do I make my child the adminstrator on his laptop in Microsoft Family?

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the Microsoft Family Website and I am logged in on my account as the family organzier, the only family organizer our family account has ever had.

Unless they are hidden somewhere very obscure, I cannot find where I can give my son administrator access to his own computer for school. It feels as if there are a layer of controls that are being hidden from me, the parent, for my own family account.

When I try to just remove him from the family account, I get the following message:

You can't remove [Son] from the family group

Family members under statutory age need an adult's consent to join a family group. Only the adult that granted consent for [son] can remove this family member. Ask the family organizer who granted [son] consent to remove [son] from the family group.

This is pretty infuriating and starting to make me really wish I never started the family account in the first place.
Thema:

1. Do I need to remove my sons account from family? - Similar Threads - need remove sons

2. Need help to remove an old account from Xbox that got an access pin

in XBoX on Windows
    Need help to remove an old account from Xbox that got an access pin: I recently bought a second hand series X, when I’ve got it home and tried it out, all works fine as it should but the old users account is still on the machine. My main problem is removing the...
  3. Remove “Add On doesn’t need to be installed”?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Remove “Add On doesn’t need to be installed”?: I just bought the Lightfall DLC for Destiny 2. I have already followed the installation steps due to the known glitch but the DLC still will not launch. I have tried clearing the local save,...
  4. I need to remove my credit card information as I did not approve any charges on my behalf...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need to remove my credit card information as I did not approve any charges on my behalf...: My card keeps getting monthly charges somehow and I want it to please stop and how do I get any of my money back for what I did not approve of. 3f5ab2d9-65aa-452d-aca7-142746911de0
  5. Adult daughter needs to be removed from my family group - but she's not there

in XBoX Accessibility
    Adult daughter needs to be removed from my family group - but she's not there: My daughter is trying to connect the new Xbox she purchased. She is being notified she can't proceed because she needs to share her location and I am the family organizer. I go to my account and...
  6. I need help, how do I remove my kids from an old family account and allow them to accept...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I need help, how do I remove my kids from an old family account and allow them to accept...: I had an email address that I have deactivated because it is old. However my two kids are connected as family members and I want to remove them off the deactivated account so I can add them as...
  7. I have been removed from family group yet I still need permission

in XBoX on Windows
    I have been removed from family group yet I still need permission: Hiii I recently wanted to change my gamer tag. I have been in a family group so it needed permission from someone. So I went to my mothers since I have access account and removed me from the...
  8. i need help to remove my fortnite account from one microsoft account then transfer to...

in XBoX Accessibility
    i need help to remove my fortnite account from one microsoft account then transfer to...: Hi I linked my Fortnite account to my father's Microsoft account a while back and now my father is complaining that he has all his personal information on that account and doesn't want any games...
  9. I need you to remove suspension?

in XBoX Accessibility
    I need you to remove suspension?: I'm just trying to play a game and I can't do anything without and I can't talk so I need suspension removed 07c5311b-0a2b-4004-8451-9e0e8f8276aa
  10. Can you call me at [mod removed] I need help changing my number on Xbox it’s my number of...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you call me at [mod removed] I need help changing my number on Xbox it’s my number of...: Can you call me back at [mod removed] 1a55fa2c-6bca-4919-8700-5fe5fa77da24