Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live?

Discus and support Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm trying to buy Red Dead Redemption. Long story short I realized my credit card expired. Ok, don't really want to put a new one on so I buy xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ShadowRiver797, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live?

I'm trying to buy Red Dead Redemption. Long story short I realized my credit card expired. Ok, don't really want to put a new one on so I buy xbox credit off of amazon and redeem it on my xbox account. It acknowledges it, says I have 11 dollar credit. Game
    is 7.49 + tax. Go to buy it, still won't let me buy it (saying something happened when I try to confirm). Ok, maybe it's trying to charge the card, try to change payment, only offers me the card. Remove card thinking that will force it to use my xbox credit.
    No, now it is insisting I have to put in a credit card before I can buy it.

Now I know Apple is this obnoxious, is MS also this annoying to insist you have to have a valid CC on file to buy anything? On top of that, since it won't let me actually pick my credit on file, is it going to charge my card or will it automatically take
    the credit first?

:)

ShadowRiver797, Aug 25, 2014
  2. Xbox live gold 360 games will not download

Get message that I need a credit card on file to download xbox 360 live 'free' games. I do have a credit card on file is the problem. I do not get this message when downloading the 'xbox one' games to my xbox one. Just the xbox live gold 360 games. Suggestions?

TurnByTurnPwn, Aug 25, 2014
  3. paulmac9
    paulmac9 Guest
    why do I need a credit card to get something that is free ( Games with Gold)

Does anyone else think it is strange that I have a Gold subscription that I have paid for..But For some reason Microsoft needs a credit card on file to download the free games with gold.

So I loaded up the credit card , downloaded the game and then delete the credit card .I think this is rather annoying, I don't like keeping a card on file.

So is this game really free, well I supposedly have already paid for it with my gold subscription right?

when you get something free typically you sometimes need to provide a credit card number or any other information.

But when you buy something like a subscription , then you typically do not have to provide something else when you use it .

Why is Microsoft begin so nose-y?

paulmac9, Aug 25, 2014
  4. BigB EC
    BigB EC Guest

Possible problem could be your a silver account and the deal is exclusive to gold. Seeing that Red dead redemption is your most recent game problem solved?

BigB EC, Aug 25, 2014
  5. I don`t have a credit card linked to my account , I find it a lot easier to use paypal

Paraffin Alien, Aug 25, 2014
  6. Well, I finally discovered I could buy it through my xbox without having a CC on file (apparently not on the webpage). And if it's only for gold members, why wouldn't they make that clear? And also let you buy it under the non gold price? When PS+ has a
    special price it says, PS+ membership price: $x.xx. I mean it actually benefits MS to let people know it's a gold price. Makes gold members feel special and lets silver members know what they are missing.

And either it's not a gold price or I found a glitch way of buying it Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live? ;) (it also apparently gave me three 1.00 DLCs in the deal, sweet Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live? :) ).

And I don't trust Paypal one bit Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live? ;). Rather deal with my CC for any issues.

Thanks for the answers guys.

ShadowRiver797, Aug 26, 2014
  7. If it was part of a gold only deal then it would be under the banner of deals with gold.

It would also be listed with two separate prices, one the regular price and the other for gold members.

You would still be able to buy it as a silver member.

You definitely don`t need a credit card or paypal to make purchases, i don`t have any.

I wouldn`t be surprised if the game is on games for gold within the next few months anyway.

THEOWENKILLER, Oct 31, 2018
  8. Paraffin Alien Win User

I don`t have a credit card linked to my account , I find it a lot easier to use paypal
  9. BigB EC Win User

Possible problem could be your a silver account and the deal is exclusive to gold. Seeing that Red dead redemption is your most recent game problem solved?
  10. ShadowRiver797 Win User

Well, I finally discovered I could buy it through my xbox without having a CC on file (apparently not on the webpage). And if it's only for gold members, why wouldn't they make that clear? And also let you buy it under the non gold price? When PS+ has a
    special price it says, PS+ membership price: $x.xx. I mean it actually benefits MS to let people know it's a gold price. Makes gold members feel special and lets silver members know what they are missing.

And either it's not a gold price or I found a glitch way of buying it ;) (it also apparently gave me three 1.00 DLCs in the deal, sweet :) ).

And I don't trust Paypal one bit ;). Rather deal with my CC for any issues.

Thanks for the answers guys.
  11. THEOWENKILLER Win User

If it was part of a gold only deal then it would be under the banner of deals with gold.

It would also be listed with two separate prices, one the regular price and the other for gold members.

You would still be able to buy it as a silver member.

You definitely don`t need a credit card or paypal to make purchases, i don`t have any.

I wouldn`t be surprised if the game is on games for gold within the next few months anyway.
  12. KindGryphon Win User

charged account, cannot purchase gold membership

You cant use your accounts currency balance to purchase xbox live or use xbox live trial. You have always had to have a credit/debit card on file in order to use trials offered on the xbox or to purchase membership.

If you want to use a trial thats being offered on the dashboard or purchase gold membership on the dashboard youll need a credit or debit card on file.

Otherwise you will just need to buy an xbox live gold membership card instead
Thema:

1. Do I need to have a credit card on file to buy a game off of Live? - Similar Threads - need credit card

2. I have fraudulent activity on a credit card. I need to know how to report it and how to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I have fraudulent activity on a credit card. I need to know how to report it and how to...: I have over $600 in fraudulent activity on my bank card and need to know how to get it resolved. With a real person. Please. 59ea796f-bca2-4748-b682-b778d20fa2c0
  3. I need to remove my credit card information as I did not approve any charges on my behalf...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need to remove my credit card information as I did not approve any charges on my behalf...: My card keeps getting monthly charges somehow and I want it to please stop and how do I get any of my money back for what I did not approve of. 3f5ab2d9-65aa-452d-aca7-142746911de0
  4. Need to cancel all Microsoft*Store Robux charges. Don't know how they got my credit card...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Need to cancel all Microsoft*Store Robux charges. Don't know how they got my credit card...: how to answer the question above is beyond me! I cannot get any response to canceling the charges placed on my credit card. Unauthorized charges and cannot get action from anyone to respond....
  5. I need to change my credit card number to avoid adverts when playing solitaire.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need to change my credit card number to avoid adverts when playing solitaire.: I have to change my credit card number. I want to avoid adverts when playing solitaire. My card was lost and I need to provide a new number and do not know how. 0ff62c56-c394-47ec-baef-543fd955d2ee
  6. I need to know why this MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 M charge keeps showing up on my credit card???

in XBoX on Consoles
    I need to know why this MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 M charge keeps showing up on my credit card???: I need to know why this MICROSOFT*ULTIMATE 1 M charge keeps showing up on my credit card??? 6bde8f02-34ea-4141-9708-7b0db154ccde
  7. do i need a credit card or paypal account to redeem a gamepass ultimate prepaid card for 3...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    do i need a credit card or paypal account to redeem a gamepass ultimate prepaid card for 3...: so, I wanna buy a gpu prepaid card for 3 months but i need to know if redeeming it requires a payment method or not, thanks for the help in advance. 8d1f993d-2f1f-4a74-9827-0a0589390252
  8. Why do I need to add a credit card after entering a code for a month of xbox gamepass pc?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why do I need to add a credit card after entering a code for a month of xbox gamepass pc?: I got gamepass from redeeming it from reward points but when I go to redeem the code I got it makes me enter a credit card. I unfortunately don't have one and I'm not able to make a new one right...
  9. need to know why there is a $33.89 charge on my credit card

in XBoX on Windows
    need to know why there is a $33.89 charge on my credit card: billing inquiry, why is my Credit card being charge $33.89 what is this charge for and what microsoft product a7c1b16c-204c-4a02-ad2c-8354575228e8
  10. Do non trial game pass gift cards need credit card information?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Do non trial game pass gift cards need credit card information?: If i get a 3 month game pass ultimate (pc) for example, will i be able to redeem it without it asking for credit card, paypal, or any other payment method? 23c4f4e5-8d0a-45e3-b71c-6319fb8d5cc2