Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

Discus and support Digital games more expensive than physical games?!? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; It's just how the market works. You'll get some digital sales here and there, and some are quite good. It just comes down to waiting for the right... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DMX, Apr 10, 2014.

  1. Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?


    It's just how the market works. You'll get some digital sales here and there, and some are quite good. It just comes down to waiting for the right time. Yes physical media depreciates faster because there's no store always holding that item. The same goes
    for movies, tv, music, books etc. You can get used items for cheap, but to buy a digital item it's pretty much the same price most of the time until it goes on sale.

    We're going to have to get used to it at some point, because digital will probably out-phase physical media very soon.
     
    Dr Black Bones, Aug 19, 2014
    #16
  2. GageDaniels
    GageDaniels Guest
    Some are overpriced even for digital.

    TES: Skyrim and CoD MW2 are good examples. Both $29.99 although on PC they are both only $19.99. Skyrim has been this way for about 6 months on PC, and MW2 has been that way for a few years Digital games more expensive than physical games?!? :p
     
    GageDaniels, Aug 20, 2014
    #17
  3. H0C Est BELLUM, Aug 21, 2014
    #18
  4. DCFC734
    DCFC734 Guest

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    Im happy with it being as it is, maybe in time cost of digital versions will come down. Id rather have a physical copy to then trad ein at some point.
     
    DCFC734, Aug 21, 2014
    #19
  5. Eggnogga
    Eggnogga Guest
    I have purchased all of my games for the One thus far digitally. I can understand people's frustrations with the prices, but I think MS doesn't want to undercut the retailers as it would be bad for business. Steam (and other PC services) can get away with
    this, since I rarely ever see PC games for sale at retail stores. Basically, that entire sect of gamers have adopted the digital-only/DRM model, whereas console gamers screamed "FOUL!" when MS tried to adopt that at E3 2013.
     
    Eggnogga, Aug 21, 2014
    #20
  6. Crinz
    Crinz Guest
    I just hate how I can pre-order madden 15 on the MS store and it comes with a $10 gift card, but if I pre-order it through my xbox one its the same price without the gift card. Pre-orders should just be $49.99 then without the GC
     
    Crinz, Aug 22, 2014
    #21
  7. DrewCerny
    DrewCerny Guest
    The problem is that Microsoft must maintain relationships with retailers and yet they compete directly with them in their digital store. The way around that is that Microsoft commits to the retailers that the digital copy will always be MSRP. This gives
    retailers an advantage in the market place.

    If big retailers were being priced out of the game by Microsoft itself they may just up and say forget it we won't sell your stuff. For example Amazon refuses to sell Nintendo systems directly. This lack of distribution is one reason why the Wii U did so
    poorly. There are other factors of course, but this specifically is why I haven't bought one.
     
    DrewCerny, Jun 28, 2015
    #22
  8. Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    Info well worth bringing back a near year old thread for.
     
    NonSportsGirl, Jun 28, 2015
    #23
  9. BVinLA
    BVinLA Guest
    At least with digital books and movie streaming you get instant gratification with the media on your device ready for consumption seconds after purchase. Not so with digital download games since it often takes overnight to download. With the exception
    of cheap small file sided Indy titles and free Xbox gold stuff there is no financial or time savings reason to opt for digital downloads.
     
    BVinLA, Feb 14, 2016
    #24
  10. this is ubisofts response to a question. "...because digital games are dynamic". That's right keep giving the Jim sterlings of the world enough fuel to make careers out of you you.

    _________________________________________________

    www.thecheesyanimation.com/Exterior-Design-&-Rendering.html
     
    charliedjinovic, Feb 17, 2016
    #25
  11. KHVRN
    KHVRN Guest
    They really dont have a case for charging the prices they do, Look at Steam, their games are regularly on offer at outstanding prices, and a lot of those are new games and other triple A titles.

    Xbox could completely wipe the floor with any and all competition by having a digital storefront to rival steam.
     
    KHVRN, Oct 31, 2018
    #26
  12. H0C Est BELLUM Win User

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

  13. GageDaniels Win User

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    Some are overpriced even for digital.

    TES: Skyrim and CoD MW2 are good examples. Both $29.99 although on PC they are both only $19.99. Skyrim has been this way for about 6 months on PC, and MW2 has been that way for a few years :p
  14. IronfistXIII Win User

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    Who gives a crap? Well, if we don't voice our opinions to Microsoft and only let the numbers decide, such as number of units sold in stores versus number of units sold online, then what they'll see from a data analysis point of view would be, "Gamers prefer
    to buy their video games in physical form over buying them from a virtual store." Is this true? What we're trying to tell them is that we're buying that which is more cost effective and not truly going with our preference due to difference in cost.

    You are right, costs will come down someday. However, I notice that costs associated with physical copies depreciate quicker than costs with digital copies. Thus, the physical copy will typically be the most cost effective solution within the lifetime of
    the video game or console.
  15. Braders77UK Win User

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    Stores sell them cheaper and have to pay rates, electric, gas, water, staff and have the tangible copy, yet they make money. Subtract all of those expenses and how much is actually being paid for the game. Assuming the store has a 30% mark-up, my guess for
    a digital AAA copy should cost no-more than £35/$50.

    Moreover; you can't trade it in, lend to a friend, and on top of all that, you have to wait for upto 2 hours for the game to be downloaded.
  16. Sala91 Win User

    Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

    I agree. The games are to damn high. What do you mean, I have to pay sever tens of bucks for Angry Birds that is 99 cents on other platforms?
Thema:

Digital games more expensive than physical games?!?

Loading...
  1. Digital games more expensive than physical games?!? - Similar Threads - Digital games more

  2. Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc to Digital Game Issue - Batman Telltale Series: I have reported the issue through the console, but I claimed a digital license to Batman The Telltale Series with the Season Pass Disc, and it gives me the season pass, but not each individual...
  3. The Disc to Digital Results for my 258 combined XB1/XBSX Physical games

    in XboX Insiders
    The Disc to Digital Results for my 258 combined XB1/XBSX Physical games: So I like most of you other Insiders, I decided to check every Xbox One and Xbox Series X game I own to see which ones qualify for Disc to Digital. And between both consoles, I have 258 physical...
  4. Does Game Share work with Disc to Digital games?

    in XboX Insiders
    Does Game Share work with Disc to Digital games?: I asked this elsewhere but I figured I should post it here too. Just curious if Game Share works with disc to digital. My brother in law and I want to try it since we used to game share before....
  5. Does anyone have a list of games working on digital licence

    in XboX Insiders
    Does anyone have a list of games working on digital licence: Have tried a few discs and some don't work so does anyone know if there's an official list or is it non confirmed submitted by /u/Chriswhutey [link] [comments]
  6. Disc‑to‑Digital game reviews are being flagged as “Off Topic” and removed — possible...

    in XboX Insiders
    Disc‑to‑Digital game reviews are being flagged as “Off Topic” and removed — possible...: In the Insider App, I only have access to Delta and Omega features, no beta or others versions on my Series X console, now I know my reviews are not always good, but I never wrote anything under...
  7. Disk 2 Digital games crash upon opening? and were working perfectly fine yesterday?, is it...

    in XboX Insiders
    Disk 2 Digital games crash upon opening? and were working perfectly fine yesterday?, is it...: Disk 2 Digital games crash upon opening? and were working perfectly fine yesterday?, is it a problem with the new update? ill try restarting my console then give an update submitted by...
  8. Do they games have to be installed before digital license option is available?

    in XboX Insiders
    Do they games have to be installed before digital license option is available?: I have only had the digital license notification pop up on discs that were already installed. On games others have confirmed that work it only triggers an install and doesn't pop up the digital...
  9. Does unlisted games work for disc to digital?

    in XboX Insiders
    Does unlisted games work for disc to digital?: I’ve tried using disc to digital on old games that are now delisted on the Xbox store does that mean I can’t get a digital license for games that are delisted forever or is that just because they...
  10. do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?

    in XboX Insiders
    do games with langulage region restrict get more langulage options after convert to digital ?: Not high enough level to participate in this new feture, just wanna know if a game listed A B C D E language options on the digital version, but the disk I got only allow A&B language, do I get...