Day One Xbox w/Broken Disc Drive

Discus and support Day One Xbox w/Broken Disc Drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; March 23rd, 2015 Microsoft, I have been an avid user of the Microsoft Xbox consoles since the original console released in 2002. I am on my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by THarris011, Mar 23, 2015.

1. THarris011
    THarris011 Guest

March 23rd, 2015

Microsoft, I have been an avid user of the Microsoft Xbox consoles since the original console released in 2002. I am on my third-generation Xbox One console, and was a “day one” purchaser. I have never had a problem with support from Microsoft in the
    time that I have used it's products. It wasn't until my Xbox One optical disc drive began to malfunction that the previous statement changed. I followed all the steps on the Microsoft support website to remedy my Xbox One, nothing worked. The hard reset, the
    power being removed from the wall, and the manual eject all failed in helping my situation. I proceeded to go to the online service repair forms, it was there that I started a chat with a representative named Calvin. Calvin was polite in his text and seemed
    like he wanted to help. When my serial number for my Xbox One console was looked up, it showed that it had expired on February 15th, 2015. It was then that I asked to be contacted by someone from the customer support, he took my best available number
    and I received a call within minutes. When I was speaking with the lady from customer support she informed me that Microsoft gives its customers a twelve month warranty and a thirty day grace period. The representative then informed me that I was six days
    out of my grace period and it would cost me $135.00 to send my Xbox One console in for repair. At this point I disagreed with my requirement to pay for my Xbox One console to be repaired, as I have no responsibility in the malfunction of the system. I asked
    to speak to a manager, she told me that she could connect me with her floor manager but he will not be able to change anything. I explained, again, my situation to the floor manager Edgar. Edgar reemphasized the fact that my warranty was good for one year
    and an extra thirty day grace period. He also explained that I was six days past any period that would allow me to get my Xbox One console repaired without a charge of $135.00. It was then that I explained to Edgar that his information on my Xbox One console
    was incorrect. He showed my purchase date being in February of 2014. I clearly own a Xbox One “Day One” edition console. Attached you will see my receipt from the Microsoft store showing an order date of June 11th, 2013. I understand the benefit
    of my information being inaccurate, as I would gain additional warranty time from the February purchase date. However, my console came on the verified street delivery date that was stated, which was the release in November. The fact that the information is
    run on a system of serial numbers and somehow my serial did not match up with the date in which mine was purchased baffles me. After explaining to him my belief that the repercussions should not fall on me, as I have no control over how the internal hardware
    of the Microsoft Xbox One should properly function, he politely danced around the fact that there was nothing he could do to change it. At this time I asked to speak to his superior, which of course he or she was not on site. Edgar then took down my call back
    number and stated he would give it to his supervisor and there would be a twenty-four hour turn around on the call back. Before I could say that was fine, Edgar was sure to emphasize that his supervisor could not help my case at all.

Now that its clear the steps I have taken, I would like to get in contact with someone who can explain how my Xbox One console does not show the correct date of purchase, and date of expiration on warranty. Lastly, someone to explain to me how it is
    my responsibility to fix internal problems that the Microsoft Xbox One console has been going through. Warranty or not, the product failed one year and three months after it was produced. That lifespan is not acceptable for an item that I paid $534.99 dollars
    of my hard earned money. And to now tell me that I have to pay another $135.00 dollars to send it off to Microsoft Xbox for repairs that may or may not be fixed is also unacceptable. The situation might be understandable to me if it were four to five years
    old. To sell a product that malfunctions within the first year and a half, and then require customers to pay what is now more than a quarter of an entirely new Xbox One console really makes me think about the commitment I've given to Microsoft and Xbox in
    its entirety.

:)

THarris011, Mar 23, 2015
  2. Eggnogga
    Eggnogga Guest
    Are things getting better for the xb1?

I have owned my Xbox One since the day it was released and have yet to use the disc drive for anything. Hell, mine could be broken, but I'd never even know it.

Eggnogga, Mar 23, 2015
  3. DukesPaw77
    DukesPaw77 Guest
    Your disc drive will fail too!

Xbox one has been good eat with BC, ea access, and it runs cool all day. After taking perfect care for my blue Ray discs the Drive broke making weird noises. It just cheap hardware I fear, hope it skips you but just wow, thanks m$. Out of warranty with broken
    disc drive.

DukesPaw77, Mar 23, 2015
  4. Day One Xbox w/Broken Disc Drive

Wow, if this is a known problem, you would think they would treat a long time customer a little better. Not impressed, Microsoft.

AgelessJet2262, Mar 23, 2015
  5. RITCHIE 2103
    RITCHIE 2103 Guest
    ^ I guess loyalty doesn't mean much to Microsoft. Maybe Sony will treat us better if/when we have problems. This kind of "customer service" is exactly the type of response that would trigger a brand swing in my opinion. Unbelievable.

RITCHIE 2103, Mar 23, 2015
  6. Yep, my roommate's Xbox One (Day One Edition) disc drive broke a few weeks ago. Mine broke today. Currently, we can't register the consoles on the website (generic error message: "Call customer support"), so we can't even start a repair that way, but when
    my roommate called last week, customer service told him even though the disc drive issue is a known problem among Day One editions, they are no longer offering repairs for free. It seems we weren't lucky enough to get total lemons, so now not only did we pay
    $150 more (we didn't want a kinetic) for being early adopters, but we have to pay $100+ because (once again) Xbox didn't design their console properly.

Sony was my secondary console for the last couple generations, but now that's it's the more powerful console, Microsoft is making this an easy decision. I'm jumping ship.

YakitySmakity, Mar 30, 2015
  7. JasonMorton
    JasonMorton Guest
    I am experiencing the exact same issue with my disc drive. I preordered mine in June of the launch year as well. Now, none of my discs work in the Xbox One I paid the premium price for. When I insert a disc, it does not even register with the console.
    It keeps telling me to insert a disc. DVD movies don't work either. I spoke with chat customer service and the end result is I need to pay $125 to have this fixed. I thought the days of the Xbox 360 repair issues was in the past. I had to sent that thing
    in 3 times getting fixed. Come on Microsoft. I have had all Xboxes, I use a Surface and a Windows Phone, I also pay for an xbox music subscription and an office 365 subscription. Not enough money out of me yet?

JasonMorton, Apr 2, 2015
  8. LilyBeth2002
    LilyBeth2002 Guest

I've got exactly the same problem as well - Day One Edition and it won't play any discs! Haven't contacted support as yet and based on all your posts I'm not looking forward to it!

LilyBeth2002, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Lakeolas
    Lakeolas Guest
    I have this same problem, but ONLY with DVD's (so far). Sadly, I was a fan of our PS4, but it was getting old and Halo was coming out, so XBOX One sounded fantastic. Aside from Halo being a lost cause, about 70% of the DVD's I put in the drive say "Error"
    or "Insert Disc". It's been about 7 months now and every time I try to contact Microsoft they don't help at all. This along with their awful XBOX Live services truly makes me regret my decision to leave Sony. I honestly did not have ONE problem with my PS4
    in the 4+ years I owned it.

Lakeolas, Oct 31, 2018
  10. AgelessJet2262 Win User

Wow, if this is a known problem, you would think they would treat a long time customer a little better. Not impressed, Microsoft.
  11. JasonMorton Win User

I am experiencing the exact same issue with my disc drive. I preordered mine in June of the launch year as well. Now, none of my discs work in the Xbox One I paid the premium price for. When I insert a disc, it does not even register with the console.
    It keeps telling me to insert a disc. DVD movies don't work either. I spoke with chat customer service and the end result is I need to pay $125 to have this fixed. I thought the days of the Xbox 360 repair issues was in the past. I had to sent that thing
    in 3 times getting fixed. Come on Microsoft. I have had all Xboxes, I use a Surface and a Windows Phone, I also pay for an xbox music subscription and an office 365 subscription. Not enough money out of me yet?
  12. RITCHIE 2103 Win User

^ I guess loyalty doesn't mean much to Microsoft. Maybe Sony will treat us better if/when we have problems. This kind of "customer service" is exactly the type of response that would trigger a brand swing in my opinion. Unbelievable.
  13. Lakeolas Win User

I have this same problem, but ONLY with DVD's (so far). Sadly, I was a fan of our PS4, but it was getting old and Halo was coming out, so XBOX One sounded fantastic. Aside from Halo being a lost cause, about 70% of the DVD's I put in the drive say "Error"
    or "Insert Disc". It's been about 7 months now and every time I try to contact Microsoft they don't help at all. This along with their awful XBOX Live services truly makes me regret my decision to leave Sony. I honestly did not have ONE problem with my PS4
    in the 4+ years I owned it.
  14. LilyBeth2002 Win User

I've got exactly the same problem as well - Day One Edition and it won't play any discs! Haven't contacted support as yet and based on all your posts I'm not looking forward to it!
Thema:

1. Day One Xbox w/Broken Disc Drive - Similar Threads - Broken Disc Drive

2. XBOX SERIES X 2ND BROKEN DISC DRIVE IN 1 YEAR 3 MONTH

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX SERIES X 2ND BROKEN DISC DRIVE IN 1 YEAR 3 MONTH: So my xbox series x disc drive broke after 8 months last January 2022, now 1 year 3 months later it has broke AGAIN after only playing a few dvds to watch the 1st season of The Sopranos on it. I...
  3. Broken disc drive not allowing update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Broken disc drive not allowing update: Hey, my Xbox one s had a problem with the disc drive. When trying to install a game my disc drive stopped working and when ever I turned my Xbox on it would just turn off. So I opened up my Xbox...
  4. how can i get my xbox one x disc drive fixed button broken from inside

in XBoX on Consoles
    how can i get my xbox one x disc drive fixed button broken from inside: how can i get my xbox one x disc drive fixed button broken from inside cf8a28ec-f608-4718-8940-6c99d7dd1b27
  5. Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X arrived with broken disc drive. Why has Microsoft after sales service been so poor?: I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then found the disc drive was broken and will not...
  6. New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service...

in XBoX on Consoles
    New series X has arrived but with a broken disc drive. Why am I getting appalling service...: I ordered my new xbox series x directly from Microsoft online store and was fortunate to make the preorder. The console arrived yesterday but I then found the disc drive was broken and will not...
  7. Connect system with broken disc drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Connect system with broken disc drive?: Hi, We have an xbox one and the disc drive broke a while back (I think my toddler stuck something in it) and we can't afford to replace it. My older kids are wondering if we can buy the connect...
  8. Xbox One disc drive band broken. Need a replacement band

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One disc drive band broken. Need a replacement band: My Xbox one disc drive recently stopped working, i checked what it was and the band that drives the eject roller was broken and needed to be replaced. I have had no luck finding a replacement for...
  9. Broken disc drive, now I can't update.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Broken disc drive, now I can't update.: so I recently dropped my Xbone and broke its disc drive. I've continued playing my digital copies for the past month. But since the most recent update I'm getting system error:E100 is my xbone...
  10. Checklist for a broken disc drive/eject button?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Checklist for a broken disc drive/eject button?: [Mod Removed] the disc drive on my 360 won't open (either with the eject button or the menu command on the home screen). Am I s.o.l. or are there some other potential solutions? Or at least...