Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account

Discus and support Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Ok, so I have been doing some searched online and reading through the posts here:... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DeansF, Jul 22, 2014.

1. DeansF
    DeansF Guest

Ok, so I have been doing some searched online and reading through the posts here:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/9/t/1656280.aspx?pi7406=2

. however, there still seems to be no resolution to this problem?

All I want to do is essentially convert my 11 year old son's offline Xbox Live profile and gamertag, to an online Silver member. It seems that by choosing the 'Join Xbox Live' options on the console and on the web, will set up a brand new profile for my
    son - something I do not want to do. He has points and achievements so I obviously do not want to set up a new profile or he will lose all this progress....??

Can anybody help?!

:)

DeansF, Jul 22, 2014
  2. Ken8n
    Ken8n Guest
    Converting offline account to Live account

My daughter has had an offline profile for a year and we decided to make it a live account. We chose "Join Xbox Live" from her account on the Xbox, but since she is under 18 I had to follow the steps to create a child account for her on the computer and
    went through the verification of an adult account and it created a new gamertag for her. From the Xbox, I logged into her offline account, chose "Join Xbox live"...and got an error that the email address was already associated with an Xbox Live account. How
    do I turn her offline account into an under 18 live account so she doesn’t lose her game progress?

Ken8n, Jul 22, 2014
  3. Nytwyng
    Nytwyng Guest
    Converting offline account to Live account

So, here we are, 11 days later. Still no contact as promised by the chat agent, still no transcript of the chat by email, still unable to even move the gamer tag to another account and try creating another one. And, most importantly, still no assistance
    in converting an offline child account to a Live child account.

Really, really dissatisfied with the level of service all around. Anyone have any ideas on the next level to contact? This really needs to be escalated, particularly in light of the apparent breakdowns in the support system.

Nytwyng, Jul 22, 2014
  4. Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account

if you do it via xbox.com you are right, this will create a new Profile without any savegames and achievements.

using "join xbox live" on your xbox360 will create an online gamertag from an existing offline Profile (one that is stored to your xbox and not yet connected with any Microsoft account). achievement Points and save games are supposed to be carried over,
    though i cant tell for sure, i didnt create my gamertag that way.

StefanNeubauer, Jul 22, 2014
  5. DeansF
    DeansF Guest
    ...hmm - I'll have to try this on my console but to be honest, I am not holding out much hope as several posts from that thread which I linked to. stated that this also did not work properly?!

:S

DeansF, Jul 22, 2014
  6. in order to "join" you Need an email address that is registered Microsoft account but must not be connected with a gamertag -> do not create this email via xbox.com or log in here before you managed to join on your console. if you Need to create a Microsoft
    acount this can be done e.g. on
    https://account.live.com
    where you can either Setup a new Outlook.com / live.com, or use an existing from gmail or others.

StefanNeubauer, Jul 22, 2014
  7. DeansF
    DeansF Guest
    ...was trying this out last night but I kept backing out at the last minute!!

Signed in, on the Xbox, using my son's offline account, but then when you select the 'Join Xbox Live' option, it signs you back out again. The next screen asks you to input your email address and password (I didn't go past this screen) but it looks like
    the screen after that is going to ask you to choose a gamertag and NOT the option of using the existing offline gamertag...!!!

Gonna have to try it again tonight and take it a step further...!!

DeansF, Jul 23, 2014
  8. Ai Madobe
    Ai Madobe Guest

To make an online account, you must have a unique name amongst all of Xbox Live.

There is no option to continue using the offline name. If you are able to, you can type in the current profile name as the chosen gamertag if possible, but do remember that changing names requires a payment

Additionally, your son will need to have a Microsoft account if he has not got access to one. This can either be a already existing microsoft account (@live.com.au / @outlook.com / @hotmail.com), Or if he already has pre-existing email on another service
    such as Google or Yahoo, a microsoft account can be produced from this without needing a new email account (This must be done online, both choices can be found on the Sign Up page on any mircrosoft service)

Ai Madobe, Jul 24, 2014
  9. DeansF
    DeansF Guest
    Ok, not being funny but that doesn't really answer my question......

What you are suggesting is that I set up a new gamertag - which I do not want to do as obviously, my son will lose all his achievements and score which he has built up on his offline account.

Are you saying that there is NO option to actually carry on using his current gamertag but on a Silver membership (i.e. online) AND keep his current achievements and score?

DeansF, Jul 24, 2014
  10. I just got off the phone with Xbox support, and was told that there is NO WAY to convert a child offline profile to a child xbox live profile. My daughter now has an offline profile with all her achievements and progress and a brand new, start from scratch,
    never been used xbox live profile.

The rep was very apologetic... but it didn't sound like there was any chance of Microsoft actually fixing this. And since the previous thread from last December is still unanswered, I tend to agree.

Bad software design, Microsoft.... really, really bad.

CamelGolf606693, Jul 25, 2014
  11. LeadfootZ28
    LeadfootZ28 Guest
    This can be done I just did it all they need is an email address I'm not sure what the minimum age is cause it won't let you from the console if they are too young to do it with out a parent. What I did is created an email address through yahoo for my son
    not knowing the minimum age I just entered a birthday making him 18 some people may not want to do this but it is important that if you are going to do it this way the email is set up with an age that is old enough. Deans F. you are on the right track you
    then go to the profile you want to make a live account click join now put in the email address (make sure you don't associate with any other Microsoft account or xbox live account before doing this) it will sign you out then it will ask to create a password
    then you pick witch off line profile you want to link to the account your creating it take a few minutes then it's done

LeadfootZ28, Jul 28, 2014
  12. DeansF
    DeansF Guest
    @LeadfootZ28

I'm sure that when I tried this the other night, the steps were slightly different from the console. I chose my son's profile to sign in with and then I chose the 'Join Xbox Live' option. It then signed him out and then the next screen asked for his email
    address, which I put in. The next screen though, asked for his password - it did not ask for a new password to be created.

I have just tried to sign into Xbox.com online, with his details, and it is asking me to create a profile. This must mean that his email address is NOT currently linked to a Microsoft account doesn't it (I cancelled as I didn't want to take it further!)?!!

Perhaps if I follow your instructions from the console and take it past the password screen to see what happens.

DeansF, Jul 28, 2014
  13. DeansF
    DeansF Guest

UPDATE......SUCCESS.....!!!!

Ok, so last night, I did indeed manage to convert my son's offline account to a paid Silver online account - and kept his current gamerscore! Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account :)

The steps I took were as follows:

1. I previously had an email account already set up for my son. This was a hotmail account however, it was NOT linked up to his Xbox Live offline profile in any way. I had this set up years ago for his Apple iTunes account!

2. Signed into his offline account on the console (Xbox 360) and then hit the guide button and then within the Xbox Guide menu, chose the 'Join Xbox Live' option.

3. It then asked me to enter his email address and the on the next screen, it asked for his password.

4. The next screen, asked for his first name. When I entered this, I made sure it was written exactly like it was, in his offline profile.

5. Then it asked for his surname - which I entered again as above.

6. It then confirmed that his account was a child account (it had all his correct D.O.B already? Perhaps it took the details from his D.O.B. on the offline profile)

7. The console then asked me to confirm which online profile would be the parent account so I chose mine.

8. It then asked me for my billing info (credit card and address details held on my profile so that Microsoft could confirm I was indeed the parent. It said that no charges would be taken from my account).

9. Once I confirmed all of the above, it then asked if I wanted to join the Xbox Gold tier, which I declined.

10. The console then chose a gamertag for my son.

As soon as the console chose a gamertag for him (his offline profile did NOT have a gamertag), I thought there and then that it must have created a brand new online profile (with a gamerscore starting from zero again) however, when I then signed into my
    son's newly created online profile, I saw his existing avatar and also that his offline gamerscore (around 800 points!) was now showing against his newly created gamertag! SUCCESS......!!!!!!!

Its worked for me so obviously, there IS a way to convert an offline profile to an online one AND keep the same gamerscore.

DeansF, Jul 29, 2014
  14. DeansF
    DeansF Guest
    UPDATE - SUCCESS.....!!!!!!

So last night, I did indeed manage to convert my son's offline profile, to an online ,Silver member, profile AND kept all his gamer score!!

The steps I took were as follows (all from my Xbox 360):

1. Signed into my son's offline profile.

2. Pressed the Guide button on the controller and chose the 'Join Xbox Live' option.

3. The console then asked for my son's email address (which he has had set up for years but it has never been associated with his Xbox Live offline profile) and password.

4. It then asked for his first name - which I entered, making sure if was written exactly like his offline profile.

5. It also asked for his surname - again, entered in the same way as above.

6. The console then confirmed his details and asked to confirm that it was a child account - his D.O.B was shown to be present and correct (perhaps it took this from his offline profile).

7. The console then asked me to confirm which profile, would be the parent profile - so I selected mine.

8. The console then asked me for my billing info so that it could confirm that I was indeed the parent of the child and that my online profile would be that parent profile.

9. The console then confirmed everything and came back with a gamer tag for my son. Initially, at this stage, I first thought that it had created a brand new online profile with a gamerscore of zero again however, when I then signed into his profile, I could
    see his new gamertag was placed against his existing offline avatar and that he had also retained his gamerscore (around 800 points!).

So, for me at least, this shows, that it IS indeed possible, to convert an existing offline profile to a new online one AND keep the gamerscore associated to the offline profile!

Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account ;)

DeansF, Jul 29, 2014
  15. Hey, I created an issue for this, give it an upvote so that microsoft will see it.

[Mod Removed-please see Xbox forum guidelines]

SeanIsCrazy1248, Oct 31, 2018
  16. Smwutches Win User

trying to change an offline profile to an online profile...

If she is on a child account, you would have to create a new online account from scratch. Offline child accounts cannot be converted to Live accounts.
  17. Smwutches Win User

Offline child account conversion to XBox Live account

It's no longer possible to convert offline child accounts to Live accounts. You would have to create new Live accounts for them.
  18. Smwutches Win User

Child XboxLive and Microsoft Account

It's no longer possible to convert an offline child account to a Live account. You would have to create a new Live account for him via the website and then download it to the console.
  19. Smwutches Win User

Is it possible to merge an offline profile with an online account?

Sorry, but it is not possible to merge accounts or transfer anything between accounts.

If she is on a child account, unfortunately there is no way to convert that from an offline account to a Live account. It would have had to be created as a Live account originally.
  20. Smwutches Win User

How to convert offline account to Live account

Thema:

1. Converting Child's Offline Account to a Live Account - Similar Threads - Converting Child's Offline

2. Convert regular account to a child account OR set time limits on regular account

in XBoX Accessibility
    Convert regular account to a child account OR set time limits on regular account: I let my son use my Microsoft account for many years and he's accumulated a number of games, items, etc. on Xbox mostly. However, I have to be able to set time limits for him and we can't figure...
  3. How to convert a child account into an adult account without leaving the family?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to convert a child account into an adult account without leaving the family?: How to convert a child account into an adult account without leaving the family? a1caadc5-759d-4a7e-a1b1-3ba4fdf420d3
  4. How to convert an eligible child account to an adult?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to convert an eligible child account to an adult?: I would like to join the Sea of Thieves insider program but my account is flagged as a child. I have not been able to find a way to change it into a adult account. The program doesn't allow child...
  5. Can I convert my Microsoft account to a child account and create a new adult one for me?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I convert my Microsoft account to a child account and create a new adult one for me?: Hi All My son has used my Microsoft account on Xbox for years and I'm getting to the point where I would like to have him on a child account so I can manage hours use etc. However I don't want to...
  6. Convertir un compte adulte XBOX en compte enfant ?[Convert an XBOX adult account to a child...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Convertir un compte adulte XBOX en compte enfant ?[Convert an XBOX adult account to a child...: Bonjour, Quand mon fils a eu sa XBOX, on a créé un compte "adulte" et il a commencé jouer. Puis il y a associé un abonnement XBOX live et un compte fortnite (!). Maintenant, je veux mettre en...
  7. Convert child account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Convert child account: Hello, I ask you to convert my childrens account into an adult because I recently got an xbox one and got my account and suddenly it was a childrens account so I would ask you to convert it to an...
  8. Convert child account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Convert child account: Hello, I ask you to convert my childrens account into an adult because I recently got an xbox one and got my account and suddenly it was a childrens account so I would ask you to convert it to an...
  9. how to convert child accounts to adult accounts

in XBoX on Consoles
    how to convert child accounts to adult accounts: I do not want any restrictions on my child accounts... how to I set them as adults? I changed their birthday, but it wants me to prove it. I might just setup new accounts for my kids as adults....
  10. Old Xbox account need to convert to a child account

in XBoX on Consoles
    Old Xbox account need to convert to a child account: Hi my son has been for sometime using an account on the 360 that I set up before he was born. Now he is older I would like to let him use it online. I have set up parental controls etc on the...