Convert Disc to Digital copy?

Discus and support Convert Disc to Digital copy? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; This is just an idea, that i think would be pretty cool and usefull. So, i stupidly bought a Disc version of ARK for xbox. After realising it was on... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by KonKsling123, Jul 26, 2018.

1. KonKsling123
    KonKsling123 Guest

This is just an idea, that i think would be pretty cool and usefull.

So, i stupidly bought a Disc version of ARK for xbox. After realising it was on Xbox Play Anywhere, so buying digital would mean i could play on pc too with crossplay.

And i just thought it would be SO useful if you could just put the disc in, go into a setting and click "convert to digital copy" or something, and it basically see's that you own the game (clearly, its in the console) and then adds the game to your account.

AND to avoid people just giving the game around for everyone to download and all that bad stuff, they could just add a way for the disc to become useless after the conversion, like wipe it or something.

Something like this would be really cool, especially since that "play anywhere" became a thing. But maybe that's just me lol.

Thanks for reading the thing, peace Convert Disc to Digital copy? :)

:)

KonKsling123, Jul 26, 2018
  2. Hey MS! How can we Pre Order games we want to Download???

If Microsoft wants me to convert to digital downloads and NOT BUY A PHYSICAL DISC...they need to make digital downloads cheaper than disc!!!!!

$45.00 for digital vs $60.00 for disc.....THEN IM GOING DIGITAL ,......

DO YOU HEAR ME MICROSOFT?

S T R l K U R, Jul 26, 2018
  3. RomkaZzz
    RomkaZzz Guest
    Playing disc games without disc

Yes, I'm also convert my all huge disc library to digital and recommend for you

RomkaZzz, Jul 26, 2018
  4. Convert Disc to Digital copy?

Thats a pretty neat idea! In fact with the technologies, we have today to detecting pirating of the disc. I don't see why we couldn't just design each disc with a special code that is read and when downloaded to your specific account it is synced. So only
    usable by you.

I don't know. However, these are great ideas!

That being said, you wanna share with Xbox via Xbox Ideas, powered by UserVoice

Nozzle Convert Disc to Digital copy? :)

At the Nozzle, Jul 26, 2018
  5. SLB4EVERPT
    SLB4EVERPT Guest
    I dont know if is a good idea, since xbox disc reader cannot do that, and could lead to duplicate games into accounts.

SLB4EVERPT, Jul 26, 2018
  6. Amph82626463
    Amph82626463 Guest
    Not a bad idea, however that would involve a large waste of discs. Normally if you prefer to bypass that minor inconvenience you can go online and buy a digital code and never have to worry about a disc ever again. And you'll get the convenience of playing
    where ever you're signed in (as long as the games downloaded).

Amph82626463, Jul 26, 2018
  7. bowski477
    bowski477 Guest
    I'm not going to lie I was pretty adverse to goin all digital when this console generation started. But over time I've realized it's just more convenient. It would be cool if something like this existed.

bowski477, Jul 26, 2018
  8. AdamKronus
    AdamKronus Guest

This is a really great idea! Being able to turn my collection of physical games into digital would be a great way to save space in my room!

AdamKronus, Jul 26, 2018
  9. Echo4Ent
    Echo4Ent Guest
    That would be great! Maybe even take it one or two steps further, and distribute games on a "one-time" use disc that bio-degrades after use. Or allow users to download games to a USB thumb drive from a PC, and then transfer the
    game to an Xbox.

Echo4Ent, Jul 26, 2018
  10. CRAZY EVAN85
    CRAZY EVAN85 Guest
    can't you gift software on xbox live now?

CRAZY EVAN85, Jul 27, 2018
  11. It could be a possibility, only if the new Xbox Consoles could read and WRITE discs.

Gamingboy177 (Sam), Jul 27, 2018
  12. The only issue I could see really, excluding pirating would be the environment and cost. I believe discs would create the "I don't need this anymore as it's digital" so it's a waste really. Prepaid game codes would be better.

Gamingboy177 (Sam), Jul 27, 2018
  13. Convert Disc to Digital copy?

No sorry, can't see this working out well in the long run.

If you were able to 'convert your game to digital', you would be effectively wiping out the ability to trade in your disc game. After all, putting the code in would make the disc useless.

Unlike the PC gaming market - which does not have trade ins - trading in console games is part of the business model. Gaming stores rely on the sale of second hand games to survive. If they couldn't sell second hand games, they won't sell consoles, and
    it's the of the line for them.

The system described is similar in how Steam and EA's Origin works, at least how used to work for PC disc games. I say how it 'used' to work because PC games have never made the transition to Blu-ray. Blu-ray drives have never become standard in PC's,
    so many games are now download only. Even if you can get a PC game on disc, most of the game will be a download.

Anyway, back before the One and the PS4, PC games came on DVD discs, just like their console counterparts. If a PC game required the Steam client you would install the game and enter the activation key. Once the game was activated it was added to your
    library. The disc is then is almost useless. Almost, in the sense that the game can still be used to install the game on your PC (because you have activated it), but it can't be traded in. Old steam disc games once activated can be thrown away. The game
    is added to the library and be downloaded as a digital game.

This is fine for PC games, but it won't work with consoles, due to the business model that exists.

Obsessive Power, Nov 2, 2018
  14. ArminatorX Win User

Move a game on disk to digital.

The only way to get your disc game working on the "All digital" edition of the Xbox One is to purchase the game digitally.

It's not possible to "convert" a disc game to a digital game. Otherwise you could buy a disc, convert it to digital, and sell the disc to someone else who would then convert to digital, sell the disc and so on, until the whole world has the game digitally,
    and only one disc was sold.

So the only way to get a digital copy of your disc based game would be to buy the game digitally again.
  15. BookishFlunky90 Win User

Convert disc to digital copy

Microsoft were planning it before xbox 1 launched but far more people were against it because 24hr check ins. Its 2016 and the internet infrastructure is not reliable, it doesnt care which ISP you are with. Far too many people complained about it, and microsoft
    if they ignored the majority who didnt want 24hr check ins, it would be to microsofts detriment.
    I think it's doable, not to the extent that OP suggested to share with friends, but to not need insert new disk to play a new game. So it becomes like digital purchase. Require being online to install disk, you usually are to get possible updates anyway.
    And serial from disk may not be installed on multiple machines if registered this way, and never to be sold second hand either maybe. Don't know all details needed when you get a refurbished machine and similar, but could be fixed at servicestation and maybe
    disk can be swapped over if that is ok.

But sure that all publishers of games prefer if everybody went digital, then no second hand possible. So to improve for purchase on disk is not likely. I will prefer disks anyway, don't want to waste so much bandwidth downloading. I would have to double
    internet fee just to get one AAA game a month, and take 15 hours or so each time anyway. You can get to a store and back in an hour.
  16. SLB4EVERPT Win User

I dont know if is a good idea, since xbox disc reader cannot do that, and could lead to duplicate games into accounts.
  17. smileskybird Win User

Convert disc to digital copy

This is an excellent idea. One person could buy a disc and all their friends could pop it in and convert it to digital! Then again... that's probably one of the reasons this would never happen... IMO.
    With PC games like the sims 4 and cities skylines, if you get the disc version, you can play it digitally. During disc installation, the game offers you a one time installation with say one account from steam or origin or etc. Microsoft could do it. This
    way disc versions played digitally could be restricted to one xbox account and can be played without the owning account on the console it is installed. The owner can install it on another console, and if other people want to play it on the other console, they
    have to log into the account person who got it.
  18. AdamKronus Win User

This is a really great idea! Being able to turn my collection of physical games into digital would be a great way to save space in my room!
Thema:

1. Convert Disc to Digital copy? - Similar Threads - Convert Disc Digital

2. Minecraft bedrock keeps crashing when I try to convert a Xbox 360 world to it after...

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft bedrock keeps crashing when I try to convert a Xbox 360 world to it after...: Basically when ever I go to bring the world to bedrock after transferring it to the one addition it go up to 16 percent then crashes the game 698cce11-900d-49a0-8b20-f58ba80e9854
  3. Can't Login to Microsoft Store - Account Converted to Office365

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't Login to Microsoft Store - Account Converted to Office365: In Aug-2020 I purchased a copy of MS Flight Simulator and have the email receipt and order number. I only have and have ever had one email address, which is from a business I own. In 2020 I...
  4. Split screen multiplayer converted to full screen using two different TV's

in XBoX on Windows
    Split screen multiplayer converted to full screen using two different TV's: I have a HDMI splitter for possibly connecting two TV's to one Xbox series X and I was wondering if there is a way to input new coding to make split screen on one TV to full screen using two...
  5. convert a 16 character epic vbucks card to 25 characters

in XBoX on Windows
    convert a 16 character epic vbucks card to 25 characters: How do I convert a 16 character Fortnight vbucks card to 25 charaters? dd004f24-34e5-4277-90b9-f971fab47602
  6. I can't convert my 200$ Microsoft balance into Robux. What can I do?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't convert my 200$ Microsoft balance into Robux. What can I do?: Service Unavailable (microsoft.com) Error message: HTTP Error 503. The service is unavailable. 40182fce-ab9b-4574-b990-ad552c9f69bd
  7. Can I convert the coins in Microsoft solitaire game collection to real money?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I convert the coins in Microsoft solitaire game collection to real money?: I am playing "Klondike" in the Solitaire & Casual Games Collection. And have received coins in daily challenges. If there's no way to, still inform me. So I won't have a false hope....
  8. Convert disc to digital game

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Convert disc to digital game: Ive had my series S for 2 years and I've always wanted to play Forza Motorsport 7 on it but i only have to the disc for the game so i did not want to buy another copy , am i able to convert the...
  9. Can I convert my disc games into digital downloads?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can I convert my disc games into digital downloads?: Backstory: I bought COD Modern Warfare on disc for a great price, and I've been playing it for several months now. My Xbox One S is giving me problems, and I have the opportunity to buy a new one,...
  10. Convert disc to digital copy

in XBoX on Consoles
    Convert disc to digital copy: in the next update can yall make Xbox games were you can be able to convert a disc to a digital copy without pay because my Xbox one randomly ejects my disc for no reason and I seen a bunch of...