Controller Issues? Start Here!

Discus and support Controller Issues? Start Here! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; We know how frustrating it can be when all you want to do is play some games, and something goes funky with your controller. Maybe it disconnects... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Misses Joust, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Misses Joust
    Misses Joust Guest

We know how frustrating it can be when all you want to do is play some games, and something goes funky with your controller. Maybe it disconnects frequently, or shuts down unexpectedly, or it won't turn on at all. We have some answers for you here to get
    you back to gaming. Read on!

First, let's cover the physical malfunctions like a lack of vibration or unresponsive buttons.

There is a LOT you can do to make sure your controller is working properly. Sometimes what feels like a fault can actually be related to the game or app that you are playing. A great place to start with these is to try a different controller. This is a troubleshooting
    step, and not a permanent solution! Play the same game/app with the second controller. If the behavior continues, then it's not a controller problem and you can continue by focusing on the game or app to find a fix. If the malfunction or behavior only happens
    with the one controller, then
    check out the rest of the steps here
    to find a fix.

Okay, but what if your controller won't power on at all?

It's time to check the batteries. After each of these steps, hold the Xbox button on the controller to attempt to turn it on:

• If you're using standard AA batteries, make sure they are inserted correctly and try a fresh pair.
      • If you're using the Xbox One Play & Charge Kit, ensure the battery is charged or charging. If it can't hold a charge, then it's time to
        focus on the Kit instead of the controller. If you have a second rechargeable battery pack, try using that instead. If it works,
        then the issue most likely lies with the first pack.
      • Remove all batteries, and plug the controller into the console using a micro-USB cable. Most USB Certified cables
        will work; you don't need to use the Play & Charge cable.
    If all of these methods fail to get power to your controller, then your best solution will be to request a repair/replacement through our
    Online Service Center.

Now it's on, but it keeps disconnecting! What's going on! Fix it!

This can happen for a number of reasons - the batteries are weak; something is causing wifi interference like other wireless devices or metallic objects; the console needs a power cycle; or you're physically too far away from the console to maintain a connection.
    There are a lot of things to try if your controller disconnects frequently, or it won't connect at all. Each step is laid out in

this article
    . Please try them all, as often times one of them will fix the issue even if another does not.

My controller shut off when I didn't want it to! Aw blerg!

That's okay! The controller is designed to shut down after 15 minutes of inactivity, in order to preserve the batteries. There's no way to change the amount of time that's considered "inactive." Turn it back on the same way you normally would: hold the Xbox
    button until it lights up.

If the controller shuts down while you're actively using it, then it is once again time to check your batteries. Try some fresh ones, or a micro-USB cable. If your controller is currently wired and shutting down frequently, then try a new cable to make sure
    your current cable isn't malfunctioning.

If you've tried everything here and your controller is still funky, then please start a new thread so we can help you out here in the forum. Include the following info in your post so we get a good picture of what's going on:

• What exactly is happening with your controller? Disconnecting, won't connect, shutting down?
    • Does it happen during a specific activity? If the issue only crops up while playing a certain game or app, include that in your post.
    • What have you tried so far? Please be specific and list the steps you've done. Saying "everything" may result in us asking you to repeat stuff you've already tried.

:)

Misses Joust, Apr 10, 2014
  2. BattleYak
    BattleYak Guest
    start here

Connection test works. It's connected fine. Then I go to multiplayer test and get an error "Can't get Teredo IP address"

Details as to my config.

Cable goes to Arris modem.

Arris modem is set to bridge mode.

Arris modem connected via ethernet to Apple airport extreme, which acts as wifi router for my house.

airport extreme ALSO has an ethernet cable connected directly to the xbox one.

But I'm still getting strict nat.

Plus the "can't get teredo IP" error.

BattleYak, Apr 10, 2014
  3. Mister Urkel
    Mister Urkel Guest
    start here

Hey BattleYak,

Sorry to hear about your connection issue. Please give the
    connection test
    a go and respond back to what you find out so we can further troubleshoot.

Mister Urkel, Apr 10, 2014
  4. Misses Beep Win User

Party Chat Issues? START HERE!

Hi there everyone!

If you've tried troubleshooting for the "We can't turn on chat right now. Try again later" error and you're still having issues with party chat, then it's time to investigate even further!

Send me a Private Message (by clicking the little envelope under my post) formatted as follows:

Title:

<Your Gamertag> Party Chat Issues Information

Body:

• Confirm you tried the steps in Mister Ohnaka's post above
    • Console ID (steps to find it):
    • NAT type(open, moderate, strict):
    • ISP:
    • Specific date and time of the party chat failure:
    If it's happened multiple times, give us the most recent date/time!

Also, have your friends (who are having party chat issues while in the same party as you) send me a Private Message with that information as well. Do NOT send an Xbox Live message. Information sent via Xbox Live message will not be investigated or responded
    to. All information must be sent via Private Message.

This information is for investigation purposes so you may experience a delay in response to your PM or no response at all; but please rest assured that we are using the information to help us investigate this issue further.
  5. Mister Ohnaka Win User

Party Chat Issues? START HERE!

If you're getting this particular error message - "We can't turn on chat right now. Try again later" - please follow the steps below to get party chat working.

1. Quit your game- in home, highlight the game's tile, press menu button, select quit.

2. Join the party.

3. Turn on party chat.

4. Then launch your game.

Please note, these steps are currently a work-around. We are working on rolling out a permanent fix, but do not have an ETA at the moment.

If you've tried these troubleshooting steps and are still getting the same message, please check out the post below.
  6. Mister Urkel Win User

start here

Hey BattleYak,

Sorry to hear about your connection issue. Please give the
    connection test
    a go and respond back to what you find out so we can further troubleshoot.
  7. BattleYak Win User

start here

Connection test works. It's connected fine. Then I go to multiplayer test and get an error "Can't get Teredo IP address"

Details as to my config.

Cable goes to Arris modem.

Arris modem is set to bridge mode.

Arris modem connected via ethernet to Apple airport extreme, which acts as wifi router for my house.

airport extreme ALSO has an ethernet cable connected directly to the xbox one.

But I'm still getting strict nat.

Plus the "can't get teredo IP" error.
  8. BattleYak Win User

start here

OK -- I fixed the problem. How? By following these instructions. No clue what they did, except nat went from strict to open, and it's all working now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAvO3ZvHQE
Thema:

1. Controller Issues? Start Here! - Similar Threads - Controller Issues Start

2. Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller Audio Distortion/Disconnecting issues: I’m having a bit of an issue I can’t figure out. I have an Xbox seires X, Xbox Elite Series 2 Controller, Xbox Wired Headset and I consistently get audio distortion/glitching/popping through my...
  3. Xbox controller issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox controller issues: I'm on PC. I use an Xbox Series X controller for a few games. And lately its been disconnecting briefly. Then it will reconnect and stay connected. But any amount of button pressing doesn't work....
  4. Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 - Core Connection issues: So my controller is becoming unresponsive, at times no form of input gets a response and sometimes just straight up disconnects. Pad is always connected via USB cable, never via Bluetooth. I've...
  5. Xbox Controller issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Controller issues: This is my third post about xbox controller issues/scam. I wonder if Microsoft will take this one down too. It's all over the Internet about controller issues, especially after updates. This is...
  6. Xbox Controller issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Controller issues: Who else has bought multiple xbox series x controllers? Why do they constantly fail? Money making scam for microsoft? 28837003-8f9d-477d-a9a1-e4e137688f60
  7. I have been having an issue with stick drift in my Xbox series X/S ( Shock Blue controller)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have been having an issue with stick drift in my Xbox series X/S ( Shock Blue controller): I have been having bad luck when it comes to Xbox controllers and stick drift. I have updated them to the current firmware, I have used them sparingly, as to not ruin the controller. My left...
  8. Xbox Wireless Controller issues with wireless headset (Windows 10)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Wireless Controller issues with wireless headset (Windows 10): So I just bought an Xbox Wireless Controller and a wireless adapter, since my PC does not support Bluetooth. Whenever I am using it without my headset, everything is fine, but as soon as I turn on...
  9. “Hi, I have an issue with my controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    “Hi, I have an issue with my controller: “Hi, I have an issue with my controller. I purchased in November of 2023. I previously had the same controller (not sure when I purchased it) but it lasted around 2 years before I needed to...
  10. Controller Issue, plz help

in XBoX on Consoles
    Controller Issue, plz help: My left stick on my Series 2 Elite controller is hard to push up. Like it gets stuck and I have to really push it up to where it finally gets all the way up. The right stick is fine and I can go...