Controller Firmware Update - Messed up my controller?!?

Discus and support Controller Firmware Update - Messed up my controller?!? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; This is REALLY frustrating, recently I have had major issues with my series x controller that apparently ALOT of other people have been having for the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Matt DFK, Apr 20, 2024.

1. Matt DFK
    Matt DFK Guest

This is REALLY frustrating, recently I have had major issues with my series x controller that apparently ALOT of other people have been having for the last few years! Out of game the left joystick and Dpad very quickly skip over 3-4 icons when I only press lightly once and the right joystick in game has serious upward drift issue.

I purchased a new controller since I needed another anyways to replace my old xbox one controller and low and behold SAME....DAMN......THING! looking into it more, both of these controllers have the same firmware. My other two controllers have older firmware and work perfect. I called xbox tech support and they said there is something wrong with my controllers and I have to take them somewhere because they must be broken.......****! Two controllers with the same exact issue??

Does anyone know of any solution to this? It seems like they just dont want to fix their issue with the firmware, I cant revert the software either.

:)

Matt DFK, Apr 20, 2024
  2. DARKKRAD21 Win User

Yup, the newest update just knocked my controller out with same exact stuff... and its only 3 months old.... this last update got me angry because now I got a very expensive paper weight.... both system and controller...

Very unhappy they need to fix this.... because taking out batteries is worthless and helps only for a half a nano second....

3. You KnowMy Steez Win User

I literally have the exact issues as you after updating my controller tonight. It was an update from November so I figured I should do it and now my controller is completely messed up. I bought a usb-c to usb wire to hard connect to console so I can try to revert back to the previous firmware. This is complete bs and Microsoft is doing nothing to fix it.
  4. LukeMQ Win User

I did it, it appear a screen that says "Something went wrong

Your controller is already up to date"

And then I can only press the "cancel" button and the system bring me to the controller menu, without any chance to revert the firmware.
  5. IvanDamian Win User

I've had this problem for a month now ever since I received that newest firmware update that I believe was given to people part of the insider program since I have some friends not part of the programs whose controllers never received an update and still work on their computers. I hate that the only solutions are just workarounds and not really a solution. I have the same problem that everyone else is having with inputs being completely ruined. I have friends that have controllers that will disconnect randomly and refuse to pair. The only way that I've been able to work around the messed-up inputs on the controller is to run games through steam and use their controller configs. I've tried rebinding all inputs using the windows control panel to even using the Xbox accessories app. Neither works, especially the accessories app since it can't even detect my controller even though it should. I just hope for a new firmware release that updates to the older version, since we can't roll back updates on controllers ourselves. I do enjoy being able to pair my controller really fast to windows with the new firmware update, but I'd rather have a working controller that I paid for.
  6. Alex_Sisk Win User

I got my Series X in January, and never even took the included controller out of the box, because I own the Elite Series 2. When I dropped my Elite Series 2 (oof) recently, I sent it off for out-of-warranty repair, and pulled out the basic controller, still wrapped and taped in the foam bag in the box.

Stock controller worked fine for a few days, then there was a firmware update - recently, and I'm having intermittent disconnections all the time. It works fine when wired with a USB-A -> USB-C cable (I use the 9-foot one that comes with the Elite Series 2).

I decided, since I'd never had trouble with connectivity on the Elite Series 2, that I would buy a 2nd one, brand new of course. It 100% required me to update before proceeding.

Since I never had issues with the Series X and Elite Series 2, I wasn't aware of the known connectivity issues until the basic controller started intermittently dropping connection.. After searching, I saw that there were a ton of articles from way back in January, including Microsoft acknowledging the problem and releasing a firmware update in March...

Yet here I am with a freshly unwrapped Series X controller AND a brand new, (delivered Sept. 7th) SECOND $180 Elite Series 2 controller, and BOTH are cutting out intermittently..

-Sitting Less than 7 feet from my console

-I keep my batteries charged - both the Elite's internal, and the Enelooph Pro AA rechargeables that I use in the regular controller.

-As I mentioned, latest firmware on controller

-Of course, latest firmware/software on Series X console

-Both controllers work fine when wired.

-Already performed hard power cycle on the controller as well as the console.

-1st Elite (the one being repaired) never had issues until I dropped it - but it was never exposed to that new firmware)

-That's 8 months I used my 1st Elite Series 2 with the Series X and no problems.

It seems to me that the original intermittent connectivity issues were never resolved.
Thema:

1. Controller Firmware Update - Messed up my controller?!? - Similar Threads - Controller Firmware Update

2. My Xbox controller Elite series 2 doesn't update to the latest firmware via Xbos Accesories...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox controller Elite series 2 doesn't update to the latest firmware via Xbos Accesories...: Hi, I'm having an issue with Elite series 2 controller, upon trying to install the latest firmware version via Xbox Accessories App to see if it solves some issues I'm having with it (It...
  3. Elite Series 2 Controller Firmware Version

in XBoX on Consoles
    Elite Series 2 Controller Firmware Version: Surfing the web a couple of days ago, I noticed there is an advanced firmware version (version 5.21.3230.0) for the Elite Series 2 controller but somehow I can't update to that version. My...
  4. Model 1914 controller no longer functions under battery power after update to firmware...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Model 1914 controller no longer functions under battery power after update to firmware...: After deciding to update firmware (update was successful) on my model 1914 controller using Windows Xbox accessories app, when under battery power, the xbox button blinks rapidly and the...
  5. My Xbox controller Elite 2 doesn't update to the latest firmware

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox controller Elite 2 doesn't update to the latest firmware: Why my Xbox controller Elite 2 doesn't update to the latest firmware? The rest of my controlller updated to the firmware 5.20.7.0 without any problem, but The Elite 2 remains with 5.17.3202.0. The...
  6. Trouble updating my Xbox One Wireless Controller firmware.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Trouble updating my Xbox One Wireless Controller firmware.: I am attempting to update my Xbox One Wireless Controller to then connect it via Bluetooth to my PC since it is currently not appearing, however I have used 5+ micro-USB cables and one which I...
  7. Xbox Console and Xbox Accessories App have different controller firmware updates? Which is...

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Console and Xbox Accessories App have different controller firmware updates? Which is...: I have both a Green Recycled Series S/X controller and a FH5 Series S/X controller. I use the FH5 controller mainly on PC and the Green Recycled controller mainly on Xbox One X. I got an update...
  8. Controller Firmware Updating for Tesla

in XboX Insiders
    Controller Firmware Updating for Tesla: Does anyone know what this lady means about 3rd-party tools for flashing older firmware? I’ve looked around but Google isn’t really getting me anywhere. Thanks. It’s the Vanessaez reply to my...
  9. Is their a Place where they post when they have a new firmware update for their controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is their a Place where they post when they have a new firmware update for their controllers?: Don't Have internet at home right now and its a pain to check on my laptop manually. was wondering if they post it somewhere so i could set something up like rss feeds for when they do....
  10. Elite Series 2 - Controller firmware update 5.19.3223.0 - Perfection!

in XboX Insiders
    Elite Series 2 - Controller firmware update 5.19.3223.0 - Perfection!: Whatever the engineers did, great job! For the first time the Elite Series 2 / Core responsiveness feels near instant in wireless mode. Updated from 3202 to 3223 Thanks! submitted by...