Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

Discus and support Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; You cannot state that "Microsoft is not a retailer" in the same paragraph in which you state that "Steam is way bigger than XBL(as a retailer)." For... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014.

  1. Knowitall(2)
    Knowitall(2) Guest

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?


    You cannot state that "Microsoft is not a retailer" in the same paragraph in which you state that "Steam is way bigger than XBL(as a retailer)."

    For the record, a Retailer is: A business or person that sells goods or services to the consumer, as opposed to a wholesaler or supplier.

    Is Microsoft a business? Check. Does Microsoft sell goods? Check. Does Microsoft sell services? Check. Does it sell goods in the Xbox Games Store over XBL? Check. Am I a consumer? Last time I "checked," so, check. Does Microsoft sell goods or services
    to me as a consumer? Check.

    Seems like a retailer to me. Just like Steam, but not Steam.
     
    Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014
    #16
  2. Epic Louie
    Epic Louie Guest
    Thank goodness for employee discount!
     
    Epic Louie, Feb 28, 2014
    #17
  3. Knowitall(2)
    Knowitall(2) Guest
    But I digress, there is no question that Microsoft is a retailer, none, zip, zilch.

    The question was, did Microsoft miss an opportunity.

    There has been a lot of negative Press claiming that Microsoft isn't happy with the sales numbers for the new console and that this was the reason for the discount. That bundling of Titanfall in with a discounted system was a way to increase market share,
    albeit while potentially losing revenue, and again seems like a desperate attempt to those in the Press to make up sales. Obviously, a less expensive console will make consumers happy as many held off on purchasing a One anyway at the price point it was originally
    set at.

    Could the Press have viewed it at all negatively if the Digital prices were lowered instead of that of the console? Would they have still claimed that it was a desperate attempt by Microsoft to help their own numbers?

    Again, Major Nelson and Mike Ybarra have already mentioned that cheaper Digital game prices are already something Microsoft is "experimenting with," Ryse: Son of Rome was the first such experiment this past January.

    I'm in the camp of those hoping to see more discounting of Digital copies of games over the discounting of the console itself. While a less expensive console would have been nice, I already have one so a price drop does not affect me, except to remind me
    I paid more just three months ago than those who buy a system today. While a Digital game price reduction would make all of the current and upcoming owners of the console a bunch of "Happy Campers."
     
    Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014
    #18
  4. Knowitall(2)
    Knowitall(2) Guest

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    @Epic Louie

    Doh! You lucky guy.
     
    Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014
    #19
  5. tohellnbak
    tohellnbak Guest
    Know.. TBH the only press stating MS was unhappy are biased blogs and websites and Sony fans who are banging there chests...If you hear from MS themselves... they are overly excited and very happy with the way the 1 has been selling...

    Like most things... who do you listen to? a website taking information from another website getting their information from a 3rd website who got theirs from a crazed "insider" masking his true identity through another username on another website... OR do
    you listen to the company themselves?
     
    tohellnbak, Feb 28, 2014
    #20
  6. Burst Axe
    Burst Axe Guest
    @tohellnbak If the internet is to be believed you most definitely listen to the crazed insider. Everything the company says is just PR Spin.
     
    Burst Axe, Feb 28, 2014
    #21
  7. tohellnbak
    tohellnbak Guest
    I tend to feel different when it comes to this XB v PS feud/hate/slander that we see every day now between those 2...
     
    tohellnbak, Feb 28, 2014
    #22
  8. Knowitall(2)
    Knowitall(2) Guest

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    I get information from as many sources as possible. I'm not a fanboy (I realize you didn't call me one) for either/any console on the market. Regardless, any website making claims of any kind has the power to turn an uninformed potential customer away
    from a product if that customer believes the sources that they are getting their information from. A Sony fan who's on the fence about getting an Xbox One to play Titanfall and only gets their information from websites or blogs that are biased against Microsoft
    could look at the ideas/comments contained at such sites and conclude that Microsoft isn't doing well, simply because that is an opinion that can be inferred from something like a price drop, three months after launch.

    Of course everyone likes price drops, and it's hard to complain about them, but it is a move that raises eyebrows and makes some question why Microsoft would be committing to this move so early after launch if they were not worried, and for some, that is
    enough to turn them away.

    They would be extremely hard pressed to find something negative to say though about something that most, if not all, gamers have actually been asking for, such as a price drop for digital purchases. Less expensive digital games in no way points to a lack
    of confidence in the abilities and value of the console itself. Instead, it could be perceived as Microsoft giving their customers what they want, usually a good thing, but not in all cases.

    I guess, at it's most fundamental level, it's all about perception. The console price drop "can" be considered good, neutral or bad depending on how you want to look at it. A digital game price reduction, in my opinion, can only be considered a good thing.
     
    Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014
    #23
  9. tohellnbak
    tohellnbak Guest
    Again.. the price drop was in the UK... where they would have t opay close to $800 USD for an XB1 and Titanfall... the inclusion of Titanfall in a bundle (some might considered a markdown) was a limited times edition and is not permanent would be like...
    hey Buy our console... we will throw in an extra controller for free...

    MS seems damned if they damned if they dont. """" MS IS OVERPRICED!!""" reduce price """ MS IS IS IN DEEP WATER"""

    makes me laugh sometimes
     
    tohellnbak, Feb 28, 2014
    #24
  10. Knowitall(2)
    Knowitall(2) Guest
    These are not the Forums to get into how currency and exchanges of them are explained. Suffice it to say, it all comes out in the wash when earnings of a worker in one country are compared to another in a different country with a different currency and
    the same can be said for the prices they pay for their products. For example, the British Pound is worth approximately 1.5 times what my Canadian Dollar is. So it is reasonable that a console in Britain, or any product for that matter, seems to be costing
    approximately 1.5 times what mine in Canada does. They are the the same price essentially. Currency value differs and this is why apparent price values differ.

    It is irrelevant where the price reduction occurred. That it occurred is all that matters.

    All bundles can be considered "Limited" in that they may not be available for the rest of the consoles lifespan. However, that there are already bundles with other games in them being sold for the same price, such as the FIFA bundle, would seem to indicate
    that the price itself will remain fixed right where it is, for now.

    I'm not saying MS is damned, but there are folks out there who are. A console price drop gives those folks ammunition for that argument.

    I'm laughing too, however, I believe we are laughing about entirely different things.
     
    Knowitall(2), Feb 28, 2014
    #25
  11. tohellnbak
    tohellnbak Guest
    you are talking about wages and exchange rates.. I am referring to value

    the Xbox was touted as being $499 USD... ok we get that... so in reality, should ANYONE who wants to purchase said console pay $499 USD.. ?? somehow in the UK and other places (AUS), they almost pay double.... this has NOTHING to do with import taxes or
    Tarrifs.. so saying someone outside a US currency market paying 1.5X more is not the right answer...

    You say you are from Canada.... so I am assuming you paid only $450 USD for the console? Take this into consideration....Since the Canadian $ is 90 cents on the dollar.. you are basically saying that just because I am using USD... if I come into you country...
    and want to purchase a house listed at 100,000 Canadian Dollars... being it is USD I am using, I only get to pay 90,000 Canadian?

    Anyways.. XBOX ONE sells for $499, which should be £297.. add in some of the taxes ETC, sure it will go up... BUT not as much as it was selling for...
     
    tohellnbak, Mar 1, 2014
    #26
  12. I was on another thread there taxes were 20% that would be £356 so the price was a little higher than it should have been but with shipping and everything else involved not so much considering everything. Seems to me like its where it should have been originally.
     
    turbohondaej1, Mar 1, 2014
    #27
  13. Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    Btw its not import tax its a tax for everything sold I believe be happy you like in America!
     
    turbohondaej1, Mar 1, 2014
    #28
  14. marine950609
    marine950609 Guest
    I think it's crap that 3 months after launch they drop the price and offer nothing to those who paid full boat when console was released. Now they are offering lower price with a game. For me this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back with my loyalty
    to Xbox. Through Xbox Live Microsoft knows who purchased Xbox One's pre-price decrease. In goodwill, they should offer a free digital download or coupon for free game to those who paid the higher prices. Unless they are not worried about the couple of million
    consumers who purchased pre-price decrease.
     
    marine950609, Mar 27, 2014
    #29
  15. mgzin66
    mgzin66 Guest
    I think the only reason you are seeing a price decrease is because the sales figures are not where they thought they would be by now. Though you will never see MS admit it.
     
    mgzin66, Oct 31, 2018
    #30
  16. marine950609 Win User

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    I think it's crap that 3 months after launch they drop the price and offer nothing to those who paid full boat when console was released. Now they are offering lower price with a game. For me this may be the straw that breaks the camel's back with my loyalty
    to Xbox. Through Xbox Live Microsoft knows who purchased Xbox One's pre-price decrease. In goodwill, they should offer a free digital download or coupon for free game to those who paid the higher prices. Unless they are not worried about the couple of million
    consumers who purchased pre-price decrease.
  17. tohellnbak Win User

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    Know.. TBH the only press stating MS was unhappy are biased blogs and websites and Sony fans who are banging there chests...If you hear from MS themselves... they are overly excited and very happy with the way the 1 has been selling...

    Like most things... who do you listen to? a website taking information from another website getting their information from a 3rd website who got theirs from a crazed "insider" masking his true identity through another username on another website... OR do
    you listen to the company themselves?
  18. Epic Louie Win User

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    Thank goodness for employee discount!
  19. Tzar of kaos Win User

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    Microsoft is not a retailer like Gamestop,Amazon or Steam.They just got a small marketplace called XBL.
  20. tohellnbak Win User

    Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

    issue is.... MS owns the XB brand.. they do not OWN the games they sell (not including their own MS brand)

    They are doing fine... the mark down has nothing to do with anything other than selling more consoles... and guess what.. it worked
Thema:

Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity?

Loading...
  1. Console Price Decrease - Did Microsoft Miss An Opportunity? - Similar Threads - Console Price Decrease

  2. Delta Preview Forced Update Frozen Console Bug

    in XboX Insiders
    Delta Preview Forced Update Frozen Console Bug: Hello, I recently moved from the Omega preview to the Delta preview. I just turned on my XBOX and was sent through initial setup again after installing a forced 4.1GB manual update. It's led me...
  3. My console doesn't have disc to digital

    in XboX Insiders
    My console doesn't have disc to digital: I joined the xbox one insider program and joined disc to digital. No Update is available for the Console and there is no disc to digital button. Also nothing claims when I play a disc game....
  4. XBOX console home page tile launch actions - Delta Ring

    in XboX Insiders
    XBOX console home page tile launch actions - Delta Ring: I really liked that I could press A and it would launch the game card/hub and then I could select PLAY on any tile on the home screen. A few days back that behavior changed and A launched the game...
  5. If I remove my only console from Insider ring, will I lose my standing?

    in XboX Insiders
    If I remove my only console from Insider ring, will I lose my standing?: Currently in the ASA ring and I have a One X that's giving me more and more issues every day. Wanted to put it back on the public build and see if that clears up anything. Won't be getting my 25th...
  6. The Xbox Legacy Passport Initiative: How Xbox Can Move Original & 360 Discs to Digital Consoles

    in XboX Insiders
    The Xbox Legacy Passport Initiative: How Xbox Can Move Original & 360 Discs to Digital Consoles: Hey everyone, With the industry pushing toward digital-only hardware ecosystems, those of us with massive physical collections (Original Xbox and Xbox 360) are facing a serious preservation...
  7. Has anyone tested Disc-to-Digital on 3 Xbox consoles at the same time? D2D + Home Xbox +...

    in XboX Insiders
    Has anyone tested Disc-to-Digital on 3 Xbox consoles at the same time? D2D + Home Xbox +...: So, I have a very specific use case for the new Disc-to-Digital feature, and I’m wondering if anyone with multiple Xbox consoles has actually tested this. I’m trying to unlock the Dominion...
  8. No hope for us Digital ONLY console owners??

    in XboX Insiders
    No hope for us Digital ONLY console owners??: So for us lowly digital only console owners what hope is there without support for an external disc drive? submitted by /u/Andymg350 [link] [comments]
  9. Xbox One S stuck on E101 after HDD replacement — console was on an Insider flight build,...

    in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One S stuck on E101 after HDD replacement — console was on an Insider flight build,...: Hey everyone, My Xbox One S had a dying internal HDD (E106), so I swapped in a blank SSD. Before the drive died, the console had been enrolled in the Xbox Insider Program. Now it won't get past...
  10. This idea will correct the unfair price difference for console customers

    in XboX Insiders
    This idea will correct the unfair price difference for console customers: Why not offer a console gamepass cheaper than the ultimate including Xbox Day One games without the cloud or the possibility of playing on your mobile? This will correct the unfair price...