Certain games throw an 0x80070005 error when starting to download them on my second drive

Discus and support Certain games throw an 0x80070005 error when starting to download them on my second drive in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Greetings, I have noticed that certain games from my PC Game Pass can't be downloaded on my second drive. The download doesn't even start, stating... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by billaras 007, Jun 14, 2023.

1. billaras 007
    billaras 007 Guest

Certain games throw an 0x80070005 error when starting to download them on my second drive

Greetings,

I have noticed that certain games from my PC Game Pass can't be downloaded on my second drive. The download doesn't even start, stating that "Something unexpected happened" with error code 0x80070005. When trying to download them on my first drive, they download fine, but I don't have the space to put large games there.

Two games where this problem has occurred to me are: Sea of Thieves, and Astroneer (in the past I have noticed this in other games, but I can't recall them). I think this issue is tied to some sort of common feature/service around these games.

Note: I've already tried solutions from similar questions and nothing helped. That's why I opened a new question

:)

billaras 007, Jun 14, 2023
  2. Geri M. Win User

Hi billaras 007,

We appreciate you for bringing this up to Xbox Forum.

It seems like you have encountered issues when downloading games on PC Game Pass to your secondary drive. As per description, an unusual happen with an error code 0x80070005. This only occurs on your secondary drive storage.

Let us check on this together and sort this out to assist your concern. However, before we proceed, we would like to ask few questions about it.

1. What is the current version and edition of Windows Installed? (Search for WINVER in Windows search to see this)
    2. Was this working before?
    3. Recent activity or changes made before the issue appeared?
    4. What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    5. Do you mind sending a screenshot of the error message? (Minimizing your personal information)

These above questions would help us provide the necessary information. Once we have gathered all the information, we will formulate the viable solution to help you with your case.

For the meantime, let's try to check and do some possible troubleshooting steps we have researched. This error code 0x80070005 on PC Game Pass can occur when downloading games to a secondary drive.

One solution is to take ownership of the folder called “WpSystem” on your hard drive and rename it to “WpSystem.old”, then save and try downloading the game again.

Another solution is to log in as the administrator and run the update again. If these solutions do not work, it may be a problem with the file or with the installation media or some corrupted system files.

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community
  3. Geri M. Win User

Hi billaras 007,

We haven't heard from you for 72 hours, so we assume the issue has already been resolved. We will not monitor this thread going forward, so if you need further assistance, click this link to create a new thread to discuss these issues. Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com)

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community
  4. billaras 007 Win User

Greetings, thanks for the feedback. I will provide the answers to your queries.

1. What is the current version and edition of Windows Installed? (Search for WINVER in Windows search to see this)
    2. Was this working before?
    3. Recent activity or changes made before the issue appeared?
    4. What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    5. Do you mind sending a screenshot of the error message? (Minimizing your personal information)
    1. Windows 11 Version 22H2

2. The error happens on specific games, I think this problem was always there for me

3. Not anything that I can think f. As I said, the problem was probably always there, I just happened to notice it when trying to install a game where the problem occurs

4. Everything I could find online. I have spent hours on this. A few steps included reinstalling/repairing apps, getting folder permissions, disabling antivirus, and more

5. Yeah, I tried this when writing the question and it didn't let me paste it. I saved a copy and uploaded it, this seemed to work now
    [​IMG]

Regarding the WpSystem solution, I've already tried it and it didn't work. But to make sure, I tried it again right now and the problem remains yet again.
  5. Geri M. Win User

Hello billaras 007,

If the the WpSystem solution did not work, we can try to take ownership of a folder or file in Windows,

to do this, you need to:

1. Open the File Explorer.
    2. Go to the file or folder.
    3. Right-click on the file or folder.
    4. Select the “Properties” option.
    5. Go to the “Security” tab.
    6. Click on the “Advanced” button.
    7. Click on “Change” next to Owner.
    8. Type your user account name into the “Enter the object name to select” box and then click “Check Names.”
    9. When the name is validated, click “OK.”
    10. Click “OK” twice more to exit out of the properties windows.
    We hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions.

We will be glad to follow up and help you.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community
  6. Geri M. Win User

Hello billaras 007,

We just want to know if you have done the suggested troubleshooting steps already and if the problem was fixed?

Let us know so we could go on for further assistance.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community
Thema:

1. Certain games throw an 0x80070005 error when starting to download them on my second drive - Similar Threads - Certain games throw

2. I have a series x console and when trying to download certain games it gives me an error...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a series x console and when trying to download certain games it gives me an error...: Trying to download the finals and my console say this game is not compatible 3296876e-7797-40e6-9cff-de265ad1386e
  3. Option to timelock games to Christmas Morning or a certain date like a birthday

in XboX Insiders
    Option to timelock games to Christmas Morning or a certain date like a birthday: One thing about Christmas or Birthdays that always felt special was playing a brand new game on that day. I'm sure that everyone else used to enjoy getting the sensation of opening a present to...
  4. Xbox Series X Controller Discon̈nects on certain games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Controller Discon̈nects on certain games: I got my xbox sx in December from ab Ebay seller. Was pretty much brand new. Since I have had it on certain games the controller disconnects and reconn̈acts for no reason. Does this on Alan wake ,...
  5. Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do so many Xbox series x refuse to read certain game discs? But will read others fine....: Urgent Attention Needed: Persistent Disc Reading Issue on Xbox Series X Dear Microsoft Support Team, I hope this message finds you well. I am reaching out to address a recurring issue with my...
  6. Why are certain hud elements appearing fuzzy when the game itself appears fine?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are certain hud elements appearing fuzzy when the game itself appears fine?: Got a new 4kuhd monitor for my series s but I think there's an upscaling issue or something since smaller hud text elements appear slightly fuzzy. For example on the Xbox home screen smaller text...
  7. Series X turning off when starting certain games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X turning off when starting certain games: My Xbox Series X completely shuts down when I try to start certain games. I can watch hours of streaming video with no issues. I can play Hours of Mass Effect 3 with no issues. But when I try to...
  8. I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...

in XBoX on Windows
    I keep getting error c0000006 on my computer. It pops up in certain apps and games. How to...: I tried opening a Setup to install some games but I keep getting this external exception error c0000006. Also when I try to activate my windows, the settings just freezes. Any solution on how to...
  9. Xbox powers off playing certain games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox powers off playing certain games: While playing games like Cod or The Finals my console will just shut off while playing them after a few minutes, no error codes nothing just off. It’s not over heating or anything it just happens...
  10. Certain games freeze the screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    Certain games freeze the screen: I've found a problem recently where certain games, which worked perfectly fine for months beforehand, have suddenly started freezing the entire screen while tabbed onto them, everything still runs...