Can't set default install location when trying to install a game.

Discus and support Can't set default install location when trying to install a game. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I just purchased the PC game pass and am having issues trying to download any games. I only have the C: drive so picking a different drive won't do... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Benjamin Herr, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Can't set default install location when trying to install a game.

I just purchased the PC game pass and am having issues trying to download any games.

I only have the C: drive so picking a different drive won't do anything. I've tried restarting, reinstalling, updating, repairing, turning on/off firewalls, PowerShell, etc.

I've tried installing the game through the microsoft store but when I click the button it greys out for a second, then nothing happens.

No matter what folder I pick, I get the same error. Is there any way to fix this??

Can't set default install location when trying to install a game. [​IMG]

:)

Benjamin Herr, Sep 24, 2023
  2. Benjamin Herr Win User

I figured it out... I'm not very computer savvy so I'm not sure if this was obvious to others or not, but if anyone else runs into this, here's what I finally got to work.

I only have the C: drive so I couldn't just pick another drive like a lot of the forum posts were suggesting. I finally just looked where my fiance had their game path saved and set the install location to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Packages

And just like that it let me start downloading ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  3. naomi payan Win User

Hi! just wondering how you might've gotten around ''you can't

set the folder while to folder is in use''
  4. championdonut23 Win User

Xbox App made to change install location, causes bluescreen

I've now got control over the folder, but it still doesn't let me set it as the default install location. When I try to, it comes up with the error message 'You can't set your default install location to that folder. Try another one.'
  5. Tezzarrific Win User

Game not launching from xbox companion app

go to settings and change storage location back to c:, then install the gaming services update, then change storage location back to wherever you had it.

the gaming services thing has to be installed on c:, if you have your default storage on another drive it errors, this gaming services app is that an app so will try to install to wherever the default storage is but it can only be installed on the system
    drive(C:)
  6. Tomm_A Win User

You can't set the default install location to this folder.

Hello,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume your problem has been solved. We won't be monitoring this topic going forward, so if you need more help, please create a new topic to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com).

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Thema:

1. Can't set default install location when trying to install a game. - Similar Threads - Can't set default

2. Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...: Please fix it soon I have a job to do and want to play a few games before I gotta go to work but lately you guys have been having issues with your things and it's slightly missing me off, you guys...
  3. You can't set the default install location to this folder.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    You can't set the default install location to this folder.: im trying to install forza horizon 5 from xbox app , when i click on install it tells me that i dont have enough space and it let me change forza installation place i clicked on my other disc and...
  4. you can't set your default install location to that folder on xbox app

in XBoX Games and Apps
    you can't set your default install location to that folder on xbox app: im trying to install forza horizon 5 from xbox app , when i click on install it tells me that i dont have enough space and it let me change forza installation place i clicked on my other disc and...
  5. Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...: I can choose my external E: drive in the drive selection menu, but when I try to select the folder I get: [img] I am on a fresh install of Windows and I've already tried reinstalling Xbox app...
  6. Can't set default save location to specific drive.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't set default save location to specific drive.: ติดตั้งเกม Forza Horizon 4 ลงไดร์ D ไม่ได้ ทำตามวิธีอื่นแล้วมาติดแบบนี้ ตาม าพ [img] b2a4c086-416f-46cd-9843-38fe57d5fa13
  7. Can't set up Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app [Android]

in XBoX on Mobile
    Can't set up Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app [Android]: Can't setup my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the screen), the app shows...
  8. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: Im struggling with setting my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the screen),...
  9. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: I have aready hard reset my xbox, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. The settings are instant on and remote downloads This is becoming so frustrating I have called support and that...
  10. I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app

in XBoX on Mobile
    I can't set up my Xbox One as default on Xbox Game Pass mobile app: I'm struggling with setting my Xbox One as default on the Xbox Game Pass app for Android. When I click on any game and then I click on "Install on Xbox" (the green box at the bottom of the...