Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game)

Discus and support Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game) in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I know I must be the only one who uses the Media Player app on a regular basis, but after the latest system update, it keeps restarting when switching... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by DM-MC2, Aug 27, 2021.

1. DM-MC2
    DM-MC2 Guest

Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game)

I know I must be the only one who uses the Media Player app on a regular basis, but after the latest system update, it keeps restarting when switching back after a game. This was not the case before, it was pretty sturdy and would resume almost without fail. This is a terrible inconvenience for me now. I suspect the app is crashing, as it tries to resume but immediately kicks me back to the dashboard. I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it with no luck. Interestingly, if I switch to a game and switch back to Media Player immediately, it does work, suggesting there's some weird memory issue going on. Did the latest system update tinker with the memory in any way?

What should I do to report a problem like this? I'm not even sure this is the best place. I'd attempt to report on Twitter but I deleted mine awhile ago for my own sake.

:)

DM-MC2, Aug 27, 2021
  2. SammyVS Win User

On the link I sent you you can report the problem online to the official Reddit community
  3. SammyVS Win User

I'm Samy an independent advisor and I'll be helping you :D

How are you, mate?

Sometimes clearing the console cache or resetting the console solves most problems, try these 2 steps and see if that solves the problem.

Clear console cache>

Turn off the Xbox console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console until it shuts down completely.

Unplug the console's power cable, wait 10 seconds. Be sure to wait 10 seconds, this step resets the power supply. 

Plug the console power cable back in, turn on your Xbox.

Reset the console>

Reset the console to factory defaults, you won't lose anything but you will need to log in with your account again. Email and password are required.

Follow this path and select reset keeping games and app.

In 5 to 10 minutes you will finish reconfiguring your console

To reset the console>

Settings> System> Console Info> Reset Console

***Do not reset your console without having your email and password.***

If the issue persists after these 2 steps, Xbox has a function to report the issue.

This link has more details about it, take a look, please.

https://support.xbox.com/en-us/help/account-pro...
  4. DM-MC2 Win User

I'm not an Xbox Insider so I can't do that. I know it's easy to join but I thought reporting problems as an insider was for the updates under development.

I cleared the cache, supposedly, and that did nothing. I know resetting it won't do anything either, this is clearly an unforeseen consequence of the system update. Perhaps if the Media Player app was updated too, but that thing hasn't received an update in forever.

I suppose I'll have to wait a month until the next update, but this won't get fixed until someone over there takes a look at it, so I'll have to find other ways of hammering it in until someone notices.
  5. QuickMythril Win User

USB device unavailable HELP!!!!!

this has never ever happened to me after years of using the xbox 360. when the Media Player preview or beta first came out it seemed to do it right away, maybe after 10 seconds. i thought this was intentional, like a trial limitation. but now i have been
    using Media Player, fully up to date as of this month (feb 2015) and i tried changing the "off with console" setting. i have this issue with mkv files as well, despite what one user above has posted.

some more details: when the video freezes, sometimes it resumes after a few seconds, only to freeze again later usually. sometimes i can pause and resume and it works, sometimes i have to press pause/play several times. sometimes i can stop the playback
    and restart the file (which starts at the beginning, rather than resuming my place like the 360 did.) but most of the time when i stop the playback it will back me out to the list of files. the one that froze, and all the files after (and sometimes also
    before) will have no thumbnail, as though it can't read from the drive. if i try to play it again it will usually say no videos found in this folder. i have to manually go to the start screen, press Quit on the media player. then for some reason the app
    will not start again right away, the workaround i found is to run some other app first like Settings, then Quit that and restart Media Player. this may be just because some time has passed, as i started to realize i could just wait about a minute or less
    and then Media Player would start again. of course that doesn't matter because it ALWAYS freezes again sooner or later.

your solution makes no difference, it still happened after a few minutes. i changed the setting and did a hard reboot. it does not work. it is broken. PLEASE fix this. this is absolutely unacceptable. we didn't pay good money for our consoles to be
    garbage. also it should be a step up, not down, from the 360. please please fix this, and add resumable bookmarks to the video files.
  6. Kodaiking Win User

Forza Horizon 5 stuck on update window

Check if there are any pending windows updates. Update it to the latest version. Check if there are any updates for the windows store and xbox app. Force quit the game and try updating and launch the game. After updates restart the PC
Thema:

1. Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game) - Similar Threads - Can't Resume Media

2. Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...: Please fix it soon I have a job to do and want to play a few games before I gotta go to work but lately you guys have been having issues with your things and it's slightly missing me off, you guys...
  3. Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...: When I stream on Discord from my Xbox, the audio of the GTA 4 game is not heard in the stream.and I stream another old game like gear of war 1 and 2 and the one I have problems with in gta 4...
  4. Hi I can't add any friends in sims freeplay, could someone please help my player id is...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Hi I can't add any friends in sims freeplay, could someone please help my player id is...: Hi, I'm playing sims freeplay on my mobile and it won't let me add any friends please could someone help? My player id is 16378184. 3ba0f6d5-5276-48f1-908c-aac166fa6619
  5. "We can't sign you in because your account has been suspended from Xbox Live." Can anyone...

in XBoX on Windows
    "We can't sign you in because your account has been suspended from Xbox Live." Can anyone...: Hello I recently encountered this issue, whenever I try to sign into xbox or minecraft launcher it will bring up xbox live login and when i sign in with any account it will say "We can't sign you...
  6. did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each...: did anyone figure out how to play with friends in keplerth me and my friend can't join each other f5fed898-2f87-4e6a-9f9a-116c71c17ba6
  7. I can't open Xbox app on pc

in XBoX on Windows
    I can't open Xbox app on pc: When ever I try to open Xbox app on pc the app just keep crashing while booting I deleted the app 3 times and tried to re install it and delete all Xbox app services nothing happened...
  8. I can't post to Xbox LFG

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I can't post to Xbox LFG: While playing Destiny 2 I'm unable to make or respond to LFG posts using the Xbox system. I've unplugged, wiped the cache, confirmed my communication and multiplayer settings are set to 'allow'...
  9. Why can't we stream on YouTube straight from Xbox?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why can't we stream on YouTube straight from Xbox?: Look Xbox does let us stream straight from our consoles to twitch and other services that makes you pay to stream from the console to YouTube which is really unfair. I did try to post a similar...
  10. Why can't you completely disable quick resume?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't you completely disable quick resume?: Honestly it's just one of the worst things that have been added to Xbox. It just causes so many issues and it's so annoying. I would rather completely disable it than be able to save 5 seconds of...