Can't move games from a hard drive to another storage device on Xbox Series X

Discus and support Can't move games from a hard drive to another storage device on Xbox Series X in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I'm trying to move games from a hard drive onto a bigger one I bought a few days ago. And when I plugged in said hard drive, it automatically upgraded... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by CharlesHinkle_944, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Can't move games from a hard drive to another storage device on Xbox Series X

I'm trying to move games from a hard drive onto a bigger one I bought a few days ago. And when I plugged in said hard drive, it automatically upgraded or downloaded all the games I had on there which I don't understand, and when I try to move some games from the hard drive, it won't even do it saying, The content is still installing." when the game was already installed to begin so I don't understand why its telling me that.

:)

CharlesHinkle_944, Oct 25, 2022
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X eternal hard drive

Hi,

If your game is now a Series X optimised title, it can no longer be played off an external hard drive. It must be moved to either the internal storage or an optional expansion card.

External USB hard drives are too slow to play Series X optimised games. None Series X games will still run from your external drive. The internal storage in the Series X is a fast NVME SSD. These drives are several times faster than mechanical hard drives.
  3. Francia J. Win User

Oh, if you haven't purchased the game, in order for you to play it you may need to purchase the game, CharlesHinkle_944. If not, it would be best to uninstall the game.
  4. CharlesHinkle_944 Win User

The game I mentioned was a game that was removed from Game Pass long ago and I never bought it digitally or physically.
  5. Francia J. Win User

I checked the error code that you received and according to Xbox Support: "This may mean that the game didn't install correctly or has a pending update. This may also happen if the game was moved between storage devices or was launched while an update was being applied."

You can check this link for the steps needed: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/errors/erro...
  6. CharlesHinkle_944 Win User

Hi I moved all my games from the hard drive I mentioned minus the one game that was giving me trouble. I tried the restarting fix you mentioned, but I'm still getting the same problem. "Content is still installing." (0x87e00008)

To clarify, I checked the queue to see if anything's installing and there is none in there. So I don't know what's causing this issue.
Thema:

1. Can't move games from a hard drive to another storage device on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - Can't move games

2. I can't make a move to the launcher

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't make a move to the launcher: Hi, I recently had a problem after reinstalling windows, logging into my launcher is not performed due to this error 0x89235107, although I do not want to log in via xbox...
  3. What do I do when my controller turns on but I can't move or anything and I tried to pair...

in XBoX on Consoles
    What do I do when my controller turns on but I can't move or anything and I tried to pair...: I was sitting watching YouTube and I have wireless headphones so my controller usually turns off. When I turned it back on I couldn't move so I turned my xbox off and tried to turn it on through...
  4. I can't move the location of the Xbox App to my new M.2 SSD from my HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't move the location of the Xbox App to my new M.2 SSD from my HDD: I'm on Windows 10 still. I recently installed a new M.2 SSD in my PC and transferred all my data from my old HDD and SSD. The only problem I'm having is getting the Xbox App installed to the new...
  5. I can't move my game from my PC storage into my SSD. How do I fix this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't move my game from my PC storage into my SSD. How do I fix this?: The game I tried to move was Sea of Thieves. It worked for a little bit but then an error popped up . The error code was "0x80070005" The words that showed up were "The operation did not complete...
  6. Can't install PC game after move operation failed

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install PC game after move operation failed: Last week I successfully installed Mount & Blade: Bannerlord from the Store. Shortly after, I was running out of space in drive C, so I moved some games to another drive. Bannerlord failed during...
  7. Installed in 2 locations, can't move, uninstalling from one makes game not work, etc

in XBoX on Consoles
    Installed in 2 locations, can't move, uninstalling from one makes game not work, etc: Tried playing Fallout 4 but it told me it requires additional reserved storage on the internal for some reason (never seen that before). So I went to move several items from internal to one of my...
  8. Xbox One X game Can't Move Some Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox One X game Can't Move Some Games: Hi , I do have an issue with Xbox One X. I use an external hdd to play and store games (Seagate 2tb xbox branded hdd) I moved most of my games to my external hdd without any issue.But when i...
  9. Minecraft Windows 10: I can't move in the game when I open the chat or XBox game bar

in XBoX on Windows
    Minecraft Windows 10: I can't move in the game when I open the chat or XBox game bar: When I open the chat and type anything there's a loading next to my mouse and after entering my Message i can't close the chat using Back button I can only close the chat using Alt + tab and after...
  10. Tried to move downloaded game to new ssd and now I can't install it at all.

in XBoX on Windows
    Tried to move downloaded game to new ssd and now I can't install it at all.: I tried to uninstall it from the original drive while it wasn't connected, it seemed fine at first but thou the game is not installed the icon does not leave the left side tray, and each time I...