Can't install XBOX App on PC

Discus and support Can't install XBOX App on PC in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I've had GamePass since September 2023 and it has been working great. Yesterday when I tried to launch an installed game from my PC a white line went... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Steven Fisher1, Dec 14, 2023.

1. Can't install XBOX App on PC

I've had GamePass since September 2023 and it has been working great.

Yesterday when I tried to launch an installed game from my PC a white line went under it like a progress bar. It kept saying it was downloading an update from the Microsoft store but it never moved. I checked online and saw that there were reported outages for Gamepass so I let it be and checked the status later.

Yesterday evening everything was reading green for Gamepass so I tried again this morning but I encountered the same problem. After trying a series of user suggestions online (resetting XBOX app, resetting apps and services) I got down to the option of uninstalling the XBOX app and reinstalling to see if that would help.

However, once I uninstalled it, I can no longer reinstall the XBOX app. The progress bar goes about one third of the way in a minute or so and then just stops. I've left it and went to work and when I came home it was in the same spot. I've quit the installation and tried again and it keeps stopping in the same spot.

I've looked online a bit and couldn't find anyone with an app installation problem (just installation problems with the games themselves).

Any ideas?

:)

Steven Fisher1, Dec 14, 2023
  2. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Steven Fisher1,

Thank you for your reply!

Please give me an update so that I can assist you further.

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Steven Fisher1,

Thank you for your contribution to the Microsoft community.

We totally understand that you want to fix your Xbox app on your PC. One thing you can try is to clear the Microsoft Store cache. Just a reminder, we are not able to double check your account and device here manually since we do not have the option to. No worries, we do have some troubleshooting steps here that we may use for the issue.

Before proceeding, I need to know more details so that we can get the best possible troubleshooting for you.

-May I know what was the last changes/updates you made on your end before the issue occurred?
    - Is everything completely working before?
    -Are you getting any error message?

Basing on the statement you provided above, here are some troubleshooting steps that you may try:

1. Press the Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.

2. Type "wsreset.exe" (without quotes) and press Enter.

3. Wait for the Microsoft Store to open and see if the issue is resolved.

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting the Windows Update components. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key + X and select "Command Prompt (Admin)".

2. Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

3. Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders by typing the following commands and pressing Enter after each one:

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old

4. Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

5. Restart your PC and try installing the Xbox app again.

Hope I helped! Please do not hesitate to ask if you have further concerns.

YanYannn
    Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Can't install Xbox PC app

Hi Timdaturtle, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear it.

Have you tried to run a system scan?

Open the Terminal window by pressing the Windows Key + X and Select "Open Powershell as Administrator".

Type this command: sfc /scannow

Press Enter.

If any error is found, they will be patched.

Then use the DISM command.

Open the Terminal window by pressing the Windows Key + X and Select "Open Powershell as Administrator".

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Let me know if it works!
  5. KhajiBower34 Win User

Can't install Xbox app on PC

Hello Nithilan A, My name is Khaji I am the independent advisor and I will be happy to help you today.

I'm sorry you're having trouble downloading the Xbox app from the Microsoft Store.

This error can occur when there is a problem with Microsoft Store services or when an important Windows update is missing. Below are some steps you can take to fix this issue:

Make sure your system is up-to-date. To do so, follow these steps:

Open the app settings.
    Select “Update and security”.
    Select “Windows Update.”
    Click “Check for updates” and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter. To do so, follow these steps:

Open the app settings.
    Select “Update and security”.
    Select “Troubleshoot.”
    Select “Windows Store Apps.”
    Click “Run the troubleshooter” and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Reset the Windows Store. To do so, follow these steps:

Open the app settings.
    Select “Applications”.
    Select “Apps & Features.”
    Search for “Microsoft Store” and select it.
    Click “Advanced Options.”
    Click “Reset” and follow the on-screen instructions.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding! If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again.
  6. Yanyannnn Win User

Hello Steven Fisher1,

We haven't heard from you, so we assume that your issue has already been addressed. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Create a new question (microsoft.com)

Thank you for understanding.

Regards,

Thema:

1. Can't install XBOX App on PC - Similar Threads - Can't install App

2. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  3. I can't install assasin's creed Valhalla on my PC in English via the Xbox app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install assasin's creed Valhalla on my PC in English via the Xbox app?: I am having trouble installing assasins creed Valhalla on my PC via the xbox app as it won't let it install in English? It is giving me the option to install in other various languages except for...
  4. I can't install Xbox app on Windows 11

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't install Xbox app on Windows 11: Hi, I've just reinstalled Windows 11 on my PC. All updates, drivers etc installed OK. When I opened the Microsoft Store it updates all the apps but then seems to get stuck on the Xbox app and the...
  5. Can't install Xbox App on windows 10 laptop

in XBoX on Windows
    Can't install Xbox App on windows 10 laptop: I can download the app. But can't seem to install it. a17e8316-74fb-4279-9b22-7d3cbf9bb62c
  6. Can't install any app on my xbox series x. How do i fix?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install any app on my xbox series x. How do i fix?: I was wanting to reinstall spotify on my xbox series x just to find out i can't install any app. Error code 0x80244022. c93fb2e7-52eb-4a1c-a945-190278963c88
  7. Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.: Specifically, I am trying to install Sea of Thieves. I have had this game since around launch and so had this game installed previously, but I had uninstalled after not playing for a long time and...
  8. Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can't I download and install Forza Horizon 5 from Xbox app on Windows 11?: I have tried everything I could to make it work, everything that is written in support and it still doesn't work. I just get an error message and the code is: 0x87e0000f...
  9. XBox App - Can't Install Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBox App - Can't Install Games: I've installed the XBox app and up until about a day or two ago it was working fine. I have multiple drives in my system labeled; C - Windows D - HDD For Games F - SSD For Games R - Media...
  10. Microsoft Store can't install the Xbox app with error code: 0x80d06809

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Microsoft Store can't install the Xbox app with error code: 0x80d06809: Hi, I'm not sure what's going on with the Xbox Game Pass. I can't re-install/ update anything from the Microsoft Store. At first, I tried to install a game on the Xbox Game Pass, and it still...