Can't install GamingServices, Xbox app, or install/launch any games on Win 10? Look here!

Discus and support Can't install GamingServices, Xbox app, or install/launch any games on Win 10? Look here! in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I went through the ring of fire the last few hours because I accidentally messed up my PC because of this issue. The game I have instaled, Sea of... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by skppr, Mar 15, 2020.

1. skppr
    skppr Guest

Can't install GamingServices, Xbox app, or install/launch any games on Win 10? Look here!

I went through the ring of fire the last few hours because I accidentally messed up my PC because of this issue. The game I have instaled, Sea of Thieves, won't start. The xbox app crashes when I try to start it. Trying to install the new version of State
    of Decay 2 (jug edition) fails at 4%. Trying to install GamingServices fails when it gets near the end of installation on the MS store. The Xbox Installer that is given out to gamepass users doesn't even work and throws the same evil error code. But I can
    install it from the microsoft store.

They both threw error code 0x80073D26, which has next to no documentation online other than some unsolved issues from 2019. There seems to be no solution right now. Deleting it using powershell, changing DNS servers, deleting MS store cache, and changing
    user accounts are the only ones that were suggested and none worked for anyone or me.

After nearly wiping my PC I was able to fix the problem on my own.

I highly recommend all advanced users make heavy use of Event Viewer.

After going to the Store log in Event Viewer, I found that errors were being thrown because the system thought GamingServices was already installed even though it wasn't. Then I had the amazing idea to delete the old registry key corresponding to the ghost
    GamingServices service that was appearing in services, and then new errors were being thrown. Two, to be exact, and they corresponded to the SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows being corrupt. Killing the windows update process and renaming this folder
    to SDold and then rebooting the PC (important, error still occrs until restart) fixed everything. Unfortunately my game seems to have been corrupt, but I am now installing both games to my C drive. Hopefully they will run fine when reinstalled.

:)

skppr, Mar 15, 2020
  2. skppr Win User

The game I have installed no longer starts.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Hi,

I'm not familiar with that error code unfortunately.

I can understand how this is frustrating, especially when using other download services like Steam or Origin that 'just work' as I've found.

The issue you're having likely isn't with the Xbox App as it's just a front end or access point to download Game Pass games. The games themselves are still downloaded from the Windows Store. If your Windows Store isn't working, the game won't download.

This may be going over old ground, apologies if does. Also, apologises in advance for the guide, it's meant for less advanced users (but it saves me editing it).

Try clearing the Windows Store cache.

1. Press the Win+R keys to open the Run dialog.

2. Type WSReset.exe, and click/tap on OK.

The WSReset tool resets the Windows Store without changing account settings or deleting installed apps.

3. A command prompt window will now open without any message. After about 30 seconds, the command prompt will automatically close, and the Microsoft Store app will open.

Run the troubleshooter:

Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot, and then from the list select Windows Store apps
    > Run the troubleshooter.

Try reinstalling gaming services. To do this:

Launch powershell as an administrator. To launch Powershell, right click on the Windows Start menu and click on Windows Powershell (admin).

Type: get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers and press enter on the keyboard.

In the same powershell window, type: start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN

Install the app on that page, including accepting the UAC prompt when shown.

Run SFC and DISM scans

If damage to certain update files is already done, System File Checker comes into play. SFC is a built-in tool that scans and fixes corrupted or incomplete files. Furthermore, it can give you a wider picture of what caused the problem
    in first place.

You can use SFC in a few easy steps:

Type into the Windows Search box Command Prompt. Right click on the Command Prompt app and select
    ‘Run as Administrator’

In the command line type following line: sfc/scannow Press Enter to confirm.

If SFC scan didn’t fix your problem, or if you can’t run SFC scan at all, you might want to try using DISM instead. To use DISM, you just need to follow these simple steps:

In Command Prompt (Admin):

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Upgrade/repair with the Windows Media Creation Tool

Besides a clean reinstallation of the OS, the Media Creation Tool can be used for updates or repairs as well. While it may be best to do a clean install of Windows 10 to fix your Windows Store issues for good, the Media Creation tool allows you to
    preserve your Apps, files and settings.

Download Media Creation Tool here.

Make some space on the system partition.

Run the tool and select Upgrade this PC now.

After Windows 10 is downloaded, accept the license agreement.

Wait while the update downloads the necessary files.

Now select Download and install updates (recommended). Click Next to proceed.

Wait while the updates are downloaded. This might take a while, so you’ll have to be patient.

Follow the instructions until you reach Ready to install screen. Click Change what to keep and select
    Keep personal files and apps option. Now click Next.

The installation will now start. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete it.
  4. XBF Leo G Win User

Hey skppr,

Thank
    you for letting us know that the issue has been fixed. We'll be locking the thread as the issue has been resolved. If you require any help with any other issues, please feel free to come back to the Xbox Forums for further assistance. If anyone needs assistance
    with this issue or any other issues, we suggest creating a new thread.

Thank you
    again and have a great day
    skppr!
  5. skppr Win User

Hi,

I'm sorry you're having this issue. I know you said you have tried to via the Windows Powershell, but did you try following these steps:

• Launch powershell as an administrator and enter
      get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    • In the same powershell window, enter start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    • Install the app on that page, including accepting the UAC prompt if or when shown.
    Thank you for replying.

I have done this. Several times. And I restarted the computer afterwards.

If you know the details of the error code please share them with me so I can try to look for a solution on my own as I wait for more suggestions. This error code appears to be fairly rare and associated with Xbox services, so it may prove difficult to fix.
    I have even searched [MS-ERREF] for information on it to no avail.
  6. skppr Win User

After nearly wiping my PC I was able to fix the problem on my own.

I highly recommend all advanced users make heavy use of Event Viewer.

After going to the Store log in Event Viewer, I found that errors were being thrown because the system thought GamingServices was already installed even though it wasn't. Then I had the amazing idea to delete the old registry key corresponding to the ghost
    GamingServices service that was appearing in services, and then new errors were being thrown. Two, to be exact, and they corresponded to the SoftwareDistribution folder in C:\Windows being corrupt. Killing the windows update process and renaming this folder
    to SDold and then rebooting the PC (important, error still occrs until restart) fixed everything. Unfortunately my game seems to have been corrupt, but I am now installing both games to my C drive. Hopefully they will run fine when reinstalled.
Thema:

1. Can't install GamingServices, Xbox app, or install/launch any games on Win 10? Look here! - Similar Threads - Can't install GamingServices

2. Why can't I install minecraft deluxe edition on my windows 11 pc after buying?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I install minecraft deluxe edition on my windows 11 pc after buying?: So yesterday I bought Minecraft deluxe edition JAVA and Bedrock. As I proceeded to installation, it displays an error that it couldn't find connection towards the Microsoft Store. After signing in...
  3. I play virtual gaming and I can't install it, I need help

in XBoX on Windows
    I play virtual gaming and I can't install it, I need help: I play virtual gaming and I am having a hard time downloading the game and I need help if someone can help me please? 85094ede-f6b5-425c-b2ad-fc8e15617c7d
  4. I get the error 0x80070490 and 0x80073CF9 and I also can't install the gaming services. I...

in XBoX on Windows
    I get the error 0x80070490 and 0x80073CF9 and I also can't install the gaming services. I...: Since I have bought the new laptop when I launch the xbox app it says the error code mentioned above and asks for updates and even after contacting the customer care and folllowing all the steos...
  5. Why can't I install minecraft on my Samsung galaxy A14 even though I do all the comon ways...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I install minecraft on my Samsung galaxy A14 even though I do all the comon ways...: I can't get minecraft on my Samsung galaxy A14 but it gives me an error every time and I have tried all the common was to fix it but it won't work fa98b81c-b4fd-4be3-be0e-1ee1f5b028e3
  6. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  7. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  8. Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I use Minecraft Launcher WITHOUT installing it on the Microsoft Store, and...: Seriously, I know Microsoft wants to streamline their cross-platform capabilities, but this is so stupid. I can't even play Minecraft without the Xbox app working properly. The Xbox app is such a...
  9. Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't install sea of thieves as I have a red x on the system requirements even though I...: I have a Ryzen 3 3100 Gt 1030 2 GB 16 GB RAM Can't install sea of thieves because I have X on system requirements even though I meet all the requirements as I had sea of thieves on my...
  10. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...