Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...

Discus and support Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I can choose my external E: drive in the drive selection menu, but when I try to select the folder I get: [img] I am on a fresh install of Windows... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by rokowy, Jul 14, 2022.

1. rokowy
    rokowy Guest

Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default...

I can choose my external E: drive in the drive selection menu, but when I try to select the folder I get:

Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default... [​IMG]

I am on a fresh install of Windows and I've already tried reinstalling Xbox app and Gaming Sevices, as well as renaming WindowsApps folder.
    To clarify, when I try to change the folder from XboxGames to another one it doesn't show that it changed the folder and the message still persists.

:)

rokowy, Jul 14, 2022
  2. MorseyBaby Win User

My xbox one s wont install rainbow six seige as ‘there isn’t enough space’

Do you have your default installation location set to be the external drive? If not internal storage will still be set to default
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Updates download location

Updates can only be downloaded to the drive where the game is located.

So, even if you have the external set as the default download location, if your game is located internally that is where the update will go. You can't have a games and updates on different drives.
  4. CarsUn432 Win User

"Installion Stopped"

It was a problem with my external drive, I couldn't install those few items to my external drive but I could install them using my internal hard drive by setting it as default.
  5. FreakRoach Win User

Can I download my digital games onto external hard drive

Set you external hard drive as default location in the settings, and every game will be installed there by default no matter whether install was triggered manually or from PC or mobile.

To do so, follow these steps:

1. Go to Settings on your Xbox

2. On Settings page, go to System, and then select Storage

3. There, on the right you'll see all the drives including your external drive.

4. Select your external drive where you want to install games, and press A button on controller.

5. This will open the menu. Here select the option "Install here by default".

Then to install games from PC or mobile, you will have to trigger the installation remotely. To do so

1 .Open Microsoft store App, or use Xbox.com

2. Find the game that you own and want to install.

3. There click Install button and you'll be prompted to select a device where to install. Select your Xbox One and proceed.
  6. AssertiveGrub90 Win User

Updating a game causes me to have to reinstall the ENTIRE THING

If the external hard drive is the possible cause then try and update something while the hard drive is disconnected.

It may be that your game is on the external hard drive but your default location for downloading games in your internal hard drive so when it goes to update it can't find the game as it isn't in the default location. If this is the case you would need to
    make sure that the games being updated are on the internal hard drive before updating.
Thema:

1. Can't install games on my external drive. There is a message: "You can't set your default... - Similar Threads - Can't install games

2. I play virtual gaming and I can't install it, I need help

in XBoX on Windows
    I play virtual gaming and I can't install it, I need help: I play virtual gaming and I am having a hard time downloading the game and I need help if someone can help me please? 85094ede-f6b5-425c-b2ad-fc8e15617c7d
  3. I get the error 0x80070490 and 0x80073CF9 and I also can't install the gaming services. I...

in XBoX on Windows
    I get the error 0x80070490 and 0x80073CF9 and I also can't install the gaming services. I...: Since I have bought the new laptop when I launch the xbox app it says the error code mentioned above and asks for updates and even after contacting the customer care and folllowing all the steos...
  4. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  5. I can't install games (please help me)

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't install games (please help me): Hello and welcome to my personal hell the last 2 days. My computer refuses to install games from the Xbox app. I can click the install button, but cannot choose a folder within my hard drive to...
  6. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  7. Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install any Ubisoft game through Game Pass: Hello, I can't seem to install any Ubisoft game on the Xbox pc app only three dots come up on the install button. I've tried to Uninstall other apps/games but that hasn't worked please help me....
  8. Error 0x80073d19 - Can't install new games/Minecraft

in XBoX on Windows
    Error 0x80073d19 - Can't install new games/Minecraft: Can't seem to figure this one out. Says "Something unexpected happened." and gives this error code 0x80073d19 602466b2-0b6b-4706-bb99-8d1704e3fb73
  9. I have a FIFA 19 game disc and can't install on my XBOX ONE console. It only installs up to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I have a FIFA 19 game disc and can't install on my XBOX ONE console. It only installs up to...: I have a FIFA 19 game disc and can't install on my XBOX ONE console. It only installs up to 17.1% I have tried different methods, but nothing works... fc8861b4-2237-4daa-9aab-13e01e78d2eb
  10. Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't install games on PC through Xbox and Microsoft Store apps; getting error code 0x80070005.: Specifically, I am trying to install Sea of Thieves. I have had this game since around launch and so had this game installed previously, but I had uninstalled after not playing for a long time and...