Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X

Discus and support Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; 1. I can’t seem to get my hard drive to work as a capture device on my Xbox Series X. I keep getting the message “(0x80bd003c)” about formatting the... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Elrond's Eyebrows, Sep 19, 2022.

1. Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X

1. I can’t seem to get my hard drive to work as a capture device on my Xbox Series X. I keep getting the message “(0x80bd003c)” about formatting the device on your PC to NTFS. I have done this multiple times now on two separate computers; both the Quick Formate option and also the longer one.

I have switched which port it is plugged into on the console, but this did nothing, I’ve reset my Xbox, unplugged and replugged everything back in, but nothing seems to be working. The hard drive is a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive. It is a few years old but it does have a USB 3.0 and everything else of which is required according to the external capture settings. And when it's pulled up on my computer btw, it does indeed show it is formatted as NTFS.

It did work with my xbox as a game storage device for a couple years, so my console does detect it. As a side note, when I do plug it in now it is labeled as EFI? Idk if that’s at all important….

2. I have another hard drive: 2TB WD EasyStore which is newer. I went ahead and did all the same things with it as as I did with the first, but it too is still getting the same “needs to be formatted at NTFS” message.

I feel like I’ve tried everything at this point, don’t know what I could be doing wrong, so if anyone has any other solutions or ideas I'd appreciate some help.

:)

Elrond's Eyebrows, Sep 19, 2022
  2. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi, thanks for sharing the resolution!
    I appreciate that, I'm going to keep that in mind if someone else experience something similar in the future

I'm glad to hear that everything's working now
    For now, take care and happy gaming
  3. JosefLBohorquez Win User

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.

I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Elrond's

May I know if you tried power cycling your console to see if the the drive finally can be recognized?

1. Turn off your console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the console for about 10 seconds, until it shuts down completely.

2. Unplug the console's power cable from the console and from the power outlet. Wait 5 minutes.

Important: Be sure to wait at least 5 minutes. This step resets the power supply.

3. Plug the console power cable back in.

4. Press the Xbox button on your console to turn it on.

Also, are you able to test the drive with another Xbox console to see if you're able to format the drive from there?

Once you do that, connect the drive to your console and check if you can use it
  4. Elrond's Eyebrows Win User

Thank you so much for the reply Josef! I went ahead and followed your instructions but still was unable to get the hard drive to show up as an option to use to store captures. I even tried it on my older Xbox One S and it would not show up there either. I checked my hard drive cables as well just in case it had anything to do with maybe a shortage in the chord or something. But all seems fine. I am going to go ahead and try a factory reset on the X and see if that helps.
  5. Elrond's Eyebrows Win User

Great news! I finally got things to work this morning! It ended up being the EFI partition causing the problem (I had no idea what the "EFI" was until this morning so I over looked initially....oops lol). I went on my computer and used command prompt to delete the partition on the drive and then created a new partition in the unallocated space left behind. Plugged the drive back into my Xbox, opted to keep it as a media device, went under storage and was relieved to finally be able to select it as an external capture device. Thank you so much for your help through this process! I really appreciated your promptness in responding.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

That's really strange.
    Please try factory resetting the Series X. Just to confirm, are you not using an insider build / beta OS on it. Right?

If factory resetting the console doesn't work try performing an offline update, in that way Xbox system will be installed from scratch. (Just in case there is a persistent bug)
    For this you need a USB and PC to format it and transfer files provided in the link below (with steps):

https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/...
Thema:

1. Can't get formatted hard drive to work as capture location on Xbox Series X - Similar Threads - Can't formatted hard

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  4. I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...: [img] [img] Please help, I don't want to use my C: drive since it doesn't have that much storage. c517403b-05c4-4e77-a535-8092e3cddf67
  5. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  6. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  7. Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive: Logisat (Set-top Boxes) 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive hi I recently purchased a 1tb 3.0 external hard drive. When connected to xbox one it asks me to format the drive. When I...
  8. I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't format my new external hard drive for my xbox one.: I bought a Seagate 4 tb external hard drive, but my dashboard isn't coming up when I try to format the drive. Any idea why? 4ee5e914-bc61-4714-8b1d-c361b3b73a8d
  9. My Xbox One can't format my Hard Drive, Help

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox One can't format my Hard Drive, Help: Hello. Yesterday i bought USB 3.0 Hard drive with 3tb. But when i connect it a notification appears: ''Hard drive multimedia ready for installation'' but i want use it for Games an Aplications...
  10. Can't format external hard drive?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format external hard drive?: I recently bought the 2TB USB 3.0 Samsung D3 Station for my Xbox. I initially plugged it in and managed to go into settings>system>manage storage and formatted it but didn't save anything to it. I...