Can't format USB drive

Discus and support Can't format USB drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Got a brand new XBOX One S yesterday. Set it up, immediately it updated to the latest software. I am having problems adding a 4TB Seagate USB 3... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ozgadgetguy, Dec 13, 2016.

1. ozgadgetguy
    ozgadgetguy Guest

Can't format USB drive

Got a brand new XBOX One S yesterday. Set it up, immediately it updated to the latest software.

I am having problems adding a 4TB Seagate USB 3 external drive.

First off it had no "format" option so I used a partition manager to delete all partitions, create a single new partition and formatted it as NTFS.

That got me the format menu. I followed it through all the way, selected the final "format storage device" and nothing happened – it just went back to the storage menu.

I tried various other things, adding it with a blank partition (without formatting) etc and can't get the format menu back. I tried exFAT, NTFS, no partition at all.

I've tried partitioning/formatting with the built-in Windows disk tool and also two 3rd party utilities.

I have done a hard reset, I have even returned the console because I thought it may be a hardware issue but the new one behaves the same way.

I have also tried a 1.5TB Seagate, 960GB SSD and 500GB Hitachi. Can't get the format menu to even appear on them. The drives are recognised, just no option to format for use for storage. These are all USB 3.0 portable drives by the way. I've tried all USB
    ports and two different USB 3 cables. All cables and drives work fine on my Windows laptop.

Just spent a fruitless hour with XBOX "tech support" who gave me nothing new to try and eventually told me all my drives must be incompatible and to go speak to the drive manufacturers. Yeah, right. So basically support was useless.

What I need is some real tech support where they diagnose using logs etc and find out what is going on but the guy I spoke to said there was no option for that.

I'm open to any other ideas...

:)

ozgadgetguy, Dec 13, 2016
  2. Bazajaytee
    Bazajaytee Guest
    360 Slim Hard Drive Issue

What error do you see when you tried to format your USB stick?

Sounds odd you can't format HDD or USB flash drive.

Bazajaytee, Dec 13, 2016
  3. Photonimus
    Photonimus Guest
    USB drive help!

A USB stick/drive can't be made to have part set for xbox, and part for computer. Formatting for the xbox formats the USB completly.

Photonimus, Dec 13, 2016
  4. Mister Cizl
    Mister Cizl Guest

Can't format USB drive

Hey ozgadgetguy! When the drives are recognized, are you able to see them in the "Manage Storage" section? More info on how to navigate there can be found

here
    . Post back and let me know!

Mister Cizl, Dec 15, 2016
  5. Mister Cizl Win User

Can't format USB drive

Hey ozgadgetguy! When the drives are recognized, are you able to see them in the "Manage Storage" section? More info on how to navigate there can be found

here
    . Post back and let me know!
  6. Photonimus Win User

USB drive help!

A USB stick/drive can't be made to have part set for xbox, and part for computer. Formatting for the xbox formats the USB completly.
  7. Bazajaytee Win User

360 Slim Hard Drive Issue

What error do you see when you tried to format your USB stick?

Sounds odd you can't format HDD or USB flash drive.
  8. ngocphi Win User

cant choose my kingston usb drive when i try to install forza horizon 5 o xbox app

Well no as usb drives can't be formated ro ntfs

You have to use a ssd or hdd
  9. MattSTKC Win User

USB HELP

To use a USB flash drive with your console, the USB flash drive must meet these requirements:

A minimum of 1 GB storage capacity.

Formatted with the Windows FAT32 file system. Macintosh or Linux formats do not work.

Note Using a USB flash drive that does not meet the minimum performance requirements might significantly affect the performance of your console.

Your drive should work as long as it's FAT32 formatted. to format in FAT32 see here- (older guide but should still have relevant steps)
    www.makeuseof.com/.../format-usb-drive
Thema:

Can't format USB drive

1. Can't format USB drive - Similar Threads - Can't format USB

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  4. I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...: [img] [img] Please help, I don't want to use my C: drive since it doesn't have that much storage. c517403b-05c4-4e77-a535-8092e3cddf67
  5. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  6. DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them: I hadn't used my XBox360 in a couple years (really my son's Xbox that I inherited when he moved out), and when I tried to use it, it would not read any of my game DVDs. When I chose "Open Tray",...
  7. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  8. Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...: Xbox Game Pass kullanıcısıyım ve oyunlarımı D: klasörüne yüklüyorum. Bugün bilgisayarıma yani C: diskine format attım. Xbox'a girdim ve yüklemiş olduğum oyunların görünmediğini fark ettim. Oyunlar...
  9. Can't Format an external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Format an external HDD: I have a 2T, Toshiba, USB3.0, external HDD, formatted to NTFS, for use on a Xbox ONE S. I have plugged it into each of the USB sockets, and each time the drive is seen, but only for captures and...
  10. Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]: Há cerca de um ano meu console apresentou um problema em que ele ligava porém não iniciava. Levei numa assistência técnica e o técnico não conseguiu resolver o problema também. Ele achou que meu...