Can't format external hard drive?

Discus and support Can't format external hard drive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently bought the 2TB USB 3.0 Samsung D3 Station for my Xbox. I initially plugged it in and managed to go into settings>system>manage storage and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CoOkii 10, Mar 24, 2015.

1. CoOkii 10
    CoOkii 10 Guest

I recently bought the 2TB USB 3.0 Samsung D3 Station for my Xbox. I initially plugged it in and managed to go into settings>system>manage storage and formatted it but didn't save anything to it. I then needed it for transferring some computer files so I
    plugged it into my PC and it wouldn't recognise that it was plugged in, so I created a new partition and it worked fine, I transferred my files and everything. Then I went back to my Xbox, plugged it in and it said it was a media storage and that I could only
    view content without giving me the option to format again. I've tried deleting the current partition and creating a new one, I've tried formatting to NTFS and FAT32, I've tried deleting all partitions altogether but it still says it's a media storage and won't
    let me format it again.

Any help/suggestions will be very helpful!

:)

CoOkii 10, Mar 24, 2015
  2. ddaydaz
    ddaydaz Guest
    Can't format external hard drive

hi

I recently purchased a 1tb 3.0 external hard drive. When connected to xbox one it asks me to format the drive. When I attempted to format the drive everything seems to be going ok but then nothing happens and drive is not seen.

ddaydaz, Mar 24, 2015
  3. Miss Bijoux
    Miss Bijoux Guest
    Format external hard drive

Hey there -

That's something you'd want to check with >>Western Digital<< for assistance with. We are unable to provide support of
    this nature for third party products.

Thanks for understanding. Can't format external hard drive? :)

Miss Bijoux, Mar 24, 2015
  4. Can't format external hard drive?

The drive cant be partitioned, when you format it to your Xbox it pretty much is only good for the Xbox. If you need one for your computer then I would suggest buying another one.

Richiestang78, Mar 24, 2015
  5. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    Have you tried using the windows disk management tool to delete the extra partition you created?

Then resized the original partition to fill the disk again?

As far as I know you can't use multiple partitions and the one partition you do have must be over 256GB to be recognised.

Malacath, Mar 27, 2015
  6. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    What Malacath and Richiestang78 are telling you is correct. You cannot use a partitioned drive on the Xbox One for game/app installation. It can only have one partition and will become dedicated to game and app storage - you won't be able to use it for media
    or as extra storage for your PC. You will have to use a separate drive for media.

-

Now I am not sure as to why the Xbox One isn't allowing you to format it again. You should be able to format it into NTSC (and leave it blank) then be able to format it when attached to your Xbox One. You might try a hard reset on the One to clear out the
    memory cache to see if that helps, that is the only thing I can think of that might cause an issue with it formatting to a games drive on the One. Mine was a little flaky the other day when I was trying to transfer some files between hard drives (wouldn't
    move them) and it didn't work until I did a hard reset on the system

dlCHIEF58, Mar 27, 2015
  7. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    The other thing to check is your USB cable - I have seen this issue pop up as well.. Make sure it is rated for USB 3.0 because if you have a USB 2.0 rated cable (or a cheap or defective one), it will only recognize the drive as a Media drive since it is
    only transmitting at USB 2.0 speeds. I wouldn't be surprised if this is your problem.

dlCHIEF58, Mar 27, 2015
  8. CoOkii 10
    CoOkii 10 Guest

It doesn't have multiple partitions, I've literally tried deleting every partition and seeing if that works but it doesn't. I've also tried one partition formatted to NTFS and nothing :/ I'll have to try another cable but it worked when I first bought the
    hard drive before I temporarily reverted it back to PC storage.

CoOkii 10, Mar 27, 2015
  9. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    From your first post, it was a little confusing about whether you partitioned the drive as single or multiple partitions, which led to some confusion when answering your question. But try my two suggestions - a new cable and hard reset of the Xbox One to
    clear the cache (I'd try this first) to see if that fixes your problem. Also when you format it on the PC (before trying to format on the One) I'd rename it something different that what you used previously. This also may be confusing the One if you have it
    named the same as before.

dlCHIEF58, Mar 27, 2015
  10. Timmo0985
    Timmo0985 Guest
    I have the problem when formatting on Xbox the green spinning circle just says on and nothing happens is the d3 compatible with Xbox one

Timmo0985, Oct 31, 2018
  11. Obsessive Power Win User

Copy files from Mac to Xbox One external HDD ?

Hi,

Not sure what you wanted to do here, could you elaborate?

As for external hard drives, you can't partition them for use as both external storage for games and for use with your Mac or PC. You can use an external hard drive on the Xbox One as a media drive, though.

If you format an external hard drive for Xbox One games storage, the whole drive is formatted and the file system is changed.
  12. AScannerDorkly Win User

Borderlands, Bioshock: Can't Download error message

I have a 2 TB external hard drive that I plugged into the Xbox and formatted. Still can't download games to it.
  13. KrizanLovich Win User

Which external hard drive to use with Xbox 360 ?

as per the other comments about the use of the external hard drive for the 360 I am in the update preview program which allows additional External hard drives to be used.I purchased the same Seagate 2tb external hard drive as per my xboxone but when I apply
    the format on the xbox360 as per the instructions it replies with unable to format. Would like to know what external hard drives are compatible? I no the hard drive works as tried it on the xboxone after it would not format for the 360

thanks

NZ Racer
  14. StuartATrueRed Win User

KESU Hard drive not connecting to my Xbox One S

15. Hoskayra Win User

External drive

Hello, Randle my name is oskayra I am an independent advisor and player like you I hope I can help solve your problem today

There are a few reasons why you might be getting an error message saying that you can't play games from your external hard drive. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check the external hard drive format: Make sure the external hard drive is formatted as NTFS or exFAT. These are the two formats that are compatible with Xbox consoles. If the hard drive is formatted as a different format, such as FAT32, you will need to reformat it.

2. Check the external hard drive connection: Make sure the external hard drive is properly connected to your Xbox console. The cable should be securely plugged into both the hard drive and the console's USB port. Try using a different USB port if possible.

3. Check the external hard drive power supply: If your external hard drive requires an external power adapter, make sure it is plugged in and working properly.

4. Update your Xbox console: Make sure your Xbox console is running the latest software updates. Outdated software can sometimes cause compatibility issues with external hard drives.

5. Restart your Xbox console: A simple restart can often fix temporary glitches that might be preventing your Xbox console from recognizing your external hard drive.

6. Format the external hard drive: If none of the above steps work, you may need to format the external hard drive. This will erase all of the data on the drive, so make sure you back up any important files first.

Here are some additional tips:

Try using a different external hard drive to see if the problem is with the hard drive itself.
    If you are using a USB hub, try connecting the external hard drive directly to your Xbox console.
    If you are still having problems, contact Xbox support for further assistance.
    I hope this helps!

If you need anything else, do not hesitate to contact us again. Best Regards Oskayra
Thema:

1. Can't format external hard drive? - Similar Threads - Can't format external

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  4. I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...: [img] [img] Please help, I don't want to use my C: drive since it doesn't have that much storage. c517403b-05c4-4e77-a535-8092e3cddf67
  5. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  6. DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them: I hadn't used my XBox360 in a couple years (really my son's Xbox that I inherited when he moved out), and when I tried to use it, it would not read any of my game DVDs. When I chose "Open Tray",...
  7. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  8. Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...: Xbox Game Pass kullanıcısıyım ve oyunlarımı D: klasörüne yüklüyorum. Bugün bilgisayarıma yani C: diskine format attım. Xbox'a girdim ve yüklemiş olduğum oyunların görünmediğini fark ettim. Oyunlar...
  9. Can't Format an external HDD

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Format an external HDD: I have a 2T, Toshiba, USB3.0, external HDD, formatted to NTFS, for use on a Xbox ONE S. I have plugged it into each of the USB sockets, and each time the drive is seen, but only for captures and...
  10. Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]: Há cerca de um ano meu console apresentou um problema em que ele ligava porém não iniciava. Levei numa assistência técnica e o técnico não conseguiu resolver o problema também. Ele achou que meu...