Can't Format an external HDD

Discus and support Can't Format an external HDD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a 2T, Toshiba, USB3.0, external HDD, formatted to NTFS, for use on a Xbox ONE S. I have plugged it into each of the USB sockets, and each time... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MadByker113, May 26, 2020.

1. MadByker113
    MadByker113 Guest

I have a 2T, Toshiba, USB3.0, external HDD, formatted to NTFS, for use on a Xbox ONE S. I have plugged it into each of the USB sockets, and each time the drive is seen, but only for captures and media storage. At no time have I had anything coming up
    to Format the drive, and when I navigate to storage through the settings menu, the drive is seen but I don't have a Format option. How the hell do I get the Xbox to format it so I can use it for games? I have trawled the forums and have seen this same issue
    several times, with no answer.

:)

MadByker113, May 26, 2020
  2. MadByker113 Win User

Thanks for the reply TTV RawwMonkey, but I can't see anything in that link that addresses the problem? I have searched the Reddit, and the forums, that it links to in support (chat and calls not available) and can not find how to force a drive, that surpasses
    the necessary spec, to be formatted by my Xbox. I have followed the guides, I have tried the fixes that are suggested, but am left with an HDD I can not use for games. Is there a way of forcing an Xbox format through a PC?
  3. MadByker113 Win User

Thanks Ironwilled, I'll try and get the format to work on another machine as suggested. I am out of luck after several attempts on this machine. I only see a primary partition on the formatted drive which seems to be for the entirety of the drivespace.
    I might have a try with partition manager, delete the partition and reformat again with just the one volume. I will feedback if it works, or if finally, I formatted on another machine.
  4. Ironwilled Win User

Hi There,

I've found the same, a bunch of threads with solutions posted but no guarantees if they will work with your problem. I can link you to one that I've found and I can also offer up some advice. Try and reset the hard drive by formatting it again to its original
    state and then (this might be the tricky part) try and get a different Xbox to format the drive. It might be that your Xbox is the one thats causing the conflict with the hard drive. You could also try a different hard drive but since you already bought this
    one, it might be worth it to try it with a different Xbox first. Good luck and hopefully you'll get somewhere.

Link: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...s/3e63e469-0c4a-4b1d-9aad-550005808451?page=1
  5. DominumStige Win User

External hard drive is not detected

Hi!

You can try formatting the external HDD directly with a PC, then you can connect it to the console and use it. It can happen if an external HDD is not properly formatted.
  6. Dakrkplayer2 Win User

External Hard Drive issues

CTRMamba24 you can't dual formatted the external HDD fir you going used it for the one. It either the one or the PC. But not both of them.
Thema:

1. Can't Format an external HDD - Similar Threads - Can't Format external

2. Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't Install Game Pass Games to Specific Drive. Error: "This drive isn't formatted as...: I am paying for Game Pass, but can't install large games because the 18TB Seagate Exos x18 7200RPM HDD is for some reason disliked by Microsoft, Xbox, or Game Pass. I purchased such a huge drive...
  3. Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format my Samsung T5 SSD for Xbox: Hello, I have a problem with my external SSD. I have an Xbox Series S, and my Xbox sees my external SSD Samsung portable SSD T5 with 2 tb but only for media, there is no option to use it for...
  4. I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can't use my hard drive to install Xbox games, it says it isn't formatted as NTFS even...: [img] [img] Please help, I don't want to use my C: drive since it doesn't have that much storage. c517403b-05c4-4e77-a535-8092e3cddf67
  5. Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format the External Xbox One Hard Drive Storage to use for Windows?! PLEASE READ!!: If you have an external storage hard drive previously used for Xbox One games data and instead wanna use it on Windows, please note that it's no use to just format the drive to erase all the data....
  6. DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    DVD not working; want to get a couple games in Digital format but can't find them: I hadn't used my XBox360 in a couple years (really my son's Xbox that I inherited when he moved out), and when I tried to use it, it would not read any of my game DVDs. When I chose "Open Tray",...
  7. Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can't format WD hard drive to Xbox One: Hi everyone I am getting really ticked off with trying to use my WD Elements hard drive for my Xbox One. I just formatted it from the apple file system to NTFS and it showed up as a media drive....
  8. Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game Pass Format Sonrası Oyunları Görmeme Hatası / Xbox Game Pass can't see my games...: Xbox Game Pass kullanıcısıyım ve oyunlarımı D: klasörüne yüklüyorum. Bugün bilgisayarıma yani C: diskine format attım. Xbox'a girdim ve yüklemiş olduğum oyunların görünmediğini fark ettim. Oyunlar...
  9. Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]

in XBoX on Consoles
    Não consigo formatar meu Xbox One[I can't format my Xbox One]: Há cerca de um ano meu console apresentou um problema em que ele ligava porém não iniciava. Levei numa assistência técnica e o técnico não conseguiu resolver o problema também. Ele achou que meu...
  10. Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive

in XBoX TV Hardware
    Logisat 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive: Logisat (Set-top Boxes) 2350HD+: Can't format external hard drive hi I recently purchased a 1tb 3.0 external hard drive. When connected to xbox one it asks me to format the drive. When I...