cant connect an Xbox 360 controller to PC windows 10 via cable

Discus and support cant connect an Xbox 360 controller to PC windows 10 via cable in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I failed to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my PC via cable the controller is an original Microsoft Xbox 360 controller from 2013. the PC is... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by liorlederer, Feb 27, 2022.

1. liorlederer
    liorlederer Guest

I failed to connect my Xbox 360 controller to my PC via cable

the controller is an original Microsoft Xbox 360 controller from 2013.

the PC is running windows 10.

after connecting the controller to the PC it was recognized in the device manager under the "Xbox 360 peripherals" category.

the controller doesn't show up in "Game controllers" (as a different controller i used was shown).

the controller doesn't work in games and other aplications.

I tried updating the driver, uninstalling and reinstalling, updating windows - didn't help.

I tried reading almost any online post i found on Microsoft support, community and others but it didn't help.

I didn't find a driver online to manually download and install.

does anybody have an idea how to properly install the controller?

*Moved to Gaming and Xbox*

:)

liorlederer, Feb 27, 2022
  2. StuartATrueRed Win User

Laptop not detecting xbox 360 wired controller

Are you sure the Xbox 360 is a wired Xbox 360 controller, and not connected by a separate cable like the play and charge cable? If it is the play and charge cable, it will not work on Windows 10, as it only charges the batteries on a PC. If it is a actual
    wired controller, then Windows 10 should detect and then download the drivers if needed.

More info on connecting a 360 controller to a PC can be found here
    https://beta.support.xbox.com/help/xbox-360/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-controller-for-windows-setup
  3. XBF Diego M Win User

Can the X Box One Wireless Controller with Bluetooth also be used with the X Box One Wireless Adapter for Windows 10?

Hi Beau,

Thank you for coming to the Xbox forums, I'd be happy to answer that.

The Xbox One Wireless controller with Bluetooth can be connected to a Windows 10 PC with a USB cable, Bluetooth, or with the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10, so yes, it can be connected via the adapter. The Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows 10 is not
    compatible with an Xbox 360 controller and will need the Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows. I'll provide the support articles with this information:

I hope this helps!
  4. XBF - Amory Win User

Alrighty then. Let's try again in Device Manager.

1. Open Device Manager
    2. With your controller plugged-in, look for and uninstall the following:
      • Human Interface Devices > XINPUT compatible HID device
      • Xbox Peripherals > Xbox 360 Controller
    If something above isn't a perfect match, the main takeaway here is to look for the corresponding driver under Human Interface Devices (HID) that matches the one for your controller. When in doubt about which one it is, unplug the controller and plug it back in while looking at the Device Manager window with the HID expanded (so you can spot the one that changes).

Once you've done that, I always recommend restarting the computer and then plugging the controller back in.

Let me know how that goes. In the meantime as well, if the problem persists, please submit a bug report from the Xbox app on your PC (Profile Icon > Feedback > Report a Problem) when the problem happens again.
  5. Videea Win User

I have a VERY similar issue... i think you are talking about a wired 360 controller, but I am more specifically talking about a wired 360 guitar (controller). mine also is recognized by windows 10 as a 360 controller (not a guitar), and despite everything I do with them (i have 2)... it will not work on my xbox 1 x through windows 10 (and the xbox companion app built into windows 10). I was able to get my xbox 1 wired regular controller to work using windows 10. if you find an answer, please let me know, it will likely fix my issue as well, even though my issue is slightly different
  6. XBF - Amory Win User

Thanks for providing as much information as you have. It appears that you've done everything correctly thus far. Can you tell me the following:

1. Does the controller work normally when plugged into an Xbox console?
    2. Does this problem happen on other computers, or only yours?
    3. Are you playing games purchased from the Xbox or Microsoft Store apps, or are you talking about games purchased through another storefront, like Steam?
    That last one sounds like it might not be important, but it is. Steam itself can sometimes be the culprit for not recognizing controllers that are plugged in, as it loads profiles between your controller and the games you're trying to play.
Thema:

1. cant connect an Xbox 360 controller to PC windows 10 via cable - Similar Threads - cant connect 360

2. Xbox 360 cant connect to internet or install system updates

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 cant connect to internet or install system updates: My Xbox 360 4GB will not connect to the internet or perform system updates. It can recognize the WiFi signal, but it wont connect. Setting up a wired connection allows it to connect to the...
  3. I’m trying to download games before the 360 store closes, but i cant connect to Xbox Live,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I’m trying to download games before the 360 store closes, but i cant connect to Xbox Live,...: I took it over to my moms for wifi (dont have it at my apartment yet), had it hooked up through Ethernet and its passing all the tests all the way up to Xbox Live, and then failed everytime. I...
  4. Playing bo2 on xbox one using backwards compatible but cant log in or connect to 360?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Playing bo2 on xbox one using backwards compatible but cant log in or connect to 360?: Hi there I’ve been trying to play bo2 worked for a bit and then suddenly got signed out and whenever i tried signing in it says connection lost or there has been an error connecting. I’ve tried...
  5. Cant connect to 360 live from my series x to play backwards compatibility games

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cant connect to 360 live from my series x to play backwards compatibility games: Hello can someone please help me im having issues connecting to 360 live from my series x to play backwards compatibility games I've tried few games every games isn't connecting such as gears 2 or...
  6. i cant connect to xbox live while playing xbox 360 games on my xbox one

in XBoX Games and Apps
    i cant connect to xbox live while playing xbox 360 games on my xbox one: hi i cannot seem to connect to xbox live to play my xbox 360 games on my xbox one it doesnt seem to matter what i try nothing seems to work and i keep getting error code 8015190B...
  7. why cant I connect to xbox 360 live?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    why cant I connect to xbox 360 live?: for friends it tells them i’m online and as soon as i open a xbox 360 game it says i’m signed in, but i pull up the menu and it tells me to connect to live which doesn’t work?...
  8. Cant connect xbox 360 e connsel to phone app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cant connect xbox 360 e connsel to phone app: Cant conect my xbox 360 e consel to my xbox phone app om huawei nova 9 6e1c6cbd-2e38-49d7-8858-e50c45ae2055
  9. Cant Connect To Xbox Live Xbox 360 *Fixed Now*

in XBoX on Windows
    Cant Connect To Xbox Live Xbox 360 *Fixed Now*: I turned on My Xbox 360 and noticed i wasnt connected to xbox live, So i decided to sign in and it told me to sign in with my email and password, So I entered my Email And Password Like Normal,...
  10. Cant Connect To Xbox Live Xbox 360

in XBoX on Windows
    Cant Connect To Xbox Live Xbox 360: I turned on My Xbox 360 and noticed i wasnt connected to xbox live, So i decided to sign in and it told me to sign in with my email and password, So I entered my Email And Password Like Normal,...