Can't change default installation location

Discus and support Can't change default installation location in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; Since i've found multiple threads surrounding the topic of an issue where I can't change the default installation location in the Xbox app I want to... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/signalgrau, Jun 26, 2023.

1. Can't change default installation location

Since i've found multiple threads surrounding the topic of an issue where I can't change the default installation location in the Xbox app I want to present an easy solution for this. (PS my xbox app is set to german so excuse me if not all tranbslations of options that i click on are precise).

If this bug occurs, the app wont let you change the default drive if you go into "settings/general/installation options" and will flip the selection always back to the c:/ drive.

What i found out to be working is that you install a random app/game on your c:/ drive, then rightklcik that app in the "installed panel" within the xbox app, klick on "manage" then klick on the "files-tab" and then "change drive" and move the game to the desired drive.

After thats complete, you should be able to change the default location within the settings.

Hope that helps everyone running ito this issue.

submitted by /u/signalgrau
    [link] [comments]

/u/signalgrau, Jun 26, 2023
  2. {Parity} Win User

Can't change default app install location

That issue has been raised several time in the forums. Did you search the forums for possible solutions?
  3. CarTzy Win User

Why can't I change my default install location?

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Why can't I change my default install location?

Hello K33N0BR0WN,

Welcome to the Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for sharing your concern with us today, and we hope that all is well. Let me see how I can assist you with this concern.

However, in your isolated case, we’d like to know more about it in details so that we can provide a more accurate resolution for you. To start, please provide us information/answer on the following questions:

• Xbox app and Gaming services version?
      • Xbox app > select Profile picture > Settings > About.
    • Was this working before?
    • Recent activity or changes made before the issue appeared?
    • Current version and edition of Windows Installed? (Search for WINVER in Windows search to see this)
    So far, from the details you provided, you can try the following steps and let us know the result. You can just skip those you have done already.

Use the system file checker tool

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files - Microsoft Support

Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows

Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox app for Windows | Xbox Support

Create Folder path:

C:\XBox\Games (First letter depends on the drive you want to install the games)

Create a test profile

Create a local user or administrator account in Windows - Microsoft Support

Let us know the result and we will get back to you as soon as we can. We may recommend further troubleshooting steps once we have received your answers to the above questions.
  5. championdonut23 Win User

Xbox App made to change install location, causes bluescreen

I've now got control over the folder, but it still doesn't let me set it as the default install location. When I try to, it comes up with the error message 'You can't set your default install location to that folder. Try another one.'
  6. David Wirsching Win User

A game displaying Error code: (0xc06d007e). Not starting.

Thema:

Can't change default installation location

1. Can't change default installation location - Similar Threads - Can't change default

2. How to add friend keeps saying sorry can't save changes

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How to add friend keeps saying sorry can't save changes: It's been saying this for 2 hours first we were playing then he left my party all of a sudden. When I tried to add him it said sorry can't save changes. His username is potato lata...
  3. Why can't I remove my credit cards from my Microsoft account OR change my password????

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I remove my credit cards from my Microsoft account OR change my password????: I currently have three different cards that are being charged with fraudulent charges through Microsoft. Can't change my password, can't remove credit cards, and good luck trying to speak to...
  4. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  5. I bought a Xbox 360 used and can't change parental controls

in XBoX Accessibility
    I bought a Xbox 360 used and can't change parental controls: I recently bought a used Xbox 360 and when I was exploring it, went into the "Family" tab, it asked me for a code, I didn't know it, it asked me a secret question, I don't know it, now some...
  6. I changed my age, and can't do features I use to have.

in XBoX Accessibility
    I changed my age, and can't do features I use to have.: I changed my age which was orginally over 18, and changed it under, and now I can't access some features I use to be able to access, like custom profile pictures. I thought nothing bad would...
  7. I can't change my minecraft username.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I can't change my minecraft username.: I enter the launcher, then press "Manage Minecraft: Java Edition profile". ´When I enter the site, I'm logged into the account connected to the email my minecraft account is connected to. For some...
  8. Can't download EA app, have changed out of S mode but it keeps crashing & coming up with...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can't download EA app, have changed out of S mode but it keeps crashing & coming up with...: I have acer aspire 3 laptop 5b31e84c-0fe8-43c3-9772-b5fb3577c8ed
  9. I can't change my gamertag

in XBoX Accessibility
    I can't change my gamertag: I tried to change my gamertag but when I get in a game It is the same name I had before 212f779c-1e4d-4faf-9c99-230f501ebb1b
  10. i can't change accounts it just defaults back to the previous account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    i can't change accounts it just defaults back to the previous account.: it just defaults back to the previous account I say not me, and it signs into the account anyways. I cleared the data for the app multiple times, I removed my device from the account no matter...