Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows

Discus and support Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Had to open a new thread since the last one was closed too quickly. I recently added a new boot drive to my computer and did a clean install of... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Dalz-[xboxvenue], Jul 12, 2023.

1. Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows

Had to open a new thread since the last one was closed too quickly.

I recently added a new boot drive to my computer and did a clean install of Windows 11. However, ever since, the Xbox app no longer allows me to change the install location for games. I can select the drive on the dropdown list, but it instantly reverts back to C and games will only install there. On the old drive and past two computers, that was never a problem - pick the default drive and you're good to go.

After several months working with both the Xbox and Windows support teams, we found no solution. They suggested I reformat and try again, but I'm hoping someone in the community might have some insight or thought on what might be causing this before I do that again. I did a repair install of Windows. I've uninstalled the app and reinstalled, same with the Store app. I've cleared the store cache, I've removed the gaming services and reinstalled, I've removed the Store entries from the registry and let it re-generate them. I even manually set myself as owner of the drive and folders under the permissions. I've created a separate admin user account and tried there. Probably a few other things that I'm not thinking of, as well. (It's been a long haul.)

Nothing has resolved the issue. The only thing I did differently on this new Windows install was to not do an online/logged in install - I wanted to be able to name my user folder rather than let Windows set it for me. That shouldn't have any impact, but it's the only thing different from the previous install other than the drive itself - old one was a Samsung 980 Pro and the new one is a 990 Pro. (Firmware is up to date, as are all drivers, BIOS, chipset, Windows, etc.)

Anyone have any idea what could cause this?

----------------------

In response to @CarTzy:

I've actually submitted a recording via feedback but never heard back. Not sure if they ever respond to those or not.

Is there anything that can be done to help escalate the issue where I could get some help in resolving it? Possibly from a higher tier? I know this is more complicated than a typical support issue.

:)

Dalz-[xboxvenue], Jul 12, 2023
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema:

Cannot set any drive other than C: for default install location in the Xbox app for Windows