Cannot play any Xbox Original games. Previous fix suggestions haven't worked.

Discus and support Cannot play any Xbox Original games. Previous fix suggestions haven't worked. in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I read through the stickied post regarding playing original Xbox titles, and tried every suggestion that I could. I have cleared the system cache,... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by JoshWallace, Apr 13, 2016.

1. JoshWallace
    JoshWallace Guest

I read through the stickied post regarding playing original Xbox titles, and tried every suggestion that I could. I have cleared the system cache, reinstalled the system update, etc.
    I have also confirmed that my games work on an original Xbox and that they are on the Backwards Compatibility list. All discs are in very good condition, minus one that isn't the best, but still plays on an original Xbox just fine.

The games are as follows:

Shenmue II

Jade Empire

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (1 & 2)

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Fatal Frame II

Jet Set Radio Future

XIII

They are all disc versions, not downloadables. When I insert the disc into my Xbox 360, the dashboard recognizes the game (e.g. "Play Jet Set Radio Future"). However, when I try to play it, the screen fades to black as if it is about to start, then almost
    immediately gives me the error message, "The game couldn't start. Try downloading the game again. For more help, visit www.xbox.com/support."

I own an Xbox 360 S model with a 500GB HDD, which replaced the original HDD about two years ago. (The replacement HDD was a new-in-box official Xbox brand HDD, if that matters.) I am connected to Xbox Live Gold and have installed all system
    updates.

I recently purchased these games on the assumption that they would play on my 360, but I have not gotten them to work on my console all week. I tested them on an original Xbox (all work), but I do not have another Xbox 360 readily available with which to
    test them.

Please let me know what I'm missing here.

:)

JoshWallace, Apr 13, 2016
  2. Mike Acord
    Mike Acord Guest
    Error 4467-0000-3080-050C-D000-0185

I have a very similar error and cannot play any games. Any suggestions or fixes???

Mike Acord, Apr 13, 2016
  3. TheresaZZ
    TheresaZZ Guest
    how do I fix if my console is not connected to xbox live?

my son cannot play any of his games on his xbox. it says that his console is not connected to xbox live. does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

TheresaZZ, Apr 13, 2016
  4. JoshWallace
    JoshWallace Guest

Just posting an update because I have seen multiple threads where the validity of the hard drive was the issue. I want to clarify that I purchased by replacement hard drive from Gamestop, and it was an official Microsoft-branded HDD, not a knock-off or third-party.
    The HDD has "XBOX 360" on the top of its black case, like so:
    www.gamestop.com/.../116104

To my knowledge, Gamestop doesn't even carry any knockoffs, so it's a legitimate Microsoft drive. I used the Xbox brand HDD transfer tool to move my data from the original HDD to the new one and haven't had any issues to date. However, I've never tried playing
    original Xbox games on this console that I remember, so I can't confirm that they definitely worked on my last hard drive, either. This is my first time trying to play original Xbox titles since owning my Xbox 360 FAT roughly seven years ago.

Anyway, anybody have any ideas?

JoshWallace, Apr 13, 2016
  5. johnhuckabay
    johnhuckabay Guest
    I am having the same exact issue.

johnhuckabay, Apr 13, 2016
  6. johnhuckabay
    johnhuckabay Guest
    also the xbox support chat was 4 hours of unhelpfulness

7. johnhuckabay
    johnhuckabay Guest
    sorry so many posts but I have hard disc for the game (jade empire) and I bought on xbox live neither will work

8. Smwutches
    Smwutches Guest

Keep in mind that the 500gb hard drives were not available until August of 2014. So if it's possible to check exactly when it was purchased, that would narrow down if it definitely is real or not. Even though Gamestop doesn't generally sell knock-offs, it's
    not entirely impossible to not get one from them depending on if someone had possible returned one and swapped it out or something.

Other than that, it just sounds like the hard drive does not have the emulation software needed. That can happen sometimes if it's been reformatted. Usually a way to check is by trying another game, but since you've tried several already, the only other
    thing I can suggest is to try another hard drive if possible.

@johnhuckabay - If you can post what console and hard drive you have, it might help as well.

Smwutches, Apr 13, 2016
  9. Irixion
    Irixion Guest
    Your console has to be connected to Live, and you must be signed in. Once you boot your game, it'll check to see if there's an emulation profile available for download. These are all separate from dashboard updates, and cannot be downloaded independently.
    Counterfeit HDDs are a common, although not the only reason why games refuse to boot.

Irixion, Nov 2, 2018
  10. johnhuckabay Win User

sorry so many posts but I have hard disc for the game (jade empire) and I bought on xbox live neither will work
  11. JoshWallace Win User

Just posting an update because I have seen multiple threads where the validity of the hard drive was the issue. I want to clarify that I purchased by replacement hard drive from Gamestop, and it was an official Microsoft-branded HDD, not a knock-off or third-party.
    The HDD has "XBOX 360" on the top of its black case, like so:
    www.gamestop.com/.../116104

To my knowledge, Gamestop doesn't even carry any knockoffs, so it's a legitimate Microsoft drive. I used the Xbox brand HDD transfer tool to move my data from the original HDD to the new one and haven't had any issues to date. However, I've never tried playing
    original Xbox games on this console that I remember, so I can't confirm that they definitely worked on my last hard drive, either. This is my first time trying to play original Xbox titles since owning my Xbox 360 FAT roughly seven years ago.

Anyway, anybody have any ideas?
  12. Irixion Win User

Your console has to be connected to Live, and you must be signed in. Once you boot your game, it'll check to see if there's an emulation profile available for download. These are all separate from dashboard updates, and cannot be downloaded independently.
    Counterfeit HDDs are a common, although not the only reason why games refuse to boot.
  13. johnhuckabay Win User

also the xbox support chat was 4 hours of unhelpfulness
  14. Smwutches Win User

Keep in mind that the 500gb hard drives were not available until August of 2014. So if it's possible to check exactly when it was purchased, that would narrow down if it definitely is real or not. Even though Gamestop doesn't generally sell knock-offs, it's
    not entirely impossible to not get one from them depending on if someone had possible returned one and swapped it out or something.

Other than that, it just sounds like the hard drive does not have the emulation software needed. That can happen sometimes if it's been reformatted. Usually a way to check is by trying another game, but since you've tried several already, the only other
    thing I can suggest is to try another hard drive if possible.

@johnhuckabay - If you can post what console and hard drive you have, it might help as well.
Thema:

1. Cannot play any Xbox Original games. Previous fix suggestions haven't worked. - Similar Threads - Cannot play Original

2. For some reason i cannot log into xbox live while playing asphalt 9

in XBoX on Consoles
    For some reason i cannot log into xbox live while playing asphalt 9: It's really odd and annoying. I tried to start the game multiple times, no effect. b876c8e4-474e-4548-b6fa-508a33081dcc
  3. My screen is black and i cannot play any games all it says is welcome and then it goes...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My screen is black and i cannot play any games all it says is welcome and then it goes...: I cannot play any games cus my xbox goes fullly black after starting it it is ig called the screen of death or sum all it says is welcome then goes dim. Help. 112872b3-9401-437b-bc00-910087e4b0bd
  4. I am getting an error code Dev error 12502 I cannot play multiplayer game off-line. It will...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am getting an error code Dev error 12502 I cannot play multiplayer game off-line. It will...: After season three download, I cannot play multiplayer off-line. I keep on getting the air I can play. Campaign game off-line. I cannot get this issue resolved. ce617d6b-1b50-4280-895e-816e235cad4b
  5. Left Insiders (Delta) on my Xbox and now cannot play games

in XboX Insiders
    Left Insiders (Delta) on my Xbox and now cannot play games: I decided to withdraw my console from the Insiders Delta ring yesterday. I used the Insiders Hub on Xbox, chose to have my console leave. Exited the hub, five minutes or so later, my console...
  6. hey i have a question what does it mean when it says "one or two more accounts cannot play...

in XBoX on Windows
    hey i have a question what does it mean when it says "one or two more accounts cannot play...: i used xbox360 minecraft to play PvP and the popup appers:"one or two more accounts cannot play multiplayer games." i really want to try online pvp PLZ HELP!!!11 3a93bd93-ff87-4354-b8c9-e68abc026d0a
  7. I cannot sign into Gamebar or the Xbox app (code 0x80004005), but I can play online xbox...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I cannot sign into Gamebar or the Xbox app (code 0x80004005), but I can play online xbox...: I think I'm stuck in some kind of sign-in limbo where I'm logged in enough to play game like Sea of Thieves (which requires you to be signed in), but not when it comes to the Xbox social options....
  8. Hello, I own an Xbox Series S. I cannot install it from my phone. Remote play is on, but I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hello, I own an Xbox Series S. I cannot install it from my phone. Remote play is on, but I...: Hello, I logged in to my Microsoft account from the Xbox application, then I clicked on the console section and it asked me to define it. I said to install it first. I got the TV code, but the...
  9. I cannot play Live with Gold games without an active subscription now?

in XboX Insiders
    I cannot play Live with Gold games without an active subscription now?: Today I tried to play one of my games from Live with Gold to discover that I cannot play it anymore, and I remember that even if I don't have Live with Gold or Game Pass Ultimate active...
  10. I regularly play with a person on Fortnite. I see when they play but they cannot see when...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I regularly play with a person on Fortnite. I see when they play but they cannot see when...: I regularly play with a person on Fortnite. I see when they play but they cannot see when I’m on. I have them on my list but it still says “add friend”. I can’t add them on Xbox or epic. When I...