Cannot connect to the internet - enable UPnP

Discus and support Cannot connect to the internet - enable UPnP in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Huawei B535 router on the 3 mobile network. I've connected my Xbox Series X to it since it was released. 4 days ago I got a message... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Emma Holmes, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Emma Holmes
    Emma Holmes Guest

Hello,

I have a Huawei B535 router on the 3 mobile network.

I've connected my Xbox Series X to it since it was released.

4 days ago I got a message telling me I cannot connect. I restarted my router and reset my Xbox. It connects to the internet as such, because it needed it to get me back on to my profile on the Xbox.

I get an error message when I try to access the internet on that profile, telling me I need to enable UPnP settings.

I've been in to my router and found the "settings" but it doesn't tell me what they are and I can't change anything (same for NAT, DMZ etc).

It simply has a blank page stating:

UPnP Settings

The Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) service allows intelligent connection between two UPnP devices using port forwarding. UPnP devices can obtain IP addresses automatically and access the Internet dynamically.

Some features are unavailable in CLAT mode.

I haven't been successful in getting help. Router and ISP blame each other as usual.

Any ideas please? In layman's terms too if possible. I'm not overly great with technology!

Everything else connects to the router, and my Xbox runs off my mobile hotspot just fine (but consumes so much data it's not a permanent solution)

Thank you for your help!

:)

Emma Holmes, Nov 1, 2023
  2. David Wirsching Win User

Hello Emma H, My name is David. I am an independent advisor, happy to help you today.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble connecting your Xbox Series X, here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

1. Firstly, make sure that your router supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play). Based on the information you provided about your Huawei B535 router, it should support UPnP. However, it's worth double-checking the router's user manual or contacting the manufacturer to confirm.

2. Try to enable UPnP, you'll need to access your router's settings. Typically, you can do this by typing the router's IP address (such as *********** or ***********) into a web browser on a device connected to the same network as the router. You may need to enter a username and password to log in to the router's administration interface. Check the router's documentation or contact the manufacturer if you're unsure of the login details.

3. Once you're logged in to the router's administration interface, look for the UPnP settings. It might be located under a "Advanced Settings" or "Network" section. Enable UPnP if it's not already enabled. The specific steps may vary depending on the router model and firmware version. If you're unable to find the UPnP settings, consult the router's user manual or reach out to the manufacturer for guidance.

4. After enabling UPnP, restart both your router and Xbox console. Power off the router, wait for a few seconds, and then power it back on. Similarly, fully shut down your Xbox console, wait for a moment, and then power it on again. This can help refresh the network connections and apply the changes you made.

5. Once both the router and Xbox are back online, try connecting your Xbox to the internet again and see if the UPnP error message persists. If the issue persists, proceed to the next steps.

6. If enabling UPnP doesn't resolve the problem, you can try assigning a static IP address to your Xbox. Within your router's settings, look for an option to configure DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) or IP address settings. Set up a static IP address for your Xbox, ensuring it's within the range of your router's subnet. Additionally, note the IP address of your router's gateway (usually the router's IP address itself) as you'll need it in the next step.

7. With the static IP address of your Xbox, you can manually set up port forwarding on your router. Port forwarding allows specific ports to be opened and directed to your Xbox, improving connectivity for certain services and games. Look for the port forwarding settings within your router's administration interface. Configure it to forward the necessary Xbox Live ports to your Xbox's static IP address. You may need to consult Xbox support documentation or forums for the specific ports required.

8. After configuring port forwarding, restart your router and Xbox once more. Then, test the connection to see if the UPnP error message is resolved and if your Xbox can connect to the internet and Xbox Live services.

If these steps don't resolve the issue, it's recommended to reach out to Huawei support or your ISP's technical support for further assistance.

Best regards.
  3. David Wirsching Win User

It is a pleasure to help, I regret not having been able to delve deeper into the topic, I hope you have a quick resolution to this problem, have a happy day, remember that we are here to help, if you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
  4. David Wirsching Win User

Yes, you will most likely have to change your router to see if this solves the problem since it seems to be a compatibility problem. I still do not rule out the recommendation that you try to consult with your internet service provider to check what possible solutions they could give us. contribute to the case.
  5. Emma Holmes Win User

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

As stated, I can find these "settings" but there's no way to see what the settings are for any of the security settings (please see attached photo). No option to toggle them or even see if it's on or off. Most settings are like this so cannot be changed.

Huawei blame the ISP and vice versa. Is UPnP a new requirement for Xbox? I wonder why it's been working smoothly for years then suddenly gives me this error!?

[​IMG]
  6. Emma Holmes Win User

Thank you,

I will ask to speak to someone with more dedicated knowledge to the subject.

I'm probably due a new router. It's odd that it doesn't specify the current settings, even though I can't change them!

I appreciate your fast response 😊
Thema:

1. Cannot connect to the internet - enable UPnP - Similar Threads - Cannot connect internet

2. I can’t figure out why I cannot connect to parties or games even when my internet is connected.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I can’t figure out why I cannot connect to parties or games even when my internet is connected.: About 2 weeks ago I all of a sudden could not join parties, or even connect to online games. When I go to network settings it says I am connected, and that my NAT type is open, but when I join a...
  3. X-Box Series S Cannot connect to internet in china

in XBoX on Consoles
    X-Box Series S Cannot connect to internet in china: Hi, I live in mainland china and just brought a Xbox series s over from Australia and it doesn’t connect to the internet. Because of this I can’t play any online games update games or get new...
  4. I cannot get my Xbox to connect to my internet, could it be my router? My internet service...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I cannot get my Xbox to connect to my internet, could it be my router? My internet service...: I have an old Xbox that couldn't connect so I bought the Xbox X and that wouldn't connect either. I've tried restarting, unplugging for 60 seconds, every troubleshooting option there is and...
  5. How do I fix this if nothing in my house connected to internet cannot load anything...

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do I fix this if nothing in my house connected to internet cannot load anything...: It started as my Microsoft store on my Xbox wouldn’t work so I did a few things to try and fix it and finally I reset it and then I couldn’t put account back on my Xbox it would just get stuck...
  6. My Xbox Series X|S cannot connect to the internet with error code: 0x00000000002000000

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox Series X|S cannot connect to the internet with error code: 0x00000000002000000: I have: -reset the MAC addresses -attempted to use an Ethernet cable to hardwire connection (this allowed me to only access my Xbox account not play any games). -reset the Xbox while keeping...
  7. Failing to Update and cannot connect to the internet.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Failing to Update and cannot connect to the internet.: My 6(?) Year-old Xbox 1 S tried to update, then promptly failed. It stopped at 23% twice before the update action was unavailable. Like, I can't even attempt an update anymore. Going to the...
  8. Cannot connect to internet.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot connect to internet.: Wireless address appears on the list when attempting to connect but won’t. When I try hard wired, it doesn’t work either. This is not an ISP issue. I’ve spent hours talking to Verizon....
  9. I have internet and am connected. I cannot connect to the xbox servers this evening.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have internet and am connected. I cannot connect to the xbox servers this evening.: I have been playing on my xbox X for years, and for some reason today when I tried to log in my xbox to play madden 23 online, it says "there is a temporary service issue." I tried it on 2 xboxes...
  10. Xbox 360 can connect to the internet, but cannot connect to Xbox live

in XBoX Accessibility
    Xbox 360 can connect to the internet, but cannot connect to Xbox live: Hello, Recently, after years of using my Xbox 360 to watch Netflix, my 360 now says it is unable to connect to Xbox Live. Running the troubleshooting test shows that while the Xbox is...