Cannot cancel update only pause

Discus and support Cannot cancel update only pause in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have pretty slow internet 256k and would like to update one of my newer games, so I started the update then turned my xbox off, when I get on about... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mccoyn1990, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Mccoyn1990
    Mccoyn1990 Guest

I have pretty slow internet 256k and would like to update one of my newer games, so I started the update then turned my xbox off, when I get on about 2hrs later I have 4 other games trying to update, all are sitting between 1-5% and the game I wanted to
    update is at 52%, I would like to know how to cancel all these other updates, because my only current options are to pause the update or delete the game.

Any help with this would be appreciated

:)

Mccoyn1990, Dec 15, 2014
  2. Cancel GTA V DLC installation to play campaign offline?

Was unable to edit OP. Update: Had unexplained connection issues before (console only, network was fine), but can now connect to my wireless network. The DLC seems to be downloading, but I'd rather go without for now. Now I can pause/resume the download,
    but the cancel option doesn't appear as shown here:
    support.xbox.com/.../pause-stop-download
    ... Is there still a way to cancel a DLC download?

MC Puffadutch, Dec 15, 2014
  3. My installation wont cancel or install

I tried to pause all my installations so i can install an update, but my install didnt pause or continue its just stuck saying its installing. I try to cancel,uninstall,and pause but nothing works. I cant play anything because everything needs an update
    that i cant install.

KingFyerfly24, Dec 15, 2014
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

I don't believe there is an option to cancel the updates. Just leave them paused until you want to update them again.

As for the game that you do want to update try leaving the console on when you are not using your internet (eg. overnight) for a faster update experience.

onyxishere, Dec 16, 2014
  5. onyxishere Win User

I don't believe there is an option to cancel the updates. Just leave them paused until you want to update them again.

As for the game that you do want to update try leaving the console on when you are not using your internet (eg. overnight) for a faster update experience.
  6. Emanuellin Win User

Help

Please make sure that you don't cancel any updates that are running.

Doing this will delete the whole game.
    I never canceled the update. I only paused it.
  7. Paraffin Alien Win User

Update/cancel game uninstall

Never cancel an update, only ever pause it.
    Cancelling it results in the entire game being deleted, thus requiring a complete new download of the whole game again.
  8. ACDH Win User

Why can't I keep Halo MCC on my console!

If I cancel an update, it just removes the game! -- WHY?!

I just re-downloaded the MCC again. Lo and behold it wanted another 55GB after that. I cancelled the update (because the next system update will do it anyway if paused) and I don't have enough cap data to continue after
    downloading the game. -- It wiped the lot, again! WHY?!

Before it was added to Game Pass, I could cancel an update and it didn't wipe the entire product ftom my system. -- What possible reason is there that this is even happening!

I'm sorry that this is happening. But this is by design and not a bug. When you cancel a game that is in the process of updating it can cause the data to be corrupted. It then removes the corrupted data that remained when only part of the update was applied
    (the game will only work with all the changes or none of them, so interrupting the update results in an unplayable game). In the future, just pause the update - don't cancel or you'll have to go through this again.

I am on a monthly data cap and cannot afford to keep re-downloading 116GB. -- for that matter, WHY do updates on XBOX not inform you of their size BEFORE choosing whether to start them, in the first place?

Sadly there is not way to see the size of an update before downloading. Though starting the download will allow you to see the size of the download on the progress bar. If its to big, you can pause the update and finish it at another time.
  9. XBF Brad A Win User

New update for games

Hello Arash,

Thanks for coming to the forums. We understand have a question on updates. Are you pausing or cancelling the update at all? If you cancel and try and update later, this will uninstall the game to prevent corruption. Also if updating and it continuously stops
    or pauses it can reinstall the complete game.

Hope this helps.

Brad
Thema:

1. Cannot cancel update only pause - Similar Threads - Cannot cancel update

2. My service order was cancelled. How can I contact Microsoft as I cannot find contact...

in XBoX on Windows
    My service order was cancelled. How can I contact Microsoft as I cannot find contact...: My service order was cancelled. I sent off my new Xbox controller due to a faulty and sent it within 30 days. I am trying to contact Microsoft to find out why they have cancelled my order as there...
  3. Why i cannot cancel my download in Xbox App (Windows 11)?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why i cannot cancel my download in Xbox App (Windows 11)?: i try to pre-install Payday 3, and the download show error at 7% so i try to redownload it. but when i try to redownload it, it start at 7% and stuck at 0 b/s and cannot be canceled. i already try...
  4. xbox app stuck, cannot finish, pause or cancel game download and installation

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox app stuck, cannot finish, pause or cancel game download and installation: I was attempting to download a game, Wolfenstein: the new order, when my PC crashed, causing me to use a system restore point. after windows was restored I turned on the xbox app to restart the...
  5. I cannot cancel my XBOX subscription

in XBoX Accessibility
    I cannot cancel my XBOX subscription: Hi. I'm trying to cancel my XBOX subscription. When I go to my accounts page and click on "Manage" I get this error: Sorry, something went wrong. We’re not sure what happened, but refreshing...
  6. Tried to install Stardew Valley, download is stuck at 2%, cannot resume or cancel, and...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Tried to install Stardew Valley, download is stuck at 2%, cannot resume or cancel, and...: I dont know what to do anymore. Yes i have restarted. I have terminated and repaired. At my installation queue, it perpetually says it is checking for updates. My computer was just updated and...
  7. Ori and the Will of the Wisps stuck at 0%, cannot cancel.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Ori and the Will of the Wisps stuck at 0%, cannot cancel.: I am on PC, windows 11, using the Xbox app with Gamepass Ultimate. For a while I've had an issue where three game did not install correctly, Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, and Dead Cells. The...
  8. xbox app on PC - Cannot install or uninstall games or cancel them

in XBoX Games and Apps
    xbox app on PC - Cannot install or uninstall games or cancel them: ive tried installing windwos 11 and going back to windows 10 now back to windows 11 reset and repairing the xbox app getx-apppackage removing gaming services xbox insider hub all this and i...
  9. Xbox Game pass download stuck and cannot be cancelled

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Game pass download stuck and cannot be cancelled: I was trying to download Darkest Dungeon PC on gamepass and its been stuck since yesterday at 1%, 0B/s download. When I try cancelling it that also gets stuck and never stops it. I have tried...
  10. Cannot resume or cancel download (Xbox Gamepass PC)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot resume or cancel download (Xbox Gamepass PC): Trying to download Just Cause 4: Reloaded. Noticed it was stuck at 0% when trying to resume or cancel the installation it would be stuck in the queue or perpetually canceling. Already tried most...