Can you use a GFWL ISO without getting banned?

Discus and support Can you use a GFWL ISO without getting banned? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello, Recently I picked up a few GFWL discs, batman batman asylum and arkham city to be exact. However, my main pc does not have a cd drive and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Juwapa, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Juwapa
    Juwapa Guest

Hello,

Recently I picked up a few GFWL discs, batman batman asylum and arkham city to be exact. However, my main pc does not have a cd drive and before I went and bought an external one I wanted to ask if it is possible to play GFWL games through ISOs. I have a
    laptop with a perfectly good cd drive, so I figured I could simply create an ISO of the games on my laptop, and move them over to my pc to play. As far as I'm aware, its perfectly legal to make backups of games and other discs you own and I do have working
    product keys for them since they are brand new copies. I was just curious if playing a backed up ISO version of a game would pop up to Microsoft as a pirated, suspicious, or an illegal version (even with a legit brand new product key) and possibly result in
    getting banned, which is something I would obviously would not want to happen.

TLDR: Is it safe and legal to make and play an ISO of a GFWL disc you own, without getting banned for piracy?

:)

Juwapa, Mar 7, 2020
  2. Juwapa Win User

What is the point of being an Xbox Ambassador if you are absolutely clueless and talk without first-hand experience?

GFWL is NOT dead. Stop spreading false information! Soon as you see someone say GFWL is
    dead, immediately disregard everything they have to say about this subject.

GFWL was NOT shut down in July 2014. That was just a silly rumor. The service is still perfectly active, product keys are still accepted and you can connect to LIVE as always and play GFWL titles online, even on Windows 10 to this day.

As for the main topic question, there is no such thing as getting banned for piracy on PC. Nobody can possibly know how you get your games, what you do to your games and how play your games, but you. You can do anything you want perfectly fine on PC.
    Thank you for the first real answer :)

I understand xbox ambassadors can't know absolutely everything there is to know regarding xbox and gaming and I'm very appreciative that they take time out of their day to help people as much as they can, but i agree with you, if they aren't 100% sure about
    a certain topic, they shouldn't comment on it and just leave it for someone else. As far as i was aware, the GFWL store was essentially killed, but I know for a fact the service was not as you can still play your games, earn achievements, and even play multiplayer
    on some of these games. Thank you for finally giving me an answer to my original question 😂 and I just want to make it completely clear, I'm personally not pirating nor would i ever publicly out myself like this for doing so 😂😂 As far as I'm aware, it is
    100% legal to backup physical games/programs/music etc. that you own. My only concern was if Microsoft would be able to tell if it were a backup but not be able to tell if it were an actual "legit" or "pirated" copy. But I'm assuming, especially if I'm using
    the legit key that came with the game, Microsoft would have no way to tell or even check the actual game/files that I'm playing. Thank you everyone for the quick responses, even if they weren't exactly helpful or correct. 🙃
  3. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Rule of the thumb: if you are not sure about it, don't do it.
  4. T3chnlgydude Win User

Thanks for sharing the information Obsessive Power

Save me from Googling and researching

Nicely packed into a short and clear message :)
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

. But in order to earn achievements, it has to conenct to some sort of Microsoft server correct? My concern is if I earn achievements in a backup of the game via an ISO copy, would Microsoft see that as a pirated copy? I dont want to get banned for earning
    achievements in a "pirated game", I'm just unsure if Microsoft specifically has any rules about using ISO backups and i can't seem to find anything elsewhere online about this subject.
    You can't earn achievements for these games anymore as these games can not connect to Live. You can only play these games offline.

That's why the GOG.com version of Fallout 3 has no GFWL functionality, the box for Live is greyed out. The Batman games sold on Steam have Steam achievements now.
  6. [Farscape] Win User

depends on the country, some countries allow the creation of a backup as long as you own the original, and that copy should be destroyed if you get rid of the original.

You would need to check your local laws.

And as they are games for windows live, they wont connect to anything that im aware of as that system is long gone.
Thema:

1. Can you use a GFWL ISO without getting banned? - Similar Threads - GFWL ISO without

2. I’m having difficulties playing Gears of War GFWL on Windows 10. Please help!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I’m having difficulties playing Gears of War GFWL on Windows 10. Please help!: Hello, recently I found my old copy of Gears of War 1 for the PC. Back when Games for Windows Live was around. I was happy to find my old copy placed in that big box that PC games disks use to be...
  3. Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Made account when it was still GFWL, recently returned and don't know how to log into it.: I first made a windows account a long time ago when it was still Games For Windows Live. I have not since had to use a microsoft gaming service since it transitioned to Xbox. I logged in to Xbox...
  4. How many times can a GFWL Key Be Redeemed.

in XBoX on Windows
    How many times can a GFWL Key Be Redeemed.: Hello. The reason I’m asking this question because soon I’m gonna buy a used game that need a GFWL key. Is there an activation limit or no? Different sites keeps giving me different thing so I...
  5. Have the GFWL servers finally been shutdown ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Have the GFWL servers finally been shutdown ?: As the title, a month or so ago i played gta iv complete (retail dvd) to find a few flying rats, i signed into my gfwl profile and it worked fine today i felt like a game of it and find a few...
  6. GFWL

in XBoX on Windows
    GFWL: Recently I bought a game on steam, and it said I needed a DLL file or something. I looked it up and all the fixes which I saw were all using gfwl, so I tried to download it. But every time I...
  7. Games for Windows Live (GFWL) installation fails on Windows 10

in XBoX on Windows
    Games for Windows Live (GFWL) installation fails on Windows 10: Games for Windows Live (GFWL) installation fails on Windows 10. Some older games still require this to be installed. The installer under this link points to an online installer. Is there an...
  8. GFWL unable to login

in XBoX on Windows
    GFWL unable to login: I have Batman: Arkham Asylum - GOTY on disc that I use to play. Recently I decided to play it again but I have a problem. When I start up the game I get prompted the LIVE login and I see my old...
  9. Problem Virtua Tennis 4 and GFWL - error 0x80004005

in XBoX on Windows
    Problem Virtua Tennis 4 and GFWL - error 0x80004005: A few months ago I was able to play Virtua Tennis 4 online on GFWL, now it asks me to download an update, but it doesn't actually download anything. It gives me an error ... what to do?...
  10. GFWL Link

in XBoX on Windows
    GFWL Link: Everytime i click the GFWL installer link it takes me to a page that says it may be a new link. I havent seen any links posted or updated... I just wanna play Fable 3 :(...