Can you move Gamertag from 1 microsoft account to another?

Discus and support Can you move Gamertag from 1 microsoft account to another? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; When my son first started playing XBox I set up a Microsoft account for him, and he's been using that with his Gamertag for a few years. E.g. this is... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by Cleevemoor, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Cleevemoor
    Cleevemoor Guest

When my son first started playing XBox I set up a Microsoft account for him, and he's been using that with his Gamertag for a few years. E.g. this is with email: "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***"

A year ago, he set up a new Microsoft account for his email and to access Windows etc. E.g this is with "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***"

Therefore he now has two separate microsoft accounts - 'Bloggsy' with his Xbox gamertag and Joe.Bloggs for everything else (e.g email, windows, onedrive etc...)

He wants to consolidate everything, so that he no-longer has "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***" and for his Xbox profile / Gamertag to be associated with his newer (more grown up) account "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***".

When I've tried to add "*** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. ***" to his 'Bloggsy' account it says this email address already has a profile...

Is it not possible to transfer his Gamertag (and associated detail such as game play, friends, progress) to his newer Microsoft account? If not, then he'll forever have two separate Microsoft accounts, which seems ridiculous.

Thanks for you help.

[Note: email addresses above are made up for illustrative purposes to explain my issue]

:)

Cleevemoor, Dec 14, 2020
  2. HyruleBalverine Win User

Can't change XBL Email

If you want to move the existing profile (Let's call that A), you will have to move the profile associated with the e-mail you want (let's call it B) to another e-mail (let's call that C) so that the current one (A) gets moved to e-mail B.

•If you try to switch your Xbox LIVE gamertag (or Xbox Music tag) from one Microsoft account to a different Microsoft account that's already linked to another Xbox LIVE gamertag, you'll get the following error message:

The Microsoft account (or Windows Live ID) you’re switching to is already linked to another Xbox account.

Before you can switch your gamertag in this case, you must first remove the existing gamertag from the Microsoft account you want to use. Here's how:

1.Consider the following scenario:

◦Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.

In this scenario, your gamertag is Gamertag B, and you want to move it to Microsoft account 1.

2.At accounts.live.com, create a new Microsoft account. You'll only need this account as a temporary means of moving your gamertags.

Example:

◦Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 3 is free.

3.Switch the gamertag that's linked to the Microsoft account that you want to use to the Microsoft account that you created in Step 3.

Example:

◦Microsoft account 1 is now free.

◦Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 2.

◦Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 3.

4.Switch your gamertag to the Microsoft account that you want to use.

Example:

◦Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 2 is now free.

◦Gamertag A remains linked to Microsoft account 3.

5.To complete the switch of gamertags between the two original Microsoft accounts, you must wait 30 days. After 30 days, switch Gamertag A from Microsoft account 3 to Microsoft account 2.

Example:

◦Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 2.

◦Microsoft account 3 is now free.

6.Cancel the Microsoft account that you created in step 2.

Example:

◦Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 3 is cancelled.

•When you change your Microsoft account, your Microsoft Points are automatically transferred to the new Microsoft account.

•You can move a gamertag to a different Microsoft account only once every 30 days.

◦This includes new gamertags downloaded from Xbox LIVE.

◦If you try to move a gamertag before 30 days have passed since the last time you moved it, you’ll get the following error message:

Sorry, we can't change your Microsoft account right now.
  3. WPAK Win User

transfering from 1 microsoft account to another

Hi there,

-

Like x24hrs2livex mentions, you can not merge accounts, you will have to start everything from scratch.

Gamerscore, saved games, gamertag, purchases can not be moved.

If your goal was to move that xbox live account connected to your fathers email address to your own address, you should have used the steps on this link:

support.xbox.com/.../switch-gamertag-to-different-microsoft-account
    these steps will move a xbox live account from one email (Microsoft Account) to another.

-

You can still do this, but you will first need to move the newly created xbox live account to another Microsoft Account to free up your email address. (See the Notes part on that link)
  4. MB5656 Win User

Can't change Microsoft Account

Sign in using your Xbox Live gamertag.

Go to settings and select Account.

picture

Scroll right to Your Information and select Account Security.

Select Microsoft account (Your Windows Live ID is your Microsoft account.)

Do one of the following:

If you already have another Microsoft account, select Yes.

If you don't have another Microsoft account, go to accounts.live.com and click Sign up. After you have another Microsoft account set up, select Yes and continue with the next step.

Enter the password for the Microsoft account that is currently associated with your gamertag and select Sign in.

Enter the email address and the password for the new Microsoft account that you want to associate with your gamertag, and then select Sign in.

Select Yes, change to change the Microsoft account associated with your Xbox Live account.

Select Update Contact Information to update your contact information or Done to finish.

Notes

If you try to switch your Xbox Live gamertag (or Xbox Music tag) from one Microsoft account to a different Microsoft account that's already linked to another Xbox Live gamertag, you'll get the following error message:

The Microsoft account (or Windows Live ID) you’re switching to is already linked to another Xbox account.

Before you can switch your gamertag in this case, you must first remove the existing gamertag from the Microsoft account you want to use. Here's how:

Consider the following scenario:

Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.

Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.

In this scenario, your gamertag is Gamertag B, and you want to move it to Microsoft account 1.

At accounts.live.com, create a new Microsoft account. You'll only need this account as a temporary means of moving your gamertags.

Example:

Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.

Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.

Microsoft account 3 is free.

Switch the gamertag that's linked to the Microsoft account you want to use to the Microsoft account that you created in Step 3.

Example:

Microsoft account 1 is now free.

Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 2.

Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 3.

Switch your gamertag to the Microsoft account that you want to use.

Example:

Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

Microsoft account 2 is now free.

Gamertag A remains linked to Microsoft account 3.

To complete the switch of gamertags between the two original Microsoft accounts, you must wait 30 days. After 30 days, switch Gamertag A from Microsoft account 3 to Microsoft account 2.

Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 1.

Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 2.

Microsoft account 3 is now free.

Cancel the Microsoft account that you created in step 2.

Example:

Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

Gamertag A remains linked to Microsoft account 3.

Microsoft account 3 is cancelled.

When you change to a new Microsoft account, the current funds in your original Microsoft account do not transfer to your new Microsoft account.

You can move a gamertag to a different Microsoft account only once every 30 days.

This includes new gamertags downloaded from Xbox Live.

If you try to move a gamertag before 30 days have passed since the last time you moved it, you’ll get the following error message:

To change the Microsoft account associated with a child account, you must provide the Microsoft account information for the adult account that has parental control.

You can choose to require input of your Microsoft account password to sign in to Xbox Live. For more information on how to do this, see Password protect your Xbox Live profile.

hope that helps:)
  5. J3RS3Y DEVIL Win User

The Witcher 3 gameplay footage

@24,

Did you try the Xbox version of the ole switcheroo?

1.Consider the following scenario:

◦Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1. ◦Gamertag B is linked to Microsoft account 2.

2.At accounts.live.com, create a new Microsoft account. You'll only need this account as a temporary means of moving your gamertags.

Example: ◦Gamertag A is linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 3 is free.

3.Switch the gamertag that's linked to the Microsoft account you want to use to the Microsoft account that you created in Step 3. ◦Microsoft account 1 is now free.

◦Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 2.

◦Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 3.

4.Switch your gamertag to the Microsoft account that you want to use.

Example: ◦Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 2 is now free.

5.To complete the switch of gamertags between the two original Microsoft accounts, you must wait 30 days. After 30 days, switch Gamertag A from Microsoft account 3 to Microsoft account 2. ◦Gamertag B remains linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Gamertag A is now linked to Microsoft account 2.

◦Microsoft account 3 is now free.

6.Cancel the Microsoft account that you created in step 2.

Example: ◦Gamertag B is now linked to Microsoft account 1.

◦Microsoft account 3 is cancelled.

Notes

•When you change to a new Microsoft account, the current funds in your original Microsoft account do not transfer to your new Microsoft account.

•You can move a gamertag to a different Microsoft account only once every 30 days. ◦This includes new gamertags downloaded from Xbox Live.

◦If you try to move a gamertag before 30 days have passed since the last time you moved it, you’ll get the following error message:

•To change the Microsoft account associated with a child account, you must provide the Microsoft account information for the adult account that has parental control.

•You can choose to require input of your Microsoft account password to sign in to Xbox Live. For more information on how to do this, see Password protect your Xbox Live profile.
  6. 61590633-b111-4c2a-b Win User

Best way to move X-Box account to a different Microsoft Account

Unfortunately, there is not an option on the Xbox One to move a Gamertag from one Microsoft account to another. However, you would need to contact official support and see if they can do anything to help you out with moving your Gamertag to that other MSA
Thema:

1. Can you move Gamertag from 1 microsoft account to another? - Similar Threads - move Gamertag microsoft

2. Why do we still not have a way to move Xbox Gamertag to a different Microsoft Account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why do we still not have a way to move Xbox Gamertag to a different Microsoft Account?: Bit of a long post here, but my patience has worn a bit thin on this issue. So I have a gamertag from years before Microsoft Accounts even became a thing, but it's stuck on an email I've never...
  3. Moving Gamertag from an old Microsoft Account to A New One

in XBoX Accessibility
    Moving Gamertag from an old Microsoft Account to A New One: XBox 360 The email account associated with my Gamertag no longer exists and don’t have access to. But I do have the password. I’m attempting to move my account on my 360 system from the old...
  4. How to move an Xbox Live Gamertag to an existing Microsoft Account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    How to move an Xbox Live Gamertag to an existing Microsoft Account?: My Main Xbox Live Gamertag is currently associated to a throwaway/secondary Microsoft Account. My Main Microsoft Account is currently associated to a throwaway/secondary Xbox Live Gamertag. I...
  5. Assign / move gamertag to a new email / microsoft account whilst retaining the orginal MS...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Assign / move gamertag to a new email / microsoft account whilst retaining the orginal MS...: I am trying to move my sons gamertag to his own Email account / microsoft account and I see no way to do it. He has an xbox one. Must be a simple thing to do i.e. change an email to something...
  6. Move gamertag I use to microsoft account I use

in XBoX on Consoles
    Move gamertag I use to microsoft account I use: I have a Microsoft account which I use for everything, but I accidentally set up a new gamertag on it, this gamertag is unused I would ideally like to delete it. My actual gamertag is connected...
  7. How to move the Gamertag from my Microsoft account to my adult son's account

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to move the Gamertag from my Microsoft account to my adult son's account: We have an xBox One and my son has been using my account/gamertag for some time. With his recent birthday, I would like to transition him from my account to his own. He has a current account...
  8. Trying to move gamertag to my new microsoft account but new account has randomly generated...

in XBoX on Windows
    Trying to move gamertag to my new microsoft account but new account has randomly generated...: Hey all, I had a certain gamertag that I used back when I played xbox360. With Halo coming to pc, I was trying to allocate my gamertag to my microsoft account, but it is currently locked to my old...
  9. Add ability to move Gamertag to a different Microsoft Account.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Add ability to move Gamertag to a different Microsoft Account.: I know this has been asked and asked again. I'm hoping this continues to get attention though. Currently I have my Gamertag tied to one Microsoft Account (MSA) and not the one I use. I would...
  10. When will we be able to move gamertag content to another Microsoft account?

in XBoX on Windows
    When will we be able to move gamertag content to another Microsoft account?: It's not unusual to have XBOX gamertag content associated with 1 msft account and a Windows 10/outlook account with another. When will one be able to move a gamertag to another MSFT account?...