Can we get a lock feature for games on our storage device?

Discus and support Can we get a lock feature for games on our storage device? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Please bear with me while I explain.. On the new Series X/S consoles .. you have to install to internal storage in order to play the games optimized... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by HurtElm04, May 19, 2023.

1. HurtElm04
    HurtElm04 Guest

Please bear with me while I explain.. On the new Series X/S consoles .. you have to install to internal storage in order to play the games optimized for Series consoles .. some of us can’t afford the new expansion cards so we just use our old storage devices.. for storing games.. for example .. when I’m ready to play a Series X/S game I have to either transfer or copy the game to internal storage.. and once I’m done and ready to play a new game I have to delete the old game from internal storage.. or transfer the game back to external storage.. so basically we have to do inventory management… I usually only copy the games.. and have them permanently stored on my external storage.. Some of us are absent minded… or just clumsy... so it would be nice if we could lock into place the games designated to a certain storage device to where it’s impossible to delete the game unless you unlock it.. this would be a great feature in my opinion so we don’t accidentally delete our games and have to redownload it.. Some games are over 100 GB and it takes hours to redownload.. please consider this feature…

Thank you

:)

HurtElm04, May 19, 2023
  2. DeniqL Win User

Hi! I'm Luis, a fellow Xbox Gamer . Thanks for reaching us out here.

I know that feature would be quite useful. Unfortunately there are currently no official intentions to implement it

I would recommend you to submit your idea here :)
    This forum collects ideas and suggestions from users to improve the experience
    https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxInsiders/wiki/xbox...
  3. Elohmn Win User

Brand new game on a new console freezes up

What Game? Most Lock-ups can be corrected with simply Clearing the Cache of the Storage Device (System Settings/ Storage/ Y Button Device Options). Installing the Game to the Storage Device can also help.
  4. XBF Javier R Win User

Hard drives

Hello jon,

We thank you for bringing this inquiry to our forums community, and understand that this concerns the number of external storage devices that can be plugged in at a time on Xbox One.

As already provided by Wishcatcher, our troubleshoot external storage detection on Xbox One support
    article provides the following information:

• No more than three storage devices are connected to the console at the same time.

You can review the article for more information on storage device detection and other helpful tips.

Best wishes!
  5. MaximumExtreme Win User

Which External HDD you using?

I'm using a Seagate Backup Plus 2TB 3.0 usb external hdd and I haven't had any problem at all. Below is a copy and pasted article for info on external hdd and FAQ.

A 256GB or larger storage device with USB 3.0.

Note: Any brand/drive should work, as long as it's at least 256GB and USB 3.0.

Note: You can connect up to two storage devices at the same time

Note: If the storage device is connected via a USB hub, it needs to support USB 3.0.

Note: Both USB powered and AC adapter powered will work.

External Storage FAQ

Q: What can I install on my external storage device?

A: You can install games, downloadable content, and apps on your storage device.

Q: Can I store game saves on the external storage device?

A: No. Game saves are automatically stored in the cloud and synced to the Xbox One console.

Q: Can I use the external storage device for music and video playback?

A: No. For the initial release of the external storage feature, media files, including music and videos, are not supported. We are considering this for a future release.

Q: Can I copy or move a game from my internal hard drive to my external storage device?

A: Yes. Check out the content management features by going the Manage page for the game or app.

Q: Can I use my external storage device with my PC as well as my Xbox One?

A: No. The external storage device will be formatted for use by the Xbox One console only. PCs won’t recognize the drive partition created by the Xbox One.

Q: Can I re-format my storage device from my Xbox One console?

A: If you'd like to remove all content from your storage device and start over, you can re-format your storage device on the Xbox One. To do this, go to Settings>System>Manage Storage, choose the external drive you want to format, and select Format. After
    this is done, the Xbox One will treat it as a brand new drive.

Note: Formatting causes the storage device to wipe all data.

Q: Do I need to bring my game disc while roaming with my storage device?

A: Yes. The external storage device does not change the licensing for games, so if the game was installed from a disc, the disc is required to play the game.
  6. Hindsy1410 Win User

Xbox game pass issues

Hi,

We think it's a Family Account.

When we try to add the game pass we're getting message 'your child needs to sign in to their windows 10 device DESKTOP - XXXXXX0 for family features to work.'

He's logged in to our laptop but we are still getting this message. Any ideas?
Thema:

1. Can we get a lock feature for games on our storage device? - Similar Threads - lock feature games

2. Why are locking for groups not working

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why are locking for groups not working: I tried to join a group post and creating one and for some reason it all says locked or there was a problem can someone help me with this e3a1bcbd-20cd-4a21-9de4-87b7dec602e6
  3. Why lock me out of my account when i run out of xbox live?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why lock me out of my account when i run out of xbox live?: I have an xbox account and i had xbox live up until now and i thought once that live runs out i would just be able to use my account offline and play free games like xbox advertises but no once...
  4. Dreamlight valley rift in time account locked still

in XBoX Accessibility
    Dreamlight valley rift in time account locked still: Dreamlight valley rift in time purchased but only one daughter can play it why ebc74364-fbca-4be9-9e95-b91e4fb0cac8
  5. Games lock up

in XBoX on Consoles
    Games lock up: Hi, I have an Xbox Series S all-digital edition and I have played about 10 times and each time the game will crash at random times - I usually get frustrated and turn it off. One of the games...
  6. My microsoft account is locked

in XBoX on Windows
    My microsoft account is locked: Suddenly, my Microsoft account was locked, and when I tried to unlock it through a verification method, the only verification method that it showed me was sending a code to my phone number, so...
  7. Region locked gift

in XBoX on Windows
    Region locked gift: So my friend gifted me a Saints Row IV: Re-Elected, but they live in a different country and the code is region locked, anyway around that or is there a way to give them a refund?...
  8. Can Microsoft implement a feature locking controller (like phone unlock)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can Microsoft implement a feature locking controller (like phone unlock): These controllers are getting expensive and open to thieving, especially when running a youth club etc. surely some security measures could be put in place. At the moment it seems it is too easy...
  9. Why is the compare sats feature locked . It worked on the previous versions of Madden why...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is the compare sats feature locked . It worked on the previous versions of Madden why...: Why is the compare stats feature locked b39c79b0-9cf2-426e-8d2a-74c140ac2b77
  10. going over to ps its stupid xbox is this big they would lock away such a useful feature...

in XBoX on Consoles
    going over to ps its stupid xbox is this big they would lock away such a useful feature...: i just spent 100 dollars on a headset that isnt xbox branded because the hyper x is said to be better and the only reason i can tell is the alpha hyper x has a splitter how incompetent does a...