can not change install location on pc for gamepass

Discus and support can not change install location on pc for gamepass in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; hello i am trying to install games from game pass onto my D drive. However when i go into settings > general and change the location to D, from C, it... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by peter jones4, Aug 23, 2023.

1. peter jones4
    peter jones4 Guest

hello

i am trying to install games from game pass onto my D drive. However when i go into settings > general and change the location to D, from C, it ignores this. It also asks me to choose a folder in my D drive. Every folder i choose i get a message saying i cannot choose that location

i am at a loss. I have also tried completely removing all xbox related files from my pc and re-installing them. This also does not work

:)

peter jones4, Aug 23, 2023
  2. MarkusSchiefer Win User

Dear Kathy,

You have posted the same info multiple times now, but it simply doesn't work.

After a reinstall of Windows due to a hardware failure, I can't get the Xbox app to install to the configured folder.

Whatever folder I choose, it is properly shown in the installation dialog, but games get still installed into C:\Program Files\WindowsApps.

Before the fresh installation of Windows this worked without any issues.

Yes, everything is updated, and I even tried the Insider version without success.

This seems to be genuinely bugged, at least for new installations.
  3. peter jones4 Win User

Hello. Thanks for your assistance. Unfortunately none of these steps have worked. I do not receive any error messages

What happenes is that my setting to install on d drive are completely ignored
  4. Kathy A. Win User

Hello peter jones4,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you are trying to install Xbox games into Drive D. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner for you to get back to gaming.

Since you have been trying to change the location through settings, may we confirm if these settings you mention is from Xbox app?

If yes, try to begin changing the location of newly installed apps from the PC Settings before Xbox app settings. To begin, please try the steps below, you may skip if you have performed them beforehand.

• Restart device -
      • This will clear your computer’s memory/RAM.
    • Keep your Windows updated -
      • Install PC updates including Optional Update. Guide - Update Windows
        • Settings > Update & Security (Windows 10) or Windows Update (Windows 11) > Check for updates > download updates and install > restart device and wait for the update to be done.
      • If you have issues with update, please check the troubleshooting steps available here - Troubleshoot problems updating Windows.
    • Update your Windows and Windows drivers:
      • For the best game performance, make sure your system’s video card drivers (or display adapter drivers) are up to date. Drivers are available on the support website for your computer manufacturer, or if your computer system is custom built, on the video card manufacturer’s support website. Updating video card drivers can resolve game crashes, improve frame rates, and improve overall game performance.
    • Update Xbox app from Microsoft Store
      • Launch Microsoft Store app on Windows by searching it on Windows search bar.
      • Select Library > Updates & downloads > check if an update is available for the Xbox app.
      • If an update is available, select Update.
    • Now, here is the steps you need to follow for changing the folder of your Xbox Games installation:
      1. Go to PC Settings and select System.
      2. At the left side, please select Storage and scroll down on the options on the right side.
      3. Look for Change where new content is saved. This will take you to a selection of drive and on the Change the New apps will save to - please select Drive D.
      4. Launch Xbox app and go to settings.
      5. Look for general and under Game Install Option, please select Drive D.
      6. Then, no need to change folder, as this will default to D:\XboxGames. Should you wish to rename XboxGames, you may select Change Folder.

Should the steps provided did not work and you experience an error please take a screenshot and post it on your next reply. Conceal your personal information like email address, gamertag or full name in the screenshot.

We will wait for your update.

Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  5. peter jones4 Win User

Hello

The problem still persists.

The d drive is built in.

Also note that I never used to have this issue so I am unsure why it has suddenly happened

Sincerely

Peter
  6. Kathy A. Win User

Good day!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we will consider your issue resolved. If you do need further help, please create a new thread to discuss your concerns through this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com), as we will not be monitoring this thread going forward.

[​IMG]

Thank you for your understanding.

Respectfully,

Microsoft Community Moderator
Thema:

1. can not change install location on pc for gamepass - Similar Threads - change install location

2. can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin

in XBoX on Windows
    can i bypass the security info change as i recently installed a new cpu and it corrupted my pin: i recently installed a new cpu and had to change my info now i have to wait a month is there a quick fix? 9357e2ba-5488-4496-b3e2-20e2a6446de1
  3. Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC: I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her...
  4. How to change the app permissions so I can install steam

in XBoX on Windows
    How to change the app permissions so I can install steam: How do I change the system setting so I can install steam I'm on an Acer Aspire 3 and can't do it since their is no feature in the settings 9db1798b-658a-40dd-9326-c75568de738a
  5. Installed language packs change the displayed language of certain apps away from the default

in XBoX on Windows
    Installed language packs change the displayed language of certain apps away from the default: I recently installed the Japanese language pack so that I could type Japanese characters when I wanted/needed, as it is a language I am currently studying. However, I noticed that all the Windows...
  6. how do I get a disc installed on series X, after resetting and changing DNS to 8888,8844?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    how do I get a disc installed on series X, after resetting and changing DNS to 8888,8844?: I've reset console and tried the well published DNS fix for installing games from a disc. I'm going to see if I can transfer from Xbox One, but would still have the problems for new games....
  7. How to change install folder in a drive for game pass but folder doesn't exist

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How to change install folder in a drive for game pass but folder doesn't exist: Trying to move game to from one drive to another but cannot as it says there is a drive issue. "N: - We didn't find N:\N:\Xbox. Make sure the folder exists and try again". This isn't a typo it...
  8. Cannot change default installation directory for xbox gamepass

in XBoX on Consoles
    Cannot change default installation directory for xbox gamepass: unable to change location as immeditly defaults back to C, support chat was less than useless stating it isnt possible despite this option being given on app (offered to screenshot but was told "I...
  9. Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox App on PC won't allow me to change my installation location to my D: Drive: Recently I have purchased Xbox Game Pass on my Windows 11 PC however I cannot change my installation to my D: Drive and get the drive issue "D: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. (it is NTFS)...
  10. Can't change default installation location

in XboX Insiders
    Can't change default installation location: Since i've found multiple threads surrounding the topic of an issue where I can't change the default installation location in the Xbox app I want to present an easy solution for this. (PS my xbox...