Can I play my external hard drive through my xbox 360?

Discus and support Can I play my external hard drive through my xbox 360? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have a portable hard drive through usb through my xbox 360 it has moves on it can u play it on this box? 17a9e0bb-9ac6-4479-a2d4-04a9139bceea Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by mel aplin, Dec 31, 2023.

1. mel aplin
    mel aplin Guest

I have a portable hard drive through usb through my xbox 360 it has moves on it can u play it on this box?

:)

mel aplin, Dec 31, 2023
  2. EchoSierraSix Win User

Can I watch movies from my external hard drive?

I have a terabyte external hard drive that plays through my xbox 360, so they are not correct.
  3. Intwaydomayla Win User

Using an old hard drive

I am wondering if I can use a hard drive I removed from a old regular xbox externally on my 360. My goal is to play the old regular xbox games. It is said that you just need a hard drive to play the games. So can I hookup that drive I took out of the regular
    xbox and use it externally with my 360???
  4. The_Last_DJ Win User

Hello Mel A! I'm Kris and I'd be happy to help you with your question.

Would you mind explaining further what you are trying to do?
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Swapping 360 slim hardrives.

Hi,

You only really need an official Xbox 360 Slim hard drive if:

• The game insists on using an internal 360 hard drive. There are a select few 360 games that need to install some data from the disc to run, these games need an internal drive.
    • You still want to play original Xbox games.
    For almost all other Xbox 360 games you can install to a external hard drive via a USB cable. The Xbox 360 supports external drives up to 2TB. If you connect an standard external hard drive via USB you can just move the game or saves to the external drive.

Unless your Xbox 360 drive is official, you won't be able to play original Xbox games. Most drives are not official. Any official hard drive will be quite old now as Microsoft hasn't made these drives for nearly a decade.

I have an old Xbox 360 I use occasionally for games that are either not BC on the Xbox One/Series X or were never released on PC. I use a 1TB external hard drive. I also want to insure that my Xbox 360s old DVD drive will continue to work into the future, so I install my 360 disc games to the 1TB drive.
  6. Smwutches Win User

Xbox 360 hard drive

You should look for USB 3.0 compatible portable HDD's. I use a 2TB Seagate on my Xbox 360.

Note that you can store and play only Xbox 360 or backwards compatible Xbox games. You will NOT be able to play Xbox One games.

Good luck!
    Note that external hard drives do not have the files needed to play backwards compatible games on a 360. Only an official MS 360 hard drive does. So an external drive would not work in this case.
Thema:

1. Can I play my external hard drive through my xbox 360? - Similar Threads - play external hard

2. Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s?: Can oh Grand theft Auto v online be played from an external hard drive on Xbox series s? c7531c5d-ab58-4f9d-8106-b7206357bd12
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...

in XBoX on Windows
    What external hard drive can i buy to satisfy the series x games having to be played on the...: I believe the external drives have to be spec'd to a certain speed and WD was going to release some. Maybe the WD P10 5TB? Please advise! 4ab85aec-6435-4e57-a47d-37e6f1c38f55
  5. why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?

in XBoX on Windows
    why am i not allowed to just play xbox enhanced games off a external hard drive?: if its because "they are enhanced" why not give me a pop up that says "this game will run better if its installed to the internal drive or the expansion card are you sure you wish to play without...
  6. I bought a new external hard drive and I can't play games.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I bought a new external hard drive and I can't play games.: It's a Seagate Game Drive for Xbox 2TB, Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0, I can't play S and X optimized games, how can I fix this. 7c5aa620-e2b9-42d0-b7b9-5633bbf52b9a
  7. Can you play new mw3 from an old gen xbox 1 external hard drive

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can you play new mw3 from an old gen xbox 1 external hard drive: Can you play the new Modern Warfare 3 from an external hard drive on the old gen Xbox One 1d7b830b-4512-462a-ae16-59c74b8077bd
  8. Why cant I play games from my external hard drive????

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why cant I play games from my external hard drive????: I cant play games from my external hard drive anymore??? What the hell? 460c00f4-fa41-44b7-8ddd-37aced07526b
  9. Can i leave my games on a external hard disk in order to the new owner to play them without...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can i leave my games on a external hard disk in order to the new owner to play them without...: I want to be sure if i leave all my games on the external hard disk, the new owner will not be able to access to my bank details. Thanks for your help f7d7f530-859f-424a-bf74-f0ee5e971e30
  10. Unable to play games from an external hard drive?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to play games from an external hard drive?: Why am I no longer able to play Xbox S/X optimized games from my external hard drives if I was able to play them previously while they were saved to my external drives such as Fortnite, Rainbow...