Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?

Discus and support Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello all, Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by philm_0, Sep 5, 2018.

1. philm_0
    philm_0 Guest

Hello all,

Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement or the like.

I am looking at creating a device that when plugged into a windows PC registers as a XUSB device. I want the device to look like an Xbox 360 controller. (I could buy a 360 controller but I want to create a custom, specialized case).

Would I be able to use a USB sniffer program and reverse engineer the XUSB communication protocol for my device? And then program my device to effectively function as an Xbox 360 controller?

If it turns out that others are interested in my device, would I be able to sell on the market? Or is the XUSB protocol proprietary to Microsoft and I would need to enter into some agreement with Microsoft?

As another side note, I am very much aware the the XInput API does contain a provision for the HID standard and that DirectInput is another avenue that I could take. However, I would like to first explore the XUSB option first even though it might take more
    work.

Moved from: Gaming on Windows 10

:)

philm_0, Sep 5, 2018
  2. Echo4Ent
    Echo4Ent Guest

In order for your device to register as an Xbox Controller, you would need to use the USB VID and PID id's that are assigned to Xbox Controllers. Using a VID/PID combination that is not your own could land you into some trouble.

That being said, Microsoft does license Xbox Controller info to 3rd parties like ADP that make their own compatible wired controllers. In order for you to be "legal" you would likely need to go down that path. Microsoft would need to test and approve any
    device.

Echo4Ent, Sep 5, 2018
  3. philm_0
    philm_0 Guest

Hello all,

Before doing anything, I wanted to check with the community/Microsoft to see if I can legally do this without violating any user agreement or the like.

I am looking at creating a device that when plugged into a windows PC registers as a XUSB device. I want the device to look like an Xbox 360 controller. (I could buy a 360 controller but I want to create a custom, specialized case).

Would I be able to use a USB sniffer program and reverse engineer the XUSB communication protocol for my device? And then program my device to effectively function as an Xbox 360 controller?

If it turns out that others are interested in my device, would I be able to sell on the market? Or is the XUSB protocol proprietary to Microsoft and I would need to enter into some agreement with Microsoft?

As another side note, I am very much aware the the XInput API does contain a provision for the HID standard and that DirectInput is another avenue that I could take. However, I would like to first explore the XUSB option first even though it might take more
    work.

philm_0, Sep 5, 2018
  4. Can I legally create a device that registers as a XUSB device?

Reverse engineering someone elses intellectual property could be seen a violation of using it.

This is something you would need to enquire directly with Microsoft about.

DIPDIP0TAT0CH1P, Sep 11, 2018
  5. philm_0
    philm_0 Guest
    Yes, that was my concern. I wasn't sure if XUSB was Microsoft IP though.

philm_0, Sep 11, 2018
  6. Ackis
    Ackis Guest
    Ackis, Nov 5, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: