Can I delete MSIXVC file if the game is currently on my machine?

Discus and support Can I delete MSIXVC file if the game is currently on my machine? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; This is a very stupid way to download/use files, but I have a game (Destiny 2) that I believe is duplicated in MSIXVC and in my regular Windows Apps... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by DylanDiamond, Aug 27, 2023.

1. DylanDiamond
    DylanDiamond Guest

This is a very stupid way to download/use files, but I have a game (Destiny 2) that I believe is duplicated in MSIXVC and in my regular Windows Apps folders based on similar data size and looking at similar activity seen for other users on community. It is taking up ~123gb in both folders, wasting a ton of storage in my SSD. I'll attach a snippet.

Can I delete the MSIXVC file since it's already in my windows apps folder?

Whatever team manages Xbox on PC needs to fix this - pitiful mistake for a company as large as Microsoft to be making.

Can I delete MSIXVC file if the game is currently on my machine? [​IMG]

:)

DylanDiamond, Aug 27, 2023
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello DylanDiamond,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand that you would like to remove duplicate folder or file - MSIXVC, when the game has already been installed. Thanks for bringing your question to the forums. Our focus here is on helping with a wide variety of Xbox product and service-related issues. Most game-specific issues, like what you are describing here, need to be addressed by the developer or publisher through their sites. Let us help you get to the right place.

Files or folders downloaded from Xbox app exists because the game developer has set it to be downloaded. Although it is showing duplicate in your end, only the game developer or support can determine whether it can be deleted or not. Please contact the game support for assistance: Bungie Help

The game have a forum where you can express your concern to the Destiny 2 enthusiasts, feel free to check and use the game platform: Help | Forums | Bungie.net

On the other hand, we understand that this could be inconvenient for you to download the same files/folder on the same location for the games. Should you need to send feedback to have an update or notification for duplicate files, we recommend you to send one by the following the steps below:

• On Xbox app for Windows:
      • Launch Xbox app
      • Navigate to the top right of the application and select your gamerpic icon
      • Select “Feedback” in the drop-down menu
      • Select “Report a problem”
      • Click Give new feedback
      • Add description in “Summarize your feedback” followed by a feedback summary
        • Summary should be descriptive and fully detailing the error you are receiving. Links redirecting to this forum post will not be accepted and will cause a delay in your feedback submission.
      • Category should automatically be selected.
      • In the "add more details" category, you will have the option to "Recreate my problem". Recreating the problem will help us further pinpoint the error you are receiving.

As this is out of scope for us on the Xbox Forums, we are going to close the thread. If you still need assistance with an Xbox product or service, feel free to create a new thread. Thanks again for posting your question, and have a great day!

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. chronicjuiceboxx Win User

Installed games through Xbox Beta taking up twice the hard drive space

So in order to delete the files in the MSIXVC folder you have to kill the Stub Service program for the Xbox app; however, if you delete the files in said folder, the folders for the games themselves (i.e. PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10) become
    inaccessible along with all the contents of the folder. It says that the resource or folder is no longer available. So that leads me to believe that the files in the MSIXVC folder remain as a virtual mounted drive of sorts. If I restore the file from the recycle
    bin, the folder is accessible again. I verified this with Bloodstained as well. This needs to be fixed.
  4. Ian Jee Win User

(PC) Attempt to install game results in game disappearing but unable to install because of disk space

Update: I ended up having to access my WindowsApps/MSIXVC folder (within Program Files) and manually deleting the virtual image file (3D263E92-93CD-4F9B-90C7-5438150CECBF.*).

Now if only I had written down each folder's original owner...

MSIXVC - System

WindowsApps - NT Service\TrustedInstaller
  5. Madnicow Win User

Gears of War 5 PC INSTALL ISSUE NO ERROR HELPPPPPPP

I have a similar problem with other games on microsoft store.

After full installation, the game is present in WindowsApps /MSIXVC (for gears5 as 1E66A3E7-2F7B-461C-9F46-3EE0AEC64B8C taking 69 Go) and in WindowsApps (for gears5 as Microsoft.HalifaxBaseGame_1.1.95.0_x64__...) but the game is not present in the library
    and when I try to download it again, i get a message saying that the game is downloaded but I can't launch it (i still see the install button instead of the play button).

I just found a solution to finish the installation which works in my case : in the

WindowsApps /MSIXVC, try to delete the E66A3E7-2F7B-461C-9F46-3EE0AEC64B8C.xvs file and then go to the store to download the game again. This time, after a simple check, the installation will end and the play button appears!

But now, i have another problem, the game is present in 2 locations on the disk and i didn't found a way to delete installation files in MSIXVC folder (a process is still running on them)
  6. Ulrich_605 Win User

Forza Horizon 5 - Install Issues/Hard Drive Issues

I have the exact same issue, I managed to gain back my disc space by deleting the content of the "WindowsApps" file, in MSIXVC. The file is protected, so it's quite the process to access.

But now the game won't download, it stays in the preparation phase and then just disappear. I am seriously tired of this, feels like I am wasting money
Thema:

1. Can I delete MSIXVC file if the game is currently on my machine? - Similar Threads - delete MSIXVC file

2. Need help unlinking deleted Microsoft account from my ps5

in XBoX on Windows
    Need help unlinking deleted Microsoft account from my ps5: I used to play Minecraft alot but I needed to get another Microsoft account to go with my updated and new email, so dumbly of Me, when I signed out of Minecraft, I didn't press the unlink button...
  3. My Minecraft world got deleted and what to do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Minecraft world got deleted and what to do?: My ps4 Minecraft world got deleted but a corrupted file. I don’t know how to get it back. Please help 9f78e459-f1b1-4974-a401-af34fbe80df2
  4. Deleting captures

in XBoX on Consoles
    Deleting captures: You guys deleted my captures, this sucks!... df7d048c-5163-4092-bf9b-2711cd084e3a
  5. It's 2024! WHY are you still deleting personal video clips off the series x with no warning?!

in XBoX on Windows
    It's 2024! WHY are you still deleting personal video clips off the series x with no warning?!: Honestly this is just an atrocious nasty practice! We BUY the Xbox, we OWN the Xbox! MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN THE PURCHASED XBOX! MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN THE PERSONAL VIDEO CLIPS! IT'S LIKE...
  6. Blocking Xbox X (0x80a40020) For multiple account creation and deletion for how long is the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Blocking Xbox X (0x80a40020) For multiple account creation and deletion for how long is the...: Console serial number 090189223117 cc7b311d-94ae-4693-8739-bf4e1a02fcd5
  7. Why Xbox deleted most of my captures even though I did not exceed the Xbox network storage...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why Xbox deleted most of my captures even though I did not exceed the Xbox network storage...: I thought that Xbox was only deleting it for players who exceeded the storage limit but instead did it to everyone. Why Microsoft, you are literally the richest company in this world yet you can't...
  8. deleted a game by mistake from xbox how can i restore it.

in XBoX on Consoles
    deleted a game by mistake from xbox how can i restore it.: by mistake deleted some games how can I restore them. some of these games are off the game pass like minecraft for xbox 1 e26a01a1-24ab-4a2e-b447-678bd36143ac
  9. I deleted Minecraft off my IPhone, how do I restore my old worlds?

in XBoX on Windows
    I deleted Minecraft off my IPhone, how do I restore my old worlds?: Hi! So I stupidly decided to delete Minecraft on my IPhone because I thought it would help out with a glitch, without realizing that it would delete my worlds (I am fairly new to the game). If...
  10. How do i delete my xbox games on a external drive that has been corrupted?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do i delete my xbox games on a external drive that has been corrupted?: My external drive on my series s will show that the games i try to uninstall are gone, but the storage taken is still the same as when the game was installed. 29027c81-2fe6-4c75-940f-8ffa841133ef