Broken HDMI-CEC Functionality

Discus and support Broken HDMI-CEC Functionality in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, Hoping someone can lend some thoughts on this one. I've logged multiple problem reports and even escalated it up pretty high only to be told to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by x Jimity x, Sep 23, 2023.

1. x Jimity x
    x Jimity x Guest

Hi,

Hoping someone can lend some thoughts on this one. I've logged multiple problem reports and even escalated it up pretty high only to be told to log it via the Report A Problem feature (again. . . for like the 5th time) or come here and make a post. Just. . . "disappointing". . . . To me its a software bug that's been present in the XBox Series X since an "update" broke the functionality back in August 2020 !

As above, I own an XBox Series X. Its connected via the supplied HDMI cable to a 5.1 Receiver Unit (Panasonic SA-HT65), which in turn connects to the television (Panasonic P50U20A) via HDMI cable. The Xbox Series X HDMI-CEC functionality is turned on and is able to send volume up/down/mute instructions to the Receiver, and is also able to power off the Receiver and television when the Xbox is powered off. It just isn't able to power these devices ON when the Xbox is powered on. Meanwhile, other devices such as the previous generation Xbox One X, or even an Apple TV (connected on the same or an alternate HDMI cable or port) are fine.

Connecting a HDMI cable from the Xbox to the TV direct (I.E. without the Receiver), I can confirm the Xbox does in fact power on the TV no matter the HDMI port on the TV it is connected directly to. Therefore, it would appear the XBox's ability to send the power on instruction to the Receiver is primarily the issue here. Through the troubleshooting and testing process I have re-completed the HDMI-CEC (TV & Receiver) configuration process on a previous generation Xbox One X and its companion app / process. Whilst it goes through a number of attempts, its eventually able to locate the correct HDMI-CEC / remote code (code T1480 for the TV, and code A0308 for the Receiver) to interact with the TV & Receiver (including powering it on). I’m wondering if one of these remote codes are missing in the Xbox Series X software, and could therefore be causing an issue ? It would be handy to have the same setup procedure, or even a downloadable app, for the Xbox Series X in order to better try and configure the HDMI-CEC functionality, but alas it appears this process isn't returning for the XBox Series X generation.

Sure, its a first world problem. . . .The last time this functionality worked was in August 2022 in the lead-up to that month's system software update. It worked perfectly fine until that update. After the update was applied, this functionality has since failed to work despite numerous hardware and software troubleshooting steps. Anyone have any tips, or a contact within the XBox team who will actually look at their code and attempt to show a bit motivation and fix it ?

:)

x Jimity x, Sep 23, 2023
  2. Marrion_Y Win User

Hi x Jimity x,

Welcome to Microsoft Xbox Community Forum. Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concern about the broken HDMI-CEC functionality on your Xbox Series X. I understand how frustrating it can be to experience issues with your device, especially when it affects your overall entertainment experience.

Based on the information you provided, it seems that the issue is related to a software bug that occurred after a system software update in August 2020. It is possible that the remote codes for your TV and receiver are missing in the Xbox Series X software, which is causing the issue.

Considering that you have tried all the possible troubleshooting needed to address the issue, I would recommend reaching out to our lXbox live support for us to further investigate the issue and for further assistance. You can reach them through these steps:

1. Go to: Contact us | Xbox Support
    2. See the bottom left part of the page and make sure that the page has the correct region that you are in (ex: United States - English for USA)
    3. If not, click on it then select the correct region that you are in.
    4. Check and confirm that you are within the available time of support under Contact times.
    5. Click Contact us
    6. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
    7. On the page, see the provided support articles that may help you with your concern. Click See contact options if further assistance is needed.
    8. On the next page, select either Chat online or Request a call option then follow or enter the needed details.

If still you are unable to reach our live support through those steps above, go back to this page: Contact us | Xbox Support then select the Ask a question option under Try our virtual agent section and enter this exact phrase: Talk to an agent.

Here are some articles that may also be helpful:

- How do I control other devices using HDMI-CEC? | Xbox Support

- Set up your Xbox Series X|S console | Xbox Support

Kind regards,
    Marrion
  3. x Jimity x Win User

I'm mostly time poor over the next couple of days, however will be sure to request a call (online chat doesn't appear to be available to me) by the end of the week.
  4. blightcp Win User

What? No Low level HDMI pass through?

The claim by the MS that that the xbox one hardware is incapable of performing this function. In the other posts. HDMI passhough is a standard feature on most even cheap home receivers other things. Espically on devices that support HDMI CEC functionality
    as thex box one does.
  5. 0JonAdams Win User

HDMI 1.3?

As far as I know they have not included any CEC functionality in any of the xbox models to date. A device can be HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 compatible without implementing any CEC functionality.CEC is an optional part of the HDMI standard so a lot of companies choose
    to ignore it. From what I understand the current xbox models are HDMI 1.3 compatible (without CEC unctionality).

I wish they would add a full feature set of CEC commands to the xbox. I love being able to control my PS3 slim with just my normal TV remote to watch netflix and stuff without ever picking up the ps3 controller. There are a ton of other great functions
    I would love to see added to the Xbox too.
  6. Tezzarrific Win User

Xbox One HDMI CEC

translation

Good afternoon.

Please return HDMI CEC, after the last update, this function has disappeared, it is very convenient.

Thank you in advance!
    xbox does not support hdmi cec, but it controls tv's via infrared, check to see if this is still setup on your console and re programme if needed.

xbox не поддерживает hdmi cec, но контролирует ТВ через ИК-порт, проверьте, все ли еще настроено на вашей консоли, и перепрограммируйте, если необходимо.

Thema:

1. Broken HDMI-CEC Functionality - Similar Threads - Broken HDMI CEC

2. broken HDMI on Xbox One X

in XBoX on Consoles
    broken HDMI on Xbox One X: I have a white Xbox one x limited edition that my mother's ex gave me (like 2 or 3 years ago) since they didn't want it but the HDMI port on it is broken and the only thing I was given was a...
  3. Warranty - xbox series x Hdmi port is broken

in XBoX on Consoles
    Warranty - xbox series x Hdmi port is broken: I have a xbox series x and the Hdmi port is broken. A couple prongs on the end have come away. Xbox is still under warranty, can I get this fixed through the warranty?...
  4. How does one go and enable screen casting on xbox with a broken hdmi port, Trying to see...

in XBoX on Windows
    How does one go and enable screen casting on xbox with a broken hdmi port, Trying to see...: I get signed in and it says press enable, what combination of xbox buttons will let me enable it without seeing the screen? Cheers to anyone who can help 884ce42f-72e0-4863-a726-8afbeab51ddd
  5. Can I connect my Xbox series s to my tv without using my consoles hdmi port its broken

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can I connect my Xbox series s to my tv without using my consoles hdmi port its broken: Can I connect my Xbox series s to my tv without using my consoles hdmi port its broken ed1658e4-bbe4-45aa-9563-a719034e7496
  6. HDMI port broken on series x. Is this covered?

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDMI port broken on series x. Is this covered?: does the manufacturer warranty cover a broken hdmi port? 88923a51-36aa-4cb7-a57a-ebab77717cd7
  7. Xbox Series X broken HDMI output.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X broken HDMI output.: The HDMI output has stopped working on my Series X. Looks like the far side of the HDMI is broken. I have moved this console one time since setting up, seems to be a manufacturing defect. Is there...
  8. Is hdmi cec still broken on Series X?

in XBoX on Windows
    Is hdmi cec still broken on Series X?: Ok, so fellow gamers and ambassadors, please help me out: Hdmi cec is not working properly with my SX since day one. On the original Xbox One and Xbox One X, it used to power up the TV and amp...
  9. Hdmi CEC is broken please fix (alpha skip ahead)

in XboX Insiders
    Hdmi CEC is broken please fix (alpha skip ahead): the powering on/off tv via xbox (HDMI CEC) stopped working in latest alpha skip ahead meaning wroked before but the latest update (as of may 17th) doesn't let me enable on the xbox one s please...
  10. Latest Xbox Update (Xbox Series X) HDMI-CEC Broken

in XBoX on Consoles
    Latest Xbox Update (Xbox Series X) HDMI-CEC Broken: Firstly, please let me know if I need to call support to make them aware of this problem. Since the last update I've been fighting with my Xbox Series X turning on my AV receiver and TV no...