black screen ONLY while launching games

Discus and support black screen ONLY while launching games in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I had been playing a game for hours and then quit it, went to home screen and tried something else....the logo comes up briefly and then it goes black.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by jmsZX, Jul 22, 2022.

1. jmsZX
    jmsZX Guest

I had been playing a game for hours and then quit it, went to home screen and tried something else....the logo comes up briefly and then it goes black. tried the original game i was in, blacked out after logo screen as well. Rebooted, same. held power button until it completely powered off and unplugged from the wall for awhile and restarted...same thing, can access store, configs, etc., but won't run any games. went ahead and performed latest update, restarted, same issue. It just came up suddenly and this console has never had any problems before. Most of the solutions online seem to be for the instance where it won't boot at all. Is there any solution/investigation besides doing a factory reset?

:)

jmsZX, Jul 22, 2022
  2. Lucas Lauer Win User

Hello, jmsZX. Thanks for reaching out. I'm Lucas, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be glad to help you out.

Before a factory reset, you can try to clear the console persistent storage and remove and add your account to the console again:

Press the Xbox One button on your controller.
    Go to Settings and select Devices and Connections.
    In the BLU-RAY section select Persistent Storage.
    Next, select Clear persistent storage three times.

Remove Account:
    1. Press the Xbox button. ​​​
    2. Select System > Settings > Account > Remove accounts. ​​​
    3. Select the account that you want to remove, and then Remove. ​​​
    4. Close. ​​​
    ​​​
    Power Reset:
    1​​. Turn off your console and your router/modem.
    2. Unplug all the cables from both devices (power, HDMI, etc..) and wait 2 minutes.
    3. After 2 minutes, plug all the cables in again on your router/modem and wait for all the lights to show up.
    ​​​4. Plug all the cables on your console and turn it on.

Add Account:
    1. Press the Xbox button.
    2. Select Profile & System > Add or switch > Add new.
    3. Enter the email address and password for the Microsoft account that you want to add.
    4. Read the Microsoft Service Agreement and Privacy Statement, and select I Accept.
    5. Follow the steps to configure your Sign-In & Security preferences.

If the issue persists, then I would suggest a factory reset.

Feel free to ask back any questions and please let me know how it goes.
  3. jmsZX Win User

ended up resetting while using the keep game option, and the console worked fine for 2 days. played several hours today and went back later, and the issue is back. console boots, can access settings, etc., but black screen after initial splash screen, requiring rebooting the console. kind of our of ideas about what to do, another reset and wipe everything and then the hassle of redoing everything, and that failing just having to replace it?
  4. Ricardo Lechuga Win User

Black screen while launching games

Hi JeremyB2006! My name is Ricardo an independent advisor ready to help you with this situation!

That would depend on how long stay black, but usually 1 or 2 seconds it's ok, you can try this if is longer

Please perform a power cycle reset, follow these steps:

Unplug the power cable from the back of the router, modem, or gateway for 5 minutes. If you have a router and a modem, unplug the power cable from both devices.

Restart your Xbox console. Press and hold the Xbox button in the center of your Xbox controller to open the Power Center. Select Restart console and then select Restart. (If the console appears to be frozen, press and hold the Xbox button  on the console for 10 seconds, until the console turns off. After the console shuts down, touch the Xbox button on the console again to restart.)

After 5 minutes, plug the modem or gateway in first, and wait for all the lights to return to their normal state.

If you are using a router, plug in the router and wait for all the lights to return to their normal state.
  5. Brosiah Win User

Can't Play Downloaded Game, Tried Trouble Shooting.

Can you elaborate on the black screen glitch issue? I experienced this after downloading Motorcross Madness this weekebd (one of this month's Games w/ Gold). As soon as I launch the game, I get the black screen. Only way to get out is to reboot console.
  6. MasterWorx Win User

Fallout 76 Can't change to windowed at startup

I got it to launch on my main profile but it's still a black screen. So as of now I can only play the game on my local user.
Thema:

1. black screen ONLY while launching games - Similar Threads - black screen while

2. While Playing on either xbox or remote play, game freezes and shows a black screen

in XBoX on Consoles
    While Playing on either xbox or remote play, game freezes and shows a black screen: tried hard reset, hdmi port and cable change, network port change, resolution change(essentially all fixes I could have found) and nothing has changes. Today it has happened twice in the span of 5...
  3. Black screen while re installing AC:origins Xbox S

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Black screen while re installing AC:origins Xbox S: For few months i couldn play the Pharoahs dlc, after many troubleshooting it was an overall problem with all xbox that ubisoft had. This is old game. (Def not gonna buy the new one nor valhalla as...
  4. My screen is turning purple/black while playing COD 2019 it also doesn't let me see my...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My screen is turning purple/black while playing COD 2019 it also doesn't let me see my...: Idk what to do I've used 2 tvs and restarted and Googled what to do but I can't get it to stop for good 5b917a13-d3a5-43cc-83f5-bcef813eccc1
  5. I got black screen while playing gta v in max setting, display lost signal. have to restart...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I got black screen while playing gta v in max setting, display lost signal. have to restart...: this keep happening for couple days now. just only happen when i play gta v. i'm able to play gta v for like 10 - 40 mins then got black screen. the mouse when press esc to get in map or sometime...
  6. Black Screen/delay while changing games

in XboX Insiders
    Black Screen/delay while changing games: It's around a month and a half that my console is having a problem when I change from a game to an app or home or whatever. Every time I open or change or close a game, the transition shows a...
  7. Every time I try and play black ops 3 I am stoped while loading on by a screen that is just...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Every time I try and play black ops 3 I am stoped while loading on by a screen that is just...: Every time I try and play black ops 3 I am stoped while loading on by a screen that is just stuck in saying “connecting to online service” Anybody know how to fix this?...
  8. I keep getting a black screen come on and off periodically while my console is connected to...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I keep getting a black screen come on and off periodically while my console is connected to...: I just bought a new Acer ED240Q 1080p 166hz gaming monitor for my Xbox Series X but it keeps flashing a black screen on and off every 5 minutes and is very annoying. I fiddled around with all the...
  9. Sea of Thieves crashed to black screen while downloading? from Steam?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Sea of Thieves crashed to black screen while downloading? from Steam?: Hello MSC, I have a similar issue with the game "Sea of Thieves" I purchased the game through Steam & as soon as "Sea of Thieves" started to download my laptop crashed to a blue screen. I was...
  10. Black square on left side of the screen while playing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Black square on left side of the screen while playing: After the latest update of Forza Horizon 5, a black square appears on the left side of the game. When I left click with the mouse it becomes white for a second, then it returns black. I'm playing...