Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X

Discus and support Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I am using a Xbox Series X and just got a HyperX Armada 27... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CamelMaestro, Sep 28, 2023.

1. CamelMaestro
    CamelMaestro Guest

Hi I am using a Xbox Series X and just got a HyperX Armada 27 ([link](https://hyperx.com/products/hyperx-armada-27-gaming-monitor?variant=42751899435165)) - don't worry, only paid $180 for it haha

Main specs: 1440p, 144Hz, and G-sync support

But beyond applying 1440p and 120Hz refresh rate I'm pretty lost on what to apply.

Variable Refresh Rate: I know G-sync isn't supported, but it's giving me the option to select it "Off", "Always On", and "Gaming Only". Does this mean this monitor supports VRR and it would work well with this display if it's giving me the option to turn it on?

Allow HDR10: Should I check this on? I'm leaning toward yes I should.

Color Depth: Should I select 24 bits per pixel (8-bit), 30 bits per pixel (10-bit), or 36 bits per pixel (12-bit)

Color Space: Should I select Standard or PC RGB?

Let me know if I'm missing anything! I appreciate any and all help with this!

:)

CamelMaestro, Sep 28, 2023
  2. Obsessive Power Win User

According to AMD, the HyperX Armada 27 supports FreeSync. which is a version of VRR. The manual does not mention FreeSync, so I guess to enable it, you need to make sure G-Sync is enabled. I would select 'always on' as the Xbox has it's own built in ability to change refresh rates for video streaming and Blu-ray/DVD playback

[​IMG]

HDR 10 should be left on. As for colour depth, on this display, it's not going to make much difference really. This display only supports what is called 'HDR 400' which is a really limited form of HDR technology. Decent HDR is 600+ and excellent HDR is 1000+

In essence, this display doesn't get anywhere near bright enough for good HDR.
  3. CamelMaestro Win User

Thank you so so much!!! This is super helpful!

So glad it has free sync support as well :)

As for the color depth and color space options do I leave those unchanged at 8-bit and standard options, respectively, based on your HDR comment? Or would you recommend changing those up at all?

Thanks!
  4. SigmaTheDJ Win User

For VRR, you want it either "always on" or "gaming only". If you have it always on, you may notice a little jerkiness when playing back game clips and if you do that a lot and find it annoying, switch it to "gaming only". The only real downside to "gaming only" is that every time you launch or quit a game, your monitor will go black for a couple of seconds while it switches modes.

That monitor uses an 8-bit panel, so set the colour depth to 8-bit.

For the colour space, set it to PC RGB as your monitor supports the full 0-255 RGB range.

Along with Obsessive Power's answer, I think that covers everything. Once you've gone through the video settings, make sure you calibrate the screen, including calibrating it for HDR gaming. The console has decent calibration tools built into the OS, so just run through those and you'll be all set.
  5. SigmaTheDJ Win User

Assuming you're not running an insider build, have you installed the latest system update, which was released yesterday? If not, install that, then try it again.

Failing that, you could do a factory reset, choosing the option to keep your games and apps installed. You'll need to sign back into your account(s) when that's done.

I'm not sure of a good alternative option to using the built-in tools.
  6. CamelMaestro Win User

Awesome!! Thank you both so so much!!

Real quick, do you happen to have any resources for how to calibrate the HDR settings? I tried running the program installed on Xbox and it just craps out lol
Thema:

1. Best video settings to use with new gaming monitor on Series X - Similar Threads - Best video settings

2. elches ist das beste Betriebssystem für ein Eigenbau-NAS ?

in XboX Insiders
    elches ist das beste Betriebssystem für ein Eigenbau-NAS ?: Welches ist das beste Betriebssystem für ein Eigenbau-NAS ? Welches ist am besten für Anfänger geeignet ? Und gibt es NAS-Betriebssysteme kostenlos ? Wir geben euch einen Überblick und...
  3. What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What’s the best way to connect my series X to my monitor that doesn’t have HDMI?: I recently purchased a Samsung G85SB gaming monitor. Only after being delivered did I realize it doesn’t have an HDMI port only mini DP, a micro hdmi and a type c input. I could buy adapters to...
  4. What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    What is the best way to control my TV and audio receiver from my Xbox series X?: I currently have an Xbox series X. a few months ago's I upgraded from an Xbox One X. I have my video and audio going to my TV and then optical out going to my audio receiver. I used to be able to...
  5. What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    What was the best or worst quote from a video game you've ever heard ?: This is one of my all time favorites... [img] e8d6ebc9-f83a-49ee-a267-35165f9bb21d
  6. Best Video Game Graphics

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Best Video Game Graphics: Red Dead Redemption 2 has superb graphics! However, I've played so many games that have great graphics. My list would be long lol. 21c068a7-d19e-4c17-8b6f-1c89f0c1174b
  7. Best Video Game Music Score

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Best Video Game Music Score: We focus so much on story, gameplay, characters, and what not that we don't appreciate the score which is the soul of most big games. Halo was a masterpiece in its time, but think how lack luster...
  8. Which Xbox video game do you think has the best story? What about the story do you think made ...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Which Xbox video game do you think has the best story? What about the story do you think made ...: Dying light, You get attached to a couple characters in the game. Soma, The story is awesome if you are into sci-fi, the game uses stealth & puzzles to tell Simon's unsettling story. Bioshock,...
  9. The Best Video Game I've Ever Played

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The Best Video Game I've Ever Played: I'd just like everyone to know that Skyrim is the best video game I've ever played. Here are some of the reasons: 1) Immersion capability like no other game has achieved with the possible...
  10. Post a WoT video of your best match results!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Post a WoT video of your best match results!: This seemed like a FUN topic for those of you who have taken the time to make a video (or 2) of your killer exploits! I'm interested to see what kind of GOLD gets posted, here!...