Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed

Discus and support Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey guys, Just picked up an Xbox One today (SO bundle) and started gettings worked out. I thought my connection was fine but I noticed the game... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Dyne790, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Dyne790
    Dyne790 Guest

Hey guys,

Just picked up an Xbox One today (SO bundle) and started gettings worked out.

I thought my connection was fine but I noticed the game install was only at about 5 % after half an hour and so I checked my connection.

My network statistics were:

Download: 25 Mbps

Upload: 21 Mbps

Packet Loss: 0%

MTU: 1326

Latency: 65 ms

Wireless Strength: 100%

When I checked my bandwidth Usage I found that my download speed was only 400 Kbs.

Can someone give any advice as to why this speed is so much slower than what the network says it should be?

Thanks guys

:)

Dyne790, Nov 4, 2014
  2. Low bandwidth usage

I have pretty quick fiber optic broadband, however when I am downloading games from Xbox store it takes forever.

Admitedly i am using wireless connection to my router but I am only getting between 5-15 Mbit/s. If I test my connection using my phone wirelessly right next to my Xbox with speedtest app I get 85 Mbit/s using a server 100+ miles away.

Why is my Xbox ones bandwidth utilisation so poor? Surely with so much bandwidth available it should be downloading very quickly.

jim10000-B5E2D2E0-AB47-4FB1-BEC2-4E4B835CE876, Nov 4, 2014
  3. maxen
    maxen Guest
    Install taking a long time

Your download times will depend entirely on your home network. If you have low download speeds, or many devices all connected at once, this will significantly worsen your download times.

The games are also considerably bigger than their 360 counterparts (40GB on Xbox One versus the typical 5-6GB on Xbox 360), which will also make it seem like it's much slower than you're used to.

You can check your download speed by going to Settings/Network/Bandwidth Usage/Current Usage. This tells you your download speed and by knowing the size of the game you can calculate the expected time to download.

maxen, Nov 4, 2014
  4. Mister Beep
    Mister Beep Guest

Hey there Dyne790!

Looking at your profile it looks like you have been earning achievements for Sunset Overdrive! Are you currently experiencing this issue? If so let us know so we can help get this sorted! Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed :)

Mister Beep, Nov 5, 2014
  5. Hey Mister Beep,

are Microsoft have some issues with the cloud system ?

The German website xboxfront says the low download speed is because of the cloud

UGS by ExoduS, Nov 5, 2014
  6. Dyne790
    Dyne790 Guest
    Mister Beep,

I was able to get Sunset Overdrive installed fairly quickly. It seems that my download speed goes from either 400 KB/s to around 4 MB/s without any indication that my network statistics have changed.

I am encountering a similar issue now while downloading the Master Chief Collection. I started this morning at 1:00 AM and by checking my bandwidth usage, my download per hour from 1 - 11 AM ranges from 7 GB/hour to 1/GB hour.

Is there a possibility that Xbox Live is throttling my download speed down? I do not notice any change in speed with my other electronic devices.

Thanks for any assistance

Dyne790, Nov 6, 2014
  7. Mister Beep
    Mister Beep Guest
    Hey there Dyne790!

For any issues with downloading and installing Halo: Master Chief Collection, try giving it time to download and install. Due to network congestion and very high demand, that would be the reason as to why you are experiencing slower than normal download
    speeds. I would try the following to make sure there isn't anything else holding the download back.

Clear persistent storage and power cycle:

• Press the menu button on your Xbox One controller and select 'Settings'.
    • In the Settings menu, select Disc & Blu-ray settings.
    • From here, select Persistent storage and clear it.
    • After you clear persistent storage, press and hold the power button on the Xbox One for 10 seconds.
    • Power on the Xbox One console and resume the game download.
    Give those steps a try and let us know if you notice improvement! Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed :)

Mister Beep, Nov 6, 2014
  8. Dyne790
    Dyne790 Guest

Mister Beep,

I did what you said and the install % on MCC went down from 50 to 25.

Checking my bandwidth usage it appears since I got the Xbox One on Tuesday, I have used 95 GB data. The only things I have downloaded are Sunset Overdrive and MCC. Is there a chance the Master Chief Collection download is messing up because 95 GB is way
    past what SO and MCC should add up to.

Could it also be related to the patch?

No rush on an answer, I am just going to leave the Xbox alone until tomorrow morning and hope everything has done what it needed to, but it seems a little strange to me.

Thanks for all your help!

Dyne790, Nov 6, 2014
  9. Wish I had Kilobits- I'm running on bits

BlueHawiianMan, Oct 31, 2015
  10. trojanere
    trojanere Guest
    If you are not wired direct to the router then there could be interference on the wifi. Could be network congestion or the router itself. Try a different router or take the Xbox to a friend's and wire it to their router and test the connection. If it fine
    then you know it's a problem at home, swap out the router and make sure you are wired.. wireless does tend to be unreliable.

trojanere, Nov 1, 2015
  11. Mister Maka
    Mister Maka Guest
    Heya BlueHawiianMan!

Because this thread is a bit old I'll be closing it but if you have any Xbox support questions that pop up please let us know in a new thread Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed :)

Mister Maka, Oct 31, 2018
  12. Mister Maka Win User

Heya BlueHawiianMan!

Because this thread is a bit old I'll be closing it but if you have any Xbox support questions that pop up please let us know in a new thread :)
  13. trojanere Win User

If you are not wired direct to the router then there could be interference on the wifi. Could be network congestion or the router itself. Try a different router or take the Xbox to a friend's and wire it to their router and test the connection. If it fine
    then you know it's a problem at home, swap out the router and make sure you are wired.. wireless does tend to be unreliable.
  14. UGS by ExoduS Win User

Hey Mister Beep,

are Microsoft have some issues with the cloud system ?

The German website xboxfront says the low download speed is because of the cloud
  15. Mister Beep Win User

Hey there Dyne790!

For any issues with downloading and installing Halo: Master Chief Collection, try giving it time to download and install. Due to network congestion and very high demand, that would be the reason as to why you are experiencing slower than normal download
    speeds. I would try the following to make sure there isn't anything else holding the download back.

Clear persistent storage and power cycle:

• Press the menu button on your Xbox One controller and select 'Settings'.
    • In the Settings menu, select Disc & Blu-ray settings.
    • From here, select Persistent storage and clear it.
    • After you clear persistent storage, press and hold the power button on the Xbox One for 10 seconds.
    • Power on the Xbox One console and resume the game download.
    Give those steps a try and let us know if you notice improvement! :)
  16. Dyne790 Win User

Mister Beep,

I was able to get Sunset Overdrive installed fairly quickly. It seems that my download speed goes from either 400 KB/s to around 4 MB/s without any indication that my network statistics have changed.

I am encountering a similar issue now while downloading the Master Chief Collection. I started this morning at 1:00 AM and by checking my bandwidth usage, my download per hour from 1 - 11 AM ranges from 7 GB/hour to 1/GB hour.

Is there a possibility that Xbox Live is throttling my download speed down? I do not notice any change in speed with my other electronic devices.

Thanks for any assistance
Thema:

1. Bandwidth Usage Low Download Speed - Similar Threads - Bandwidth Usage Low

2. Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is the Xbox App Download Limit Tied to the Windows Update Bandwidth Settings?: This is a very tedious issue I have with the Xbox app. Why is the download limit tied to the Windows update bandwidth? The app should have its own download limits. This was an issue I spent ages...
  3. Xbox bandwidth usage shows 0B for all months since I bought it

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox bandwidth usage shows 0B for all months since I bought it: [img] I’m using Xbox series X since the end of 2022. Today I opened Bandwidth usage from settings and noticed that Historical bandwidth usage for all period of time (last period is 31/05/2023 to...
  4. Bandwidth usage

in XBoX on Consoles
    Bandwidth usage: All I really ever do Is watch YouTube Amazon prime and Disney plus most days and play some games here and there and the few games like cloud game are fallout 76 and forza horizon 5 I just don't...
  5. How to set a bandwidth limit to download games on the Xbox App for Windows 11

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to set a bandwidth limit to download games on the Xbox App for Windows 11: I just bought the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and I want to install some games. The problem is that when I start downloading them the Xbox app uses all the bandwidth and I can't do anything else on...
  6. Not using all the bandwidth that it could use (uses 3/4mb of 30mb available)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Not using all the bandwidth that it could use (uses 3/4mb of 30mb available): As the title says, the video quality is very bad, and it is because it is using a 10/100 that it has available. I don't know if there is any extra configuration, but I'm just using it as it comes....
  7. My Xbox one s has had a bandwidth of zero for the past two weeks and no games will load,...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox one s has had a bandwidth of zero for the past two weeks and no games will load,...: I have restarted, hard reset, and unplugged the Xbox so many times. Nothing will load and everything is slow. I was able to get the bandwidth of the 31st when everything started to slow down and...
  8. Limit bandwidth consumption for xbox games app downloads

in XBoX on Consoles
    Limit bandwidth consumption for xbox games app downloads: I'm trying to figure out how to put a bandwidth cap on any updates/downloads within the xbox app on PC. I know it uses delivery optimization service and currently have an absolute bandwidth limit...
  9. Does the new xbox series x use a lot more internet bandwidth than the xbox one x did?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the new xbox series x use a lot more internet bandwidth than the xbox one x did?: My parents had to upgrade our home internet to unlimited bandwidth plan, just last week I traded in my older xbox for the xbox series x model, since than I had a few games to upgrade and one to...
  10. XBOX Series X network adapter possible either due to Failure or bandwidth capping....

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XBOX Series X network adapter possible either due to Failure or bandwidth capping....: Hi, I have already completed a gauntlet of troubleshooting, and I have isolated the issue to the XBOX Series X. As I read in other places I am able to see that users mostly are able to get close...