Auto-shutdown broken

Discus and support Auto-shutdown broken in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My 360 has developed a problem with the auto-shutdown feature. My console is set to shut down after one hour of inactivity. But it is not fully... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Malacath, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Malacath
    Malacath Guest

Auto-shutdown broken

My 360 has developed a problem with the auto-shutdown feature.

My console is set to shut down after one hour of inactivity.

But it is not fully shutting down.

The console looks like it's fully on. The controller light on the ring of light is still lit to suggest the controller is connected but it's not.

The fan is still going.

But it is not doing any background downloads. I know this because I have switched off the router which would normally end any background download but it still doesn't shut down.

If I switch the TV to the xbox channel there is no picture

If I switch on the controller nothing happens. The controller wont even connect to the xbox.

What I have to do is press the power button on the console for it to shut down. Only then will the controller be able to connect and wake the console.

So does this happen to anyone else?

I know for a fact it is not caused by auto download feature so please don't suggest that.

I'm trying to work out if my console is on it's last legs or if it's a problem in the last dashboard update.

:)

Malacath, Nov 6, 2014
  2. Mister Cerb
    Mister Cerb Guest
    Auto Shutdown

Hey there amitso! Did you give those steps that Mister Fizzle posted a shot? If so, let us know how they went and we'll work with you from there! ^_^

Mister Cerb, Nov 6, 2014
  3. Auto Shutdown

Hey there , is you`re xbox turning on and off or just shuts down ?

COMMANDO KID 00, Nov 6, 2014
  4. Auto-shutdown broken

I've had similar problems but not one exactly like that. I usually do the unplug everything for a few minutes method and it usually does the job. You could try clearing the system cache because it may think it needs to download something but goes into that
    state on accident. Just some suggestions but not for sure fixes I guess. Hopefully they work.

EskimoSquirrels, Nov 6, 2014
  5. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    Ok thanks.

I've cleared the cache. I've also ran initial setup again because as far as I know that's the closest thing to a factory reset.

I'll just need to see how it goes.

Malacath, Nov 6, 2014
  6. It sucks you have to reset but yeah that issue would bother me too so I would probably do the same.

EskimoSquirrels, Nov 6, 2014
  7. Malacath
    Malacath Guest
    It's ok the initial setup doesn't actually delete anything on the hard drive. It's just makes you go through language and network setup again.

Malacath, Nov 6, 2014
  8. Auto-shutdown broken

Oh alright. I know one option I saw was a factory reset so thats what I thought you meant at first. Tell me how it goes though. Hopefully you get it worked out.

EskimoSquirrels, Oct 31, 2018
  9. EskimoSquirrels Win User

Auto-shutdown broken

It sucks you have to reset but yeah that issue would bother me too so I would probably do the same.
  10. EskimoSquirrels Win User

Auto-shutdown broken

Oh alright. I know one option I saw was a factory reset so thats what I thought you meant at first. Tell me how it goes though. Hopefully you get it worked out.
  11. Malacath Win User

Auto-shutdown broken

It's ok the initial setup doesn't actually delete anything on the hard drive. It's just makes you go through language and network setup again.
  12. Malacath Win User

Auto-shutdown broken

Ok thanks.

I've cleared the cache. I've also ran initial setup again because as far as I know that's the closest thing to a factory reset.

I'll just need to see how it goes.
  13. EskimoSquirrels Win User

Auto-shutdown broken

I've had similar problems but not one exactly like that. I usually do the unplug everything for a few minutes method and it usually does the job. You could try clearing the system cache because it may think it needs to download something but goes into that
    state on accident. Just some suggestions but not for sure fixes I guess. Hopefully they work.
Thema:

Auto-shutdown broken

1. Auto-shutdown broken - Similar Threads - Auto shutdown broken

2. I lost my player career mode when I auto saved two careers while playing online. Can I get...

in XBoX on Windows
    I lost my player career mode when I auto saved two careers while playing online. Can I get...: Is there any way to get it back? 7b2f01a3-6268-4912-bdd3-af574b74e876
  3. Xbox One X Auto Shutdown?overheating message #Fornite Only

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox One X Auto Shutdown?overheating message #Fornite Only: My Xbox One X Occasionally auto shuts down and when rebooted gives the overheating warning..........Now I can play apex legends for 5 hours straight with no issues my son plays Fortnite for 30mins...
  4. YouTube bypassing Auto-shutdown

in XBoX Games and Apps
    YouTube bypassing Auto-shutdown: Hello, I use my xBox to watch stuff to fall asleep to every night as well as for gaming. I have auto shutdown set to kick in after an hour of inactivity which works on other media apps like...
  5. Xbox Auto Shutdown? 01-15-20 5:35p

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Auto Shutdown? 01-15-20 5:35p: Need some help and hopefully this can be seen by a support/technical staff member. In the middle of playing Halo2 with the improved graphics and my Xbox just randomly shuts down? I noticed some...
  6. Xbox One S Auto Shutdown with Wired Ethernet Connection

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox One S Auto Shutdown with Wired Ethernet Connection: My Xbox One S has a habit for automatically shutting down only once I hook in the wired Ethernet cable. The unit is not overheating, a common auto-shutdown culprit, because the only instance in...
  7. Auto shutdown problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto shutdown problem: hi, I like to do my downloads overnight as my broadband is not the fastest. I set the box to auto shutdown after 1 hours inactivity. The problem is that downloads are not seen as an activity so...
  8. 自动关机 [Translation - Auto shutdown]

in XBoX Games and Apps
    自动关机 [Translation - Auto shutdown]: 新买的XBOXONES一玩游戏就自动关机 [Translated - The newly bought Xboxones automatically shuts down as soon as he plays the game] 04bd759f-958b-43ea-a581-d447a6ee2883
  9. Auto shutdown problem

in XBoX on Consoles
    Auto shutdown problem: hi, I like to do my downloads overnight as my broadband is not the fastest. I set the box to auto shutdown after 1 hours inactivity. The problem is that downloads are not seen as an activity so...
  10. 360 Auto-shutdown feature - advice needed

in XBoX on Consoles
    360 Auto-shutdown feature - advice needed: Hi all, This is a bit of a "non-issue" but I'd be interested in a solution none the less. I have the Auto-Shutdown feature enabled and set to 1 hour. If I leave my 360 on whilst downstairs or...