As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space?

Discus and support As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; When it comes to current gen gaming, why do the games themselves take up such an insane amount of space? Even games that are the same, just ported over... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Randall Jimbles, Feb 4, 2017.

1. As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space?

When it comes to current gen gaming, why do the games themselves take up such an insane amount of space? Even games that are the same, just ported over to next gen take up more space there. Call of Duty: Ghosts, a cross-gen game, was only 10 or so GBs where
    as it takes up a whopping 40 over on Xbox One. It honestly doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and it's irritating too when Microsoft advertises the 500GB Xbox One as being something special when in reality I have 7 games installed. Not to mention you can no
    longer play games off of the disc.

Anybody wanna chime in on why this is?

:)

Randall Jimbles, Feb 4, 2017
  2. gencid
    gencid Guest
    How long will your backlog take you

My backlog will take me well into the next generation and the next one after it. I'd be happy if I even cleared up my last generation backlog this generation, let alone the current generation one.

gencid, Feb 4, 2017
  3. isturbo1
    isturbo1 Guest
    Another ***** Crusades Against Video Games "for ice cream" (no joke)

isturbo1, Feb 4, 2017
  4. Burnin TODI
    Burnin TODI Guest

Gamers complain and argue about having the most "P" 's for their console gaming...the console makers and producers follow that trendline. I also am guessing that there are often folders stored in the game that have future expansion/dlc files in them too.
    Also, uncompressed audio is a huge component of modern games. Get used to it, because everyone is whining about 4k gaming and who will or won't have it....those files are going to be even larger. I envision discs getting phased out in favor of cheap flash
    memory cards.

Burnin TODI, Feb 4, 2017
  5. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    Games are much bigger now & xbox one games are in a different format than 360 ones,they are on Blu-ray discs now.

As Burning said,they are probably only going to get bigger

Daft Badger, Feb 5, 2017
  6. Shaggy2000
    Shaggy2000 Guest
    Ok, you want the reasons why modern games take up more space?

Ok here are the reasons:

1 All of those high res textures that we all love, they take up a load of space.

2 Uncompressed audio files also take up huge amounts of space.

3 High res movie files take up more space

Basically that's the reason, we all want bigger, shinier, louder, but we don't want the games to take up more space.

I remember playing the demo to the original Duke Nukem 3D on my old 486 PC, it came on 3 floppy discs (that's 1.4 MB per disc kids) so there we go, in a little over twenty years we've gone from under 10MB to over 50GB.

Shaggy2000, Feb 7, 2017
  7. The one thing no-one mentions. DRM.

Yes, encoding a game to a particular gt and console also takes up space.

ElectroFlying, Feb 7, 2017
  8. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest

Noone mentions DRM because it does not take a significant amount of space. Not even close.

BrianGunter, Feb 7, 2017
  9. B e L L z
    B e L L z Guest
    Due to the amount of content, resolutions, textures, and etc being at a significantly higher level, games are much larger. Also with the addition of bluray to Xbox discs can hold a much larger amount of data.

B e L L z, Feb 7, 2017
  10. Is that right? Well, if it's not too much to ask.

Prove it!

Best guess on my part is that DRM occupies at least a gig of space, no matter whether didital or physical copy, per installed game.

So do you have any proof, or tangible evidence that its less than a gig per game?

ElectroFlying, Feb 8, 2017
  11. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    Go research it yourself if you're that interested, I'm not your personal Google assistant. DRM is coding, not images/audio/etc. It does not take significant space. If it was anywhere near a GB then how are there games less than 1 GB available? How about
    MP3s from iTunes, why aren't they huge?

If you don't understand something, try researching it instead of just making up random fantasies in your own head.

BrianGunter, Feb 8, 2017
  12. As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space? [​IMG]

Goth Vampirella, Feb 8, 2017
  13. As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space?

Can't prove it eh?

Knew ya couldn't!

ElectroFlying, Feb 8, 2017
  14. BrianGunter
    BrianGunter Guest
    Can't do anything for yourself, eh? Knew ya couldn't.

Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time trying to spoon feed you. I'll at least help you get started though.

LMGTFY

Still waiting on an explanation on how there are games available that are well under 1GB when in your little world DRM takes up 1GB. Or how about those iTunes MP3s?

On second thought, never mind. I don't actually care what mindless nonsensical dribble you'll come up with.

BrianGunter, Feb 8, 2017
  15. Daft Badger
    Daft Badger Guest
    What are you on about? DRM doesn't take up hardly any space at all,it's just a small bit of code.

Daft Badger, Feb 8, 2017
Thema:

1. As a general statement, why do current generation games take up so much space? - Similar Threads - general statement why

2. Alright so... topic: Cheaters, Modders, Smurf Accounts, and Griefers on general.

in XBoX on Windows
    Alright so... topic: Cheaters, Modders, Smurf Accounts, and Griefers on general.: Hello, I'm curious in the sense if my reports even make it into the xbox system about alot of the cheaters I come across and how they can fight smurf or fake extra accounts to avoid bans. Game...
  3. Is there a general purpose driver for Xbox 360 flight sticks

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a general purpose driver for Xbox 360 flight sticks: I have an Xbox 360 Ace edge I wonder if there's a driver for it I would like to use the extra features and I would also like it not to show up at 360 controller hori doesn't have a driver on their...
  4. How do i disable create new desktop? or just the entire desktop thing in general

in XBoX Accessibility
    How do i disable create new desktop? or just the entire desktop thing in general: Every single time i use ctrl in a video game i fatfinger windows and open a new virtual desktop. please help me find a way to disable this horrible feature. bd5498ed-7b61-4a96-9a0e-b5f76a1d7b8c
  5. General question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    General question: The only copy they have available for the game in question is for the Xbox 360 is there a way that copy could be playable on Xbox one 79e463a2-bb77-4ef9-9f16-c2dbf73c1947
  6. General Question

in XBoX Games and Apps
    General Question: How would I be able to purchase mortal kombat vs dc digitally on Xbox one It states not currently available is there a time window where it would be available again for buyers...
  7. Anyone else experience insanely slow dashboard navigation/loading in general after most...

in XboX Insiders
    Anyone else experience insanely slow dashboard navigation/loading in general after most...: Alpha Skip Ahead here. When I turn on my Xbox Series X, the whole home screen takes a long time to completely load. Search for game updates, the same thing. Even simple things like profiles and...
  8. Turtle Beach Recon 50x Headset Not Working / General Headset Issues

in XBoX on Consoles
    Turtle Beach Recon 50x Headset Not Working / General Headset Issues: I have a turtle beach recon 50x Headset, which is one of the cheaper headsets, but is mostly good. However I've had issues with it. Here are some possible Headset issues and points: 1. Try...
  9. Xbox Support misdirecting people to this sub for General Support Issues

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox Support misdirecting people to this sub for General Support Issues: I am not the only one to notice a steady increase of individuals coming to this sub with general xbox support questions stating that they were directed here by Xbox Support. This only leads to...
  10. XCloud (Cloud gaming) & general Xbox support for the Faroe Islands

in XBoX Games and Apps
    XCloud (Cloud gaming) & general Xbox support for the Faroe Islands: Most Microsoft business products are supported on the Faroe Islands (part of Denmark). I was curious if there is any chances of seeing support for XCloud (Cloud Gaming) support here? Additionally,...