Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

Discus and support Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating! in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Setting the volume isn't the issue. It's the varying levels of volumes between all the apps. For example: my game may be "5", the ad running at "7",... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Jinxed Violynne, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

Setting the volume isn't the issue. It's the varying levels of volumes between all the apps.

For example: my game may be "5", the ad running at "7", and the video running at "3".

The sound isn't at a consistent level. I know some ads are loud because advertisers are jerks, but the 360 doesn't have this problem.

Jinxed Violynne, Jan 23, 2014
  2. Randver
    Randver Guest
    [quote user="VLT034 Violynne"]

Setting the volume isn't the issue. It's the varying levels of volumes between all the apps.

For example: my game may be "5", the ad running at "7", and the video running at "3".

The sound isn't at a consistent level. I know some ads are loud because advertisers are jerks, but the 360 doesn't have this problem.

[/quote]

I'm having that same issue. I don't know if it's the One or some combination of the One and my Zvox sound box.

I have to turn Hulu and Netflix way up to hear them and then hopefully remember to turn it down before I switch back to TV or a game. It's not just a minor difference in volume either it's rather large. I don't know how long you've had your One but this just
    started occurring for me a couple weeks ago, I didn't have the issue until then and no hardware changes on my end.

Randver, Jan 23, 2014
  3. I don't quite understand whats upsetting to you about the process of closing apps. Another person answered you on how to do it, but were you thinking there was a "task manager" of sorts? I would like to see something that shows all running apps and lets
    you close them, but it seems like common sense to me that if you wanted to close, lets say, netflix, while it wasn't active and you were at the dash, that you'd have to be on that app to be able to access the menu for it. It wouldn't make a lot of sense for
    you to close netflix while having Xbox Music selected. Also, while it is nice to keep an eye on what you've got open, it doesn't rely on battery power like the devices that you're probably use to having to control the apps in the background - so I'm not sure
    why you would worry about something being left open in the background. I'm pretty sure all the apps suspend in the background (except for skype for obvious reasons) and I haven't personally seen a situation where having a number of apps open has affected system
    performance.

Matthew Marion, Jan 24, 2014
  4. Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

Voice control for ejecting discs? When you have to get up to swap the disc anyway? It takes all of two seconds for the system to eject your disc.

Unreal Warfare, Jan 24, 2014
  5. "I don't quite understand whats upsetting to you about the process of closing apps. Another person answered you on how to do it, but were you thinking there was a "task manager" of sorts?"

What's upsetting is the lack of information on how to do it, when starting the console up for the very first time.

In case you forgot, once you register, there's a video that starts playing, showing off Ryse, Forza 5, and a few other games.

How many people do you know would instantly press the "B" button to exit the video? Try most, if not all, of them. It's how the 360 does it, and most games use the "B" button to exit out of menus.

I wouldn't mind this had a TUTORIAL VIDEO started first, but instead, I get an [expletive] ad shoved in my face the second I register my console. That's not good.

As for the disk eject, other forums show I'm not the only person upset by the lack of a software control on this. For crying out loud, every DVD/BD player has a button on a remote for this, yet the XB1, the latest in technology, can't even muster a button
    on the controller? That's just lame. As I said, *having the disk already ejected* by the time I get up to swap it is a very nice convenience to have.

I get you're a fan of the XBox. So am I. My post said I was frustrated, which is an appropriate feeling when "getting used to a new layout" is the fault of a poorly designed menu system and lack of proper tutorials to educate us.

I wasn't the only one who had a problem finding the Settings options. If this isn't a warning to you the UI is at fault, then you shouldn't reply with your condescending tone of "Why does it matter?".

It does matter because it's what we expect a $500 console to do.

Jinxed Violynne, Jan 24, 2014
  6. Kiddeth
    Kiddeth Guest
    I had no information on the console. ( other than it was the new Xbox and i wanted it )

It came with no instruction manual.

I did have many of the same problems as the OP.

What I did not do was go all whinny and cryie about it, I simply looked at the screen and then figured out that there was a start and a back button just like on the 360 to get into the menus, Problem solved 5 min.

I swear it is a sad state of affairs when people want everything handed to them from the most complex to then down right simple.

Kiddeth, Jan 24, 2014
  7. OP, don't worry - you'll get used to it over time & as such I urge that you don't be so quick to want to throw it out. My advice? Don't compare it to the Xbox 360 - it's not the same & you'll only stress yourself out trying to; it's brand new & like all
    new things, has a bit of a learning curve. Also, if you're not already doing so, learn the Kinect Voice Commands - it makes almost everything easier & faster.

Galactic Geek, Jan 24, 2014
  8. Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

@Kiddeth,

I've been a Microsoft developer for over 20 years. I build applications, both for the PC and the internet. When there's bad UI, it needs to be addressed.

Keep this in mind the next time you also had many of the same problems.

YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO "FIGURE IT OUT".

As a programmer, I consider it a failure if people can't use my software without having to run to Google, a help section, or playing around for hours trying to figure it out.

As the world's most successful software maker, so should Microsoft.

Jinxed Violynne, Jan 24, 2014
  9. I find the UI quite easy to navigate. Utilize the voice controls it was designed around and your problem fades. If you don't like voice control, you probably should have watched a few more product demos, I'm not sure they ever held controllers in the product
    demos...

Major Keebler, Jan 24, 2014
  10. [quote user="kingvas78"]
    I don't understand the disc eject issue? You still physically have to get up to switch disc's, whats the excitement of having it eject from your seat?

-

Is X1 expected to manually switch disc's also?

[/quote] Exactly!

DocHolliday 7, Jan 24, 2014
  11. McNeelyJ
    McNeelyJ Guest
    smart glass can also control the tv volume as well, found the smart glass app for xbox one (there is an xbox one and an xbox 360 app...they are different) fixes a lot of my little hiccups with using my Xbox One.

McNeelyJ, Jan 24, 2014
  12. x24hrs2livex
    x24hrs2livex Guest
    [quote user="VLT034 Violynne"]

@Kiddeth,

I've been a Microsoft developer for over 20 years. I build applications, both for the PC and the internet. When there's bad UI, it needs to be addressed.

Keep this in mind the next time you also had many of the same problems.

YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO "FIGURE IT OUT".

As a programmer, I consider it a failure if people can't use my software without having to run to Google, a help section, or playing around for hours trying to figure it out.

As the world's most successful software maker, so should Microsoft.

[/quote]

Wait how can you say you should never have to figure it out? Are you supposed to be prewired on how to use new tech? I got a new tv and I had to figure out how to use it because it was different then my last tv.

x24hrs2livex, Jan 24, 2014
  13. Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

Smartglass is your friend. Essential if you ask me, especially for sending messages. Also watching people's game clips and other things.

total ownership, Jan 24, 2014
  14. OP I hear your list of many things you dont like or expected,sounds like you want a smart phone or a tablet because not once have you mentioned games? Its a games console.

xPsycoticBreakx, Jan 24, 2014
  15. And you work for microsoft and have no idea what the xbox one is about?????

xPsycoticBreakx, Jan 24, 2014
Thema:

Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating!

1. Argh! The XB1 is so frustrating! - Similar Threads - Argh XB1 frustrating

2. Can you use a XB1/XBS controller on a Xb360 with a cable?

in XBoX on Windows
    Can you use a XB1/XBS controller on a Xb360 with a cable?: Can you use a XB1/XBS controller on a Xb360 with a cable? (( I know they cant connect wireless because they are a different system )) 490f2abe-141e-4691-a288-7eee0056e9f2
  3. PLEASE HELP Katana Zero XB1 Freezing issue. Im a Katana Zero speedrunner and mod for the...

in XboX Insiders
    PLEASE HELP Katana Zero XB1 Freezing issue. Im a Katana Zero speedrunner and mod for the...: Example of freeze The freeze only occurs on Xbox (not on pc or switch) and is caused by how Xbox handles saving. Its possible it occurs due to cloud saving and evidence of this is the freeze does...
  4. Offline game transfer from xb1 s to xb series s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Offline game transfer from xb1 s to xb series s?: Hello, I have a x1s that has most of my games and saves, and a new xb series s that Ive designated as my home console, with a few of the games already downloaded l. The problem(s): I no longer...
  5. Xb1 remote play public wi-fi issues

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xb1 remote play public wi-fi issues: Xbox 1 S and Windows 10 Dell G3 laptop... the console stays at home on my home network ethernet. Remote play works if I use my 4g cellular data to make my phone a hotspot for my laptop. But on...
  6. XB1 controller LS button won’t press anymore

in XboX Insiders
    XB1 controller LS button won’t press anymore: After spamming the sprint button in every game I play, my left stick has stopped pressing down consistently. It makes it really hard to consistently sprint when I want to. Any recommendations on...
  7. Got all minikits. But it is not registering! ARgh

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Got all minikits. But it is not registering! ARgh: I got all minikits in the Out of Time level. My minikit detector are pointing to the three statues that I have to blow up in the level. I have obviously done that multiple times now, but it is...
  8. Argh... 1 Document Missing

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Argh... 1 Document Missing: Seriously I'm missing just one document in the Soviet Installation and The Acropolis. Any idea why they aren't showing up on the map for me even when I've discovered everything else in each zone?...
  9. argh!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    argh!: So whats the deal with xbox not allowing me to use their own pre paid monthly cards ? But allowing me to use my debit card……..It tells me my account has been locked from making purchases! But as I...
  10. ARGH keep getting team killed with vehicles! :(

in XBoX Games and Apps
    ARGH keep getting team killed with vehicles! :(: It's so annoying. You're trying to run to an objective, you hear that approaching vehicle driven by a teammate, then it goes white on the minimap and KILLED IN ACTION. It's gotten to the point...